Obviously the move to ESPN2 is to broaden the fan base.

But does drum corps need more fans?

Do we run the risk of watering down an ever-more shrinking product  (or, in another direction, making it so like BOA that it doesn't even register as drum & bugle corps anymore) to please as many casual observers as DCI thinks it can sell CDs and DVDs to?

Tommytimp, you're a real "glass is half empty" kind of guy. What is the "product" you are referring to? If you are talking about the broadcast, then what's wrong with DCI changing the broadcast to reach out to casual observers? Give a reason.

If the "product" you are referring to is the corps themselves, do you think that the casual observer is dying to see woodwinds in a drum corps? If you're afraid that DCI is becoming like BOA, so be it, but broadcasting on espn2 is not going to result in this.

If nothing else, I think the relationship with espn2 has the potential for corps to change their programming ideas - focusing on playing stuff that the casual observer might want to hear. Again, this is a stretch, but who knows what will come of the espn2 broadcast.

Imagine this:

- drum corps is broadcast on espn2

- show attendance in 2006 is up 10%

- a corps, say Cadets, polls the audience at several location

- this poll finds that, of the new fans that watch corps for the first time on PBS, they didn't like the Cadets show and probably would not support that corps with their dollars

- the Cadets, running the corps like a business like they should, say "let's be the most entertaining corps on the broadcast and make more souvenir dollars than anybody else"

- all other corps say the same thing

- result: the new audience is entertained, much of the old audience will be more entertained, every year on the espn2 broadcast increases viewership, espn2 starts realizing that the drum corps niche is getting larger and start airing broadcasts from a couple shows during the season, rinse and repeat

I don't think this scenario, while stille a pipe dream, is that far beyond the realm of comprehension.

Until last year, I thought 1983 was as bad as the telecast could get. Then last year, with the stupid 45-second film "introductions" and "backstage" footage, along with the cutesy-pie features, happened. I can't wait until they give the go-ahead to start talking in the booth again.

Again, you're a fan. Supposedly...

I think the only way to get someone who normally watches espn2 to keep watching it while "some marching band show" is on is to have a certain number of ("cutesy-pie") bits about: life on the road, hyping up before the event, how judging works, a football player who marches drum corps during the summer, the rigor of daily practices, the team aspect, different stadiums the corps have performed in (for college stadium buffs like me).

Will this get the espn2 fan to say, "hey honey, let's go to a drum corps show next year"? Who knows? But I think the broadcast should do its best to do this. There should be at some point in the broadcast, a map of the US with dots representing shows from 2005. While some shows die out from one year to the next, the point should be "check dci.org starting in the month of X to find out if there will be a show near you next summer."

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

what activity doesn't need more fans? seriously should we be saying, "sorry we're at max capacity! no more fans!" i know that's sarcastic but really what kind of response do you expect from a statement like that

Until last year, I thought 1983 was as bad as the telecast could get.

I think that would be the 1992 and 1993 telecasts with Curt Gowdy. He mispronounced Steve Rondinaro's name and the 1993 telecast was live from Jackson (MS)? I heard Jackson was such a crappy venue for the corps AND the fans. In both instances, it was as if Curt Gowdy wasn't even there and Steve was providing all the commentary.

As far as growth is concerned...either we are growing or we are dying. We need to refresh our fan base with both hard core (corps?) fans and casual fans. I was hard core in '73. I dropped the activity after that when we moved to Southern CA. It was the '95 finals broadcast on PBS that brought me back. I started out casual, and then our son joined the Magic of Orlando in '98 - '99, followed by the Cavaliers in '00-'02. I have been hard core ever since. Look for growth...DCI is trying, and in my opinion succeeding.

I think that would be the 1992 and 1993 telecasts with Curt Gowdy.  He mispronounced Steve Rondinaro's name and the 1993 telecast was live from Jackson (MS)?  I heard Jackson was such a crappy venue for the corps AND the fans.  In both instances, it was as if Curt Gowdy wasn't even there and Steve was providing all the commentary.

While I will say that Curt Gowdy was past his prime even in the early 90s, I wish DCI would go back to using a known sports broadcasting figure in the booth. If nothing else, to give some "air of respectability" to espn2 watchers. I would like to see one of the Sportscenter anchors or something be the cohost. I think the banter between a sports guy and Rondinaro would be valuable to the new fan base.

Just as long as they don't get a drum corps confused with a newspaper (a la Curt Gowdy referring to Star of Indiana as Kansas City Star...). :)

Stuart Scott......

"The Cavies are as cool as the other side of the pillow".

"Next up....The Blue Devils....who I'm naturally opposed to since I'm a Tarheel"

BOOOYAHH!!!!

Ummm...on second thought, let's stick with Steve Rondinaro :)

can you imagine hardcore spotrs fans turnin on ESPN 2 to watch sports center, and they see "marching band"

((yes I know it's drum corps, but what would THEY think))

pretty. dang. funny.

~>conner

Do we run the risk of watering down an ever-more shrinking product  (or, in another direction, making it so like BOA that it doesn't even register as drum & bugle corps anymore) to please as many casual observers as DCI thinks it can sell CDs and DVDs to?

Until last year, I thought 1983 was as bad as the telecast could get. Then last year, with the stupid 45-second film "introductions" and "backstage" footage, along with the cutesy-pie features, happened. I can't wait until they give the go-ahead to start talking in the booth again.

Yes, we as a race are doomed.

This comment seems completely ridiculous. Drum corps, like any activity, can always use more fans and support. Getting ESPN to broadcast DCI in no way means the Blue Devils will start playing football in the middle of their show, or that winners will be measured by who marches across the field the fastest. I THINK (and I can be completely off track) having the support of a media giant like ESPN instead of PBS DOES mean they won't have to be as concerned with funding issues (like PBS seems to run into year after year), or long periods between performances with locals begging for donations to keep it afloat. Having the support of ESPN will broaden the fan base. Having the support of ESPN should result in all positives for the activity.

Remember that Drum Corps International is a company. If it doesn't make money, it's gone (weren't we worried about that before Disney helped out). What is wrong with them trying to market its product to create more fans, and potentially, more revenue. Hopefully some of the funds will be put back into the activity, making it stronger and stronger.

Edited by ddoy42

can you imagine hardcore spotrs fans turnin on ESPN 2 to watch sports center, and they see "marching band"

((yes I know it's drum corps, but what would THEY think))

pretty. dang. funny.

~>conner

"What the &^#% is this!!" ...followed by beer can thrown at television screen.

BUT for those of you who have marched drum corps know that it is just as tough, or tougher, a physical activity as any sport out there. Why shouldn't it be considered a sport - golf is (although I consider it more a hobby). And ESPN2 broadcasts POOL for god's sake!!!!!! :worthy:

While I will say that Curt Gowdy was past his prime even in the early 90s, I wish DCI would go back to using a known sports broadcasting figure in the booth.  If nothing else, to give some "air of respectability" to espn2 watchers.  I would like to see one of the Sportscenter anchors or something be the cohost.  I think the banter between a sports guy and Rondinaro would be valuable to the new fan base.

Just as long as they don't get a drum corps confused with a newspaper (a la Curt Gowdy referring to Star of Indiana as Kansas City Star...).  :)

Actually, Gowdy was NOT the original choice...it was Dick Enberg...who played trombone in his high school marching band...but he has schedule conflicts and Gowdy was available.

Kinda wish they could get Enberg now...