Amplification Is Good!

God I love amps.  You stone age guys should go back to sleep.   :P

Wish I could go back to sleep but I gotta go to work. <**> (Us old people have to do that <**> )

Oh yeah, ook, ook..... Translation: I miss my piston/rotor Bari.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started this post to learn. For the most part I have. I know what I like and dislike about amped drum corps. But, I really wanted to learn the pos and cons of amplification. As for the "Dinosaurs" I love the "Dinosaurs" That's how I learn and continue to learn my drum corps history. The stories about "Mighty St Joes" I could go on and on. I think if you really love this activity, learn the history. "Get to know a Dinosaur" You may learn something. My post was named "Amps are Good" for a reason. Not to steal the thunder of the "Amps are bad" people, But to draw the people on the fence out. Thanks for all of the information and for those of you who went negitive. Sometime you have to put down the boxing gloves. Oh, and thanks for the Humor! If you see me in SanAntonio say hi! I'll be the one wearing the Amp your Udu shirt! ( I should trademark that)

i dont really see anyone on the fence. you have three types of fans on amps.

love em

can tolerate but hate the amplified voice

hate everything and anything about em.

i really do hate em period, but i can tolerate the pit being amped and only the pit

Well Jeff, I'm in that middle groove "can tolerate but hate amplified voice". Do I think Amps are good for drum corps? No.... However, do I think that amps allow us to hear all the little nuances that a corps uses for effect (a la BD 04, when you could hear the brushes on the tom)? YES! Do I think that narration is bad? OH HECK YEAH! Do I think drumlines (a pit players) should play the notes and not just "drumspeak" them? YOU DA** RIGHT! I just think that Amps are a double edged sword. Amps are good for all the nuances and the ssofter pit sounds that you would like heard but can't unles your ear is very good. BUT, they should be kept to just that. Not amplifying Tympani, Cymbals, or anything else that can be heard just fine from the pit. That's what DCI should do, allow Amplification (on a voluntary basis) but have guidelines such as "A corps may NOT at any time use narration or vocals for your show or else there's a .2 penalty" and something along those lines. That way you still keep the "older" people liking this activity and they can enjoy ALL of the show's nuances and hidden notes, but you still appeal to the younger generation of fans. Just a suggestion from a younger person who still enjoys traditions before amplification like Bb, Asymmetrical Dill, and Guard doing dance.

Guest DrumCorpFan

Sorry, I forgot that this was supposed to be a non-debate thread. I had asked someone a question about one of his comments. I have now erased it.

Edited by DrumCorpFan

...Oh, and thanks for the Humor! If you see me in SanAntonio say hi! I'll be the one wearing the Amp your Udu shirt! ( I should trademark that)

Good. I was afraid I might have offended you by going humorous, (if that's what it was).

Hey, I'm not going to trademark anything, and if you end up making a button...

Mike

Keep checking on the Amp Your Udu! thread in the "Bored" forum in DCP's Community board.

i dont really see anyone on the fence.

Actually, Jeff - I am that lone fence sitter.

I believe the creative force in DCI boasts some of the most talented people in the world. Thinking back to 1979 with 27th and 1980 with SCV, I remember the flack their staffs caught for the use of asymmetrics. Today, watching the drill of Michael Gaines takes my breath away. I can't imagine the Cadets without the Z pull.

Now, whether or not these creative forces can shape amplification into such an important aspect of this activity remains to be seen. But, I am willing to give them a few years to see what they can do.

Just my opinion.

David

it is an important aspect to some...big moments in shows are planned around it.

yet despite all the pro amps fans statements, i really dont see a lot of burning babies being thrown on the field in support of amps

• 2 years later...

Oh yeah, ook, ook..... Translation: I miss my piston/rotor Bari.

:ph34r::smile::worthy::worthy::ph34r::ph34r::tongue::smile: