Pieces never done by Corps

I like the idea of using Phrygian Gates. I also think some of the newer concert band literature written for younger groups (grades 2-4) could be useful. A lot of it is written to be exciting and to have a fast pace. Good brass and percussion arrangers could jack up some tempos, embellish some lines, and add "breaks" to show off techniques (runs, percussion features, etc.), and maybe create some impressive stuff. It seems like this would also allow for good visual interpretation.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea of using Phrygian Gates.  I also think some of the newer concert band literature written for younger groups (grades 2-4) could be useful.  A lot of it is written to be exciting and to have a fast pace.  Good brass and percussion arrangers could jack up some tempos, embellish some lines, and add "breaks" to show off techniques (runs, percussion features, etc.), and maybe create some impressive stuff.  It seems like this would also allow for good visual interpretation.

Gah, no more runs! I hate when corps nowadays park randomly in their shows and just play a bunch of runs that have nothing to do with anything, and weren't even in the original piece of music! Biggest culprits...BD and SCV

Allegro Barbaro by Bella Bartok (another perfect one for Phantom)

ACK, I played this in my HS Marching band, the piece itself sounds good, but our arrangement was terrible.

I like the idea of using Phrygian Gates.

It doesn't seem like it could possibly work. The pacing, the volume, the voice, the mood, none of it matches what a drum corps is trying to accomplish. And yet, the wistful, imaginative part of my brain can't help but be enamoured by the thought of "yeah, but what if..."

I'd love to hear 'Feeling Good' by Michael Buble done by the Devils....

Okay I'll finally wade into this topic.

Most of the contemporary wind ensemble works will eventually find their way into someone's program. You can make anything work if you are creative enough. I'm leaning more towards old school military band stuff and band works from the 60s through the 80s.

An Original Suite - Gordon Jacob

More recent:

Overture Energico - Barnes

I'm sure more will cross my mind later.

gil

You totally read my mind on An Original Suite. The community band I'm in playing it in our next concert (our inaugural). We've also read through Overture Energico (I have both pieces in front of me right now).

I thought of another one: "Six Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm" by Bartok. The London Brass did it on their "Tea for Two" album. Might be a stretch, but it'd sound cool.