Pieces never done by Corps

Okay I'll finally wade into this topic.

Most of the contemporary wind ensemble works will eventually find their way into someone's program. You can make anything work if you are creative enough. I'm leaning more towards old school military band stuff and band works from the 60s through the 80s.

An Original Suite - Gordon Jacob

Three Folk Tunes - Holst [the original sketch for the opening movement of Suite No. 2]

Toccata - Fisher Tull

The Final Covenant - Fisher Tull

Gazebo Dances - Corigliano

Alvamar Overture - Barnes

Less difficult works but still possible:

Short Prelude With Perspectives - Caruso

Fanfare with Flourishes and Mutanza - Curnow

More recent:

Overture Energico - Barnes

I'm sure more will cross my mind later.

gil

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bunch of original Philip Glass on vinyl performed by Kenton.

As much as I like it I think putting it on the field would be a real stretch. If anyone could do it Wayne could.

A little more contemporary, I think a Paul Simon show with material from Graceland and Saints could make a fun show.

Russ:

What album is that ? The only thing I have in my Kenton collection even close to that description is the Graettinger City of Glass cd?

gil

Someone mentioned Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 3 - great piece!  I see that as part of a 'Prokofiev' show - kind of like SCVs 04 show.  Music could be drawn from the 5th Symphony (2nd movement especially!), Romeo and Juliet (a long work with many short movements - perfect for DC adaptation - and no copyright issues!), with the closer being the 3rd concerto last movement.

I would love to see a Romeo and Juliet show, but there are TONS of copyright issues, unfortunately. All Prokofiev music is not in the public domain, and getting copyright on certain Russian works is a pain in the tuckus. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why this work has not been explored is because of some restriction. I would LOVE to see Regiment do it.

Another great work I'm nearly sure has never been done - Sinfonietta by Janacek.  Whoo hoo! - this work would be ideal for any corps that likes to play sustained lines (Cavies, SCV, Phanton, Cadets - maybe Glassmen or BK)  The work begins with a fanfare and then ends some 23 minutes later with a return to that same fanfare - perfect cyclical structure.  Obviously would need some trimming - but once again, no copyright issues!

Actually, this too has copyright issues, because i tried to publish an edition of the Sokol Fanfare (opening movement of Sinfonietta) and was told it was written in 1927....4 years after the cut off date for Public Domain. Basically, if it was written before 1923, it's in the public domain, after that...no.

Rachmaninoff - Symphonic Dances.  Yes, I know all you Phantom phreaks - Phantom 'says' they played this is 95 or whatever - but in reality, the arrangement was so poor, it's as if they never did it.  The work deserves a much better treatment - an 11.5 minute treatment. 

Regiment's version was a little too choppy for my taste, but the mixed meters in the other sections make it a very hard piece to put on the field...there's probably a reason Regiment didn't do more of it....it's a great tune, though...one of my faves.

Hey, you know what's great about that soundtrack for a drum corps show!?

annie-lennox.jpg

Annie Lennox can reprise her vocals for the production  B)

You definitely have a right to your opinion, but...........

<edit - #### it>

Edited by Blue Devil Legend

I think there might be some newer Cirque du Soleil stuff that hasn't been performed.

I think it would be interesting to hear some Danny Elfman music or the film score from the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I'm pretty certain that hasn't been played before).

And it would be interesting to hear some Miles Davis tunes on the field such as "So What?" and "Freddie Freeloader." "All Blues" is also good. In fact, ALL of the tunes from the album "Kind of Blue" would work well for drum corps, IMO.

For a ballad, I would like to hear Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat." Absolutely beautiful. And has Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight" been performed before?

:)

Didn't mean to confuse things guys.

Specifically what I have on vinyl is:

1. Kenton conducts City of Glass - Side A and This Modern World Side B ...Capitol Records.

2. Kenton conducts City of Glass...Capitol Records

Side B - Dance

Reflections

Side A - Entrance

Structures

Both albums are 33 1/3, the second is a smaller disc.

I have some Kenton on 45's as well that I was thinking of when I posted that:

1. Blues in Riff/ Mardi Gras

2. Malaguena/ A-Ting-A-Ling

3. Pagliacci/ Santa Lucia

4. Harlem Nocturne/ Hush-A-Bye

Hope that clarifies things.

Edited by dckid80

I think there might be some newer Cirque du Soleil stuff that hasn't been performed.

I think it would be interesting to hear some Danny Elfman music or the film score from the Lord of the Rings trilogy (I'm pretty certain that hasn't been played before).

And it would be interesting to hear some Miles Davis tunes on the field such as "So What?" and "Freddie Freeloader."  "All Blues" is also good.  In fact, ALL of the tunes from the album "Kind of Blue" would work well for drum corps, IMO.

For a ballad, I would like to hear Charles Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat."  Absolutely beautiful.  And has Thelonious Monk's "Round Midnight" been performed before?

:)

About the only Miles album I would put on the field is Sketches of Spain. Kind of Blue is on HEAVY rotation in my cd player but I would walk out before a corps plays something from it. "All Blues" could work in the cut and paste style of some corps.

Mingus has some stuff that would work. The Epitaph cd is has some good stuff on it.

Now as far as music from films, I would go with Goldsmith’s “Chinatown,” Ellington’s “Anatomy of a Murder,” or Herrmann’s “Taxi Driver.”

Oh... I just got a good idea.... time to change my Olympiad show

Didn't mean to confuse things guys.

Specifically what I have on vinyl is:

1.  Kenton conducts City of Glass - Side A and This Modern World Side B ...Capitol Records.

2. Kenton conducts City of Glass...Capitol Records

Side B - Dance

Reflections

Side A - Entrance

Structures

Okay, glad I wasn't about to lose my mind searching for more Kenton to add to the collection. The works on that album are by Bob Graettinger and would be very interesting to hear on the field. Blue Devils could do justice to them as could a corps looking for a new direction.

gil