The Anti-Narration BD Thread

I love the same old tired, "if you don't accept change leave argument"..it's so compelling. :worthy:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just listened to the APD a few times, and fwiw, I suspect the narration - by dint of not being as dismissible as Boston's disastrous crap last year - might be hurting them in ways they hadn't forseen. To wit, a basic principle of human nature is that if someone is speaking we pay attention to the voice, and NOT to what's happening behind it. Think about it - you're at a movie and Morgan Freeman's voice is telling you something while music is playing in the background - which are you most likely to focus on? The voice - because we're programmed to believe that processing data in the form of words is a primary concern.

So what happens GE wise while they're narrating? The audience (and by extension, the GE judges) are focusing on CONTENT of information, and not on what's happening in the 'background' - even if that background information is where the most important elements should be taking place.

I didn't put a stopwatch on it, but I'd suspect that at least 60 to 75 seconds of their show is taken up with the "yowza yowza' business. How much more effectively could those seconds have been used? Guess we won't know, cuz the show they gots, is the show they gots.... B)

(you want a positive spin on it? OK - the good thing about their narration is that it pulls attention away from their attention disorder'd cut and paste arranging - with the dance marathon narration going on, you're not as aware of how abruptly and arbitrarily the snippets have shifted from one piece to another..)

Edited by mobrien

I love the same old tired, "if you don't accept change leave argument"..it's so compelling. :worthy:

No other leg to stand on...

Where have I heard that before?

This is what I find so ridiculous and seems that the point is being missed, not brought up, or just ignored. Drum and bugle corps is a youth activity where the talents of said youth are displayed through brass, percussion and colorguard. The only output was made by the members through the use of brass and percussion. Colorguard acompanied the thought of the shows, the instruments sold it from sound to emotion.

Now you have musical groups putting the music in the back seat for individuals talking, with rather boring, unsophisticated, unimiginative phrasing while the music now is not the main purpose.

The talent of these performers is taking a back seat and the design of the show, in someones head is now taking precedence over the members ability to perform and sell a show with the traditional, time tested use of brass and percussion.

Maybe the Blue Devils came in 6th in brass because nobody could hear them ?? I cant believe that Im not looking forward to this show for the first time since 1980.

The corps with the most brass and percussion trophies is now letting the human voice do the talking and selling of their musical show on the football field.

Absolutely nobody can honestly answer this question now and make it pertain to the blue devils:

How does singing, narration, poetry reading and/or amplified voice make this show better(as comapred to just letting the kids play, and sell it through the music and the emotion it is supposed to provide) enhancing not only the members experience but the audiences experience as well ??

Sad.

~G~

Guest DrumCorpFan
I personally like the changes that are happening in show design over the past years.  Could you image if DCI truly stayed "traditional".  I personally would hate to watch drumlines mowing the 50, symetrical drill, no existing pit percussion, marching tympani lines, and color guards that had to put there flags some harness type thing.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, someone tries to convince the world that anyone against one change MUST be against each and every change.

WRONG!

DCI was once looked at by marching bands as the innovators of this activity.  If we keep bashing corps for pushing the envelope then corps will be looking to high school marching bands for what is innovative.

Too late, drum corps took amps and narration from marching band, choosing to follow, rather than lead.

I am in favor of amplification and if a corps wants to do narration then go ahead and do it.  DCI will not lose fans over this.  The truth is this, most high school programs that feed these corps with their members come from high school programs that use amplification and sometimes narration.

Some have already left. More are right on the edge.

When I was in corps in the late 80's early 90's I was a tympani player.  Do you think I would have rather been "traditional" and been in a marching tympani line?  The answer would be HECK NO!!!!!!

Again, being against one change does not mean we are against all changes. I was all for grounding pits, assymetrical drills, 3-valves, etc.

These younger people do not see amplification as a problem and neither will corps members 5 or 10 years from now.  These current members will be the future fans.  The true "traditionalists" that are against amplification will eventually become out numbered by those who see amplification as the norm and the anti-amplification people will turn into the DCI dinosuars.

It will take more than five to 10 years to replace the spending power of the fans who have been with DCI for decades.

These kids that are performing now with amplification are working their butts off so people like us can be entertained.  What sucks the most about that is that they are doing what is normal for them because they have been do this in their high school programs.  Stop bashing on what is now the norm for these kids.

We are not bashing the kids. We are bashing the directors and designers that try to normalize this thing by flushing out the legacy fans (that kept DCI alive less than 10 years ago) and hoping the younglings will take over.

Get over it

No

and except change.

I have accepted all changes until now. I would like to except this change.

If I see another anti-amplification petition at DCI finals in Boston I will start a pro-amplification petition.

Go for it, I would be very interested in the numbers you would get. However, you won't see any anti-amp petition in Boston since DCI has now banned petitioning.

Here is an idea.  Lets get the lists of all of the people who sign the anti-amplification petition and give them a special DCI 2005 Championships "traditionalist" audio package.  Since they are so against change when they order the DVD's and CD's they will get the exclusive "traditionalist" package of LP (which can only fit 4 corps on it) and a BETA video.

And for the 3rd time this post, we are not against all change, just this one. Get over it.

Guest DrumCorpFan
The Cadets narration...happens during the warm up. It lasts about 20 seconds.

I tell ya, I can handle narration a whole lot better during the warm up. Let 'em talk it up all they want during that time, I don't care, really.

Guest DrumCorpFan
The only announcer this dance derby needs is the one who says "you may enter the field for competition", then I don't want to hear another voice for 11 1/2 minutes.

:worthy::huh::blink: