Please Conner....they'd probably love it. You know what I've been watching on ESPN for the past week? LUMBERJACKING!!!! Freaking Log runs, chopping wood, and pole climbing!

Gimme DCI anyday!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Please Conner....they'd probably love it.  You know what I've been watching on ESPN for the past week?  LUMBERJACKING!!!!  Freaking Log runs, chopping wood, and pole climbing! 

Gimme DCI anyday!

lumberjacking is cool! lot of fun to watch. i would however pick a bone with the magic the gathering championships i've seen on espn, hehe.

Please Conner....they'd probably love it.  You know what I've been watching on ESPN for the past week?  LUMBERJACKING!!!!  Freaking Log runs, chopping wood, and pole climbing! 

Gimme DCI anyday!

You know what else I saw during those lumberjack competitions? Major sponsors advertising all over the place and custom-designed jerseys and uniforms for the competitors paid for by said sponsors. This on top of a major advertising push by the network, MONTHS before the actual event.

Let's just pray DCI can achieve the same things the lumberjack competitions have before we scoff at them.

Gimme DCI anyday!

they had the spelling bee on a while ago.

~>conner

I watched some pretty attractive young ladies running across logs in a pool for a little while the other night on ESPN Probably better tv than NHL.

As far as Drum Corps on tv is concerned I think the product they have put on the past few years is very high quality. It's just not the right product.

I watched a movie a while back about spelling bee kids. Wonderful movie, glad I watched it, but I'm not planning on going to a spelling bee anytime soon.

I think the product on the field needs to be the focus the show, with any behind the scenes stuff supporting what is shown on the field. If what the kids present on the field isn't interesting to enough people, it doesn't belong on tv.

I don't want to watch a show about the draft, spring traning, time spent in the batting cages, conditioning, team travel, what baseball means to me, with game highlights. I want to see the World Series. If there is a special story to tell between innings to give enhance the viewers' appreciation bring it on. But the game, or in our case the show, should be the focus. This is our World Series. let it stand on it's own merits.

I think in the world of Reality TV, a live show, with drama stuck between performances to add hype, with a winner declared in real time when it was over would be a winner on TV.

I watched some pretty attractive young ladies running across logs in a pool for a little while the other night on ESPN  Probably better tv than NHL.

As far as Drum Corps on tv is concerned I think the product they have put on the past few years is very high quality.  It's just not the right product.

I watched a movie a while back about spelling bee kids.  Wonderful movie, glad I watched it, but I'm not planning on going to a spelling bee anytime soon.

I think the product on the field needs to be the focus the show, with any behind the scenes stuff supporting what is shown on the field.  If what the kids present on the field isn't interesting to enough people, it doesn't belong on tv.

I don't want to watch a show about the draft, spring traning, time spent in the batting cages, conditioning, team travel, what baseball means to me, with game highlights.  I want to see the World Series.  If there is a special story to tell between innings to give enhance the viewers' appreciation bring it on.  But the game, or in our case the show, should be the focus.  This is our World Series. let it stand on it's own merits.

I think in the world of Reality TV, a live show, with drama stuck between performances to add hype, with a winner declared in real time when it was over would be a winner on TV.

ESPN currently has "The Season" where they pick a specific team and shows all the behind the scenes stuff.

Very good point about "The Season" on ESPN. But do you think if they were covering an obscure sport at an obscure school it would do much to promote the sport? They are covering Notre Dame football this time around, I think, not Univ. of BFE Women's field hockey. And in addition to "The Season" they show a boat load of actual football games.

Edited by RobRoy

yeah in the 1990 pbs broadcast, curt gowdy referred to one corps as a band  <**>

Did Curt mention marching corps himself on one of the broadcasts he did? 89 maybe? If so, I say cut him a little slack. Even if not, cut him some slack, he was a great broadcaster at the end of his career (ok, maybe after the end of his career, but you get the point. He was a nice old guy).

I watched some pretty attractive young ladies running across logs in a pool for a little while the other night on ESPN  Probably better tv than NHL.

Maybe to get guys excited about it, we'll get more guard shots... :)

I watched a movie a while back about spelling bee kids.  Wonderful movie, glad I watched it, but I'm not planning on going to a spelling bee anytime soon.

You watched a movie, and it wasn't on espn2. I think these are different audiences. Also, I'd say most people would agree, drum corps fans or not, that spelling bees do not provide the excitement that a drum corps show does.

I don't want to watch a show about the draft, spring traning, time spent in the batting cages, conditioning, team travel, what baseball means to me, with game highlights.  I want to see the World Series. 

But you're a fan of baseball. And even if you're not, you know enough about it to watch it. Most people don't know what drum corps is about - they can't truly appreciate it without some background. If you say "drum corps" to my parents, they are going to think about my 40ish piece high school band that practiced an hour a day and formed a "P" on the field. I think people will respect drum corps more if they see behind-the-scenes stuff - how much time goes into practice, etc. They could do a cool montage of members practicing, and a football fan might say "dang, this kids work hard" and respect it more.