Lewisburg 7/23

Definitely some names there that "sound familiar" though none from the "power 6" that was our '95 Bari line (well, 5 1/2 if you figure Fifi!).  *CHUCKLE*  Where is the Friday rehearsal on Aug. 5th?  I would have ducked into the rehearsal this upcoming Friday but all y'all are skipping town a bit early!

Dave

This year, we have "Power 20" instead on simply power 6. Unless you count just the six euphs. I believe we're at Buc Field on the 5th.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the compliment, Eric.

The Buccaneer hornline works very, very hard, and we're benefiting from a very good brass staff (even Dave Linton...I kid!). The transition to Bb has also helped, I think.

As for the age, we do have a lot of "youngsters", but we have our fair share of old-timers too. The Bari/Euph line in particular has a wealth of age and experience.

Of the 20 members of the bari line, here's a rough breakdown:

5 are Under 21

5 are 22-29

5 are 30-39

4 are 41-49

1 is at the big 50

The euph line in particular looks like this: 2 over 40, 3 in the mid-upper 30's, and one under 18 (go Kelly!).

There are folks in thier 30's scattered throughout the hornline, with the oldest member (Walt Street, mello) being "over 50". The youngest is in the trumpet line at 14 (a two-year vet).

If I had to guess an average age for the whole line of 60 brass, I'd probably peg it around 26-27 or so, with the extremes at both ends of the spectrum not throwing things off too much.

As for the book we're playing, it's a total gas. We love every note of the show, but of course the end of the Adagio is our favorite. Anyone who stuck around for the post-show concert got that one up close and personal last night.

looks like Walt is screwing up the average age :P

I never said you wanted to be average....that's for sure. and man...with you and Arnie marching, Kathy Hepner is kicking herself for not driving up.

Youngest Hornline:  Reading.  I watched them come off the field and I couldn't believe how young virtually everyone looked.  I counted 62 horns and I bet there weren't 10 people over the age of 30. 

The air at Buc Field must certainly lead to a youthful appearance! A good number of us trumpeters are over 27. Heck, a couple of us are closer to 40 than 30! Thanks, though, for making us feel young(er)! The crowd reaction on Saturday made me feel like a kid!

:)

I never said you wanted to be average....that's for sure. and man...with you and Arnie marching, Kathy Hepner is kicking herself for not driving up.

Her loss. There aren't many shows that close to her. If she comes around, rnie and I will help her with a few kicks of our own.

she will be at prelims. I made her swear on that rat of a dog she still has

• 5 years later...

One more thing........Reading's hornline has the makings of one of the best I have ever seen in DCA. Although I prefer Spanish/Latin music over Classical from the standpoint of pure listening enjoyment, Reading is something else. They are on a different level than everyone else right now and that isn't a dig on the rest of the corps.......that is a testament to how good Reading is this year.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

:cool: