Lewisburg 7/23

I was just a little interested in the website results being posted at 9:45 p.m.

Live results weren't read until 10:00 p.m.

I listened to them over the phone.

:worthy:

I could be wrong, but my guess is that this website isn't hosted in the Eastern Time Zone. I am writing this post at 3:40PM, but the timestamp of the post will be earlier in the day than that.

Anyhow..........on the Flight back from Newark I thought of some superlatives I would like to hand out:)

Best Drum Major: Reading. I thought this guy should have take it last year in Scranton.

Best Mellophone Line: Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni

Best Soloist: Richie Price (sp?). Are you kidding me. I hate to stay it, but I didn't see one 2nd of Empire's Show because I was watching him to see what he was going to do next. For those who have never heard this guy play......picture Joe Pero (Provided you have heard him play) and throw in 30 more years worth of playing time. If you have never heard Joe Pero.....then just picture this......RP hits notes that make other great soloists on the field sound like they are playing contra:) Unreal projection and intonation. There is nothing on a trumpet this guy can't do.

Best Drumline: Hawthorne competing corps. Never stopped and man do they look sharp out there. I love those wine color shells.

Youngest Hornline: Reading. I watched them come off the field and I couldn't believe how young virtually everyone looked. I counted 62 horns and I bet there weren't 10 people over the age of 30.

Small World Story: When I first moved to Atlanta 5 years ago, I worked at a company called S1. I was in a meeting and arrived early. I began talking to a guy in the room about having to go out of town in a few weeks for a Drum Corps Show. He asked me where and I said Syracuse, NY for the Senior Drum and Bugle Corps World Championships. He looks at me and says.......oh yeah.....my brother is the Director for the Bushwackers. I said......your are f'in kidding me.....he said nope. Still a little suspicious, I went to finals and saw with my own eyes Jay Morlot......an obvious relative of the guy in the meeting Ed. Only told this one because of seeing Bush last night.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing........Reading's hornline has the makings of one of the best I have ever seen in DCA. Although I prefer Spanish/Latin music over Classical from the standpoint of pure listening enjoyment, Reading is something else. They are on a different level than everyone else right now and that isn't a dig on the rest of the corps.......that is a testament to how good Reading is this year.

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Youngest Hornline:  Reading.  I watched them come off the field and I couldn't believe how young virtually everyone looked.  I counted 62 horns and I bet there weren't 10 people over the age of 30. 

Eric Watters

Atlanta, Ga.

Thanks for the compliment, Eric.

The Buccaneer hornline works very, very hard, and we're benefiting from a very good brass staff (even Dave Linton...I kid!). The transition to Bb has also helped, I think.

As for the age, we do have a lot of "youngsters", but we have our fair share of old-timers too. The Bari/Euph line in particular has a wealth of age and experience.

Of the 20 members of the bari line, here's a rough breakdown:

5 are Under 21

5 are 22-29

5 are 30-39

4 are 41-49

1 is at the big 50

The euph line in particular looks like this: 2 over 40, 3 in the mid-upper 30's, and one under 18 (go Kelly!).

There are folks in thier 30's scattered throughout the hornline, with the oldest member (Walt Street, mello) being "over 50". The youngest is in the trumpet line at 14 (a two-year vet).

If I had to guess an average age for the whole line of 60 brass, I'd probably peg it around 26-27 or so, with the extremes at both ends of the spectrum not throwing things off too much.

As for the book we're playing, it's a total gas. We love every note of the show, but of course the end of the Adagio is our favorite. Anyone who stuck around for the post-show concert got that one up close and personal last night.

The euph line in particular looks like this: 2 over 40, 3 in the mid-upper 30's, and one under 18 (go Kelly!).

Just for the record, Kelly is 19 and will be 20 in October :)

Just call him Sean "Flying Fingers" Holton... the fastest man with a computer keyboard!!!!    :worthy:  :blink:

Fran

thought you meant my keyboard playing fran :P

Thanks for the compliment, Eric.

The Buccaneer hornline works very, very hard, and we're benefiting from a very good brass staff (even Dave Linton...I kid!). The transition to Bb has also helped, I think.

As for the age, we do have a lot of "youngsters", but we have our fair share of old-timers too. The Bari/Euph line in particular has a wealth of age and experience.

Of the 20 members of the bari line, here's a rough breakdown:

5 are Under 21

5 are 22-29

5 are 30-39

4 are 41-49

1 is at the big 50

There are folks in thier 30's scattered throughout the hornline, with the oldest member (Walt Street, mello) being "over 50". The youngest is in the trumpet line at 14 (a two-year vet).

If I had to guess an average age for the whole line of 60 brass, I'd probably peg it around 26-27 or so, with the extremes at both ends of the spectrum not throwing things off too much.

As for the book we're playing, it's a total gas. We love every note of the show, but of course the end of the Adagio is our favorite. Anyone who stuck around for the post-show concert got that one up close and personal last night.

20 Baris...talk about bringing tears to "an old man's" eyes! I can't WAIT to see y'all this weekend and in Scranton! I'll be sure to say "AARRRGH" to y'all but not sure anyone there anymore from my time (except Decker, of course, but he's "purple & gold blood!).

Do it to it Baris! Move those trees up the hill another 50 feet!!

Dave

20 Baris...talk about bringing tears to "an old man's" eyes!  I can't WAIT to see y'all this weekend and in Scranton!  I'll be sure to say "AARRRGH" to y'all but not sure anyone there anymore from my time (except Decker, of course, but he's "purple & gold blood!).

Dave

There's a few you might remember....Dan Wildonger, Jerry Ware, Jim Gaiewski, Tom Conroy, Wayne VanOstenbridge. Those cats have been around Bucs forever!

Come by and say hi!

There's a few you might remember....Dan Wildonger, Jerry Ware, Jim Gaiewski, Tom Conroy, Wayne VanOstenbridge. Those cats have been around Bucs forever!

Come by and say hi!

Definitely some names there that "sound familiar" though none from the "power 6" that was our '95 Bari line (well, 5 1/2 if you figure Fifi!). *CHUCKLE* Where is the Friday rehearsal on Aug. 5th? I would have ducked into the rehearsal this upcoming Friday but all y'all are skipping town a bit early!

Dave