If you had to choose one show to define drum corps

2000 Cadets!!!! but that's just because that was the first show i remember....yeah i know, i was a freshman in high school...so it wasn't too long ago

02 cavies

03 bd

03 phantom

04 scv

personally i think these are all pretty good first shows to get someone hooked just by watching for the first time

Edited by tamerxsabha

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a young would-be marcher, then Cavies 04, SCV 04 or PR 03

• 3 years later...
Phantom 96

Cadets 95

Cavies 95

Scouts 95

BD 94

It only took till post #7 for ONE show to grow to a list.

phantom '08

A good choice. That is a great, modern show.

I love all the old corps mentioned, but to show a newbie a program that was done more than a quarter of a century ago is exactly what it looks like, outdated.

I would pick a modern show that's fun, loud, soft, and even non-music fans would recognize most of the music.

The best corps to show to newbies from 2008 would be Carolina Crown.

Edited by wvu80

Agreed...if you showed them 1980 27th lancers.....with the bland unis....rifles with ribbons...high mark time.....they wouldn't understand what DCI is about today. This goes for any drum corps from that era.

27th Lancers? The Khakis? The Red rifle jackets with the tall black hats? Bland unis? I don't think so. Rather, The single best uniforms to ever grace drum corps!!

I think the most logical would be Santa Clara Vanguard 89, Phantom of the Opera. This set the standard for so many years. Great music that is recognizable, some wonderful drill, and the magic disappearance at the end.

there isn't really ONE show that could do the job of exemplifying great drum corps while hooking them into the activity.

you could pick anything from a decently sized list and get the job done. my immediate reaction after reading the first post was to say cavies 04 or phantom 03.

phantom 08/07/06/05/03

cavaliers 08/06/04

bluecoats 08/07/06

carolina crown 08/07

cadets 05/00

those are just the obvious ones, many people would be fine picking phantom 96-89, vanguard since forever, and a whole slew of blue devils shows.