The Anti-Narration BD Thread

In your rush to push your own agenda, I'm afraid you've become guilty of dismissing an entire demographic as worthless, simply because it supports your position to do so.

Please don't put words into my mouth or attempt to tell me what I'm doing. I'm quite capable of expressing myself. Though I may have made remarks that don't correspond to your views, I am not pushing any agenda nor am I dismissing any demograptic as worthless. I am simply stating that I, as a longtime fan, am not fond of some of what I see i n today's drum corps and that at some point I will have to decide if it is worth my time and money to continue to support an activity which I find increasingly less appealing.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am simply stating that I, as a longtime fan, am not fond of some of what I see i n today's drum corps and that at some point I will have to decide if it is worth my time and money to continue to support an activity which I find increasingly less appealing.

Well said, I can say that after 25 years I've already made that decision. Amps? Maybe I could have lived with that, but amped vocals and narration? No thanks, I'm officially done. This will be the first year since 1979 that I will not attend a DCI show and just to keep in line with the original topic, I downloaded the BD APD just to hear the show for myself and I was so turned off that I deleted it. I mean no disrespect to anyone by saying any of this nor am I naive enough to think anyone really cares what I think or if I show up at any events, it just kind of feels like something that was such a big part of my life for a long time no longer exists. There are some that have wanted to turn Drum Corps into Band for some time now and it looks like they finally got their wish. I still wonder why in the world we couldn't have both but maybe that's just me. Good luck to all those involved with the current activity and I really mean that. I've said it before and I'll say it again, thank God for CD's, pre-2005 that is!!!

Now that we've all heard the BD show, I thought I'd help out all those anti-narration people out, by starting this thread.  Here, you can all post your rants about their narration...

I just assume that you would all be 20 times as infuriated by BD, because there's so much more narration.

Or is their 11-minute narration ok, because they aren't the Cadets?

The answer to your question(s) is NOPE! narration ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck ampssuck blows no matter who's doing it. I dislike BD for doing narration. I dislike Cadets just because. b**bs

Edited by AnaheimAlumni

Guest DrumCorpFan
Often in these threads, those of us who oppose amplification and narration are told, in no uncertain terms, to "get over it," go away, stop attending shows, etc. -- in short, we either buy into everything that is put before us or not.  We are expendable. 

To date, I have continued to support corps and DCI, despite the fact that many of the recent changes have, in my opinion, seriously compromised the very nature of what I hold to be drum and bugle corps.  However, I have almost reached my limit.  My tolerance is coming to an end.  I am on the verge of abandoning the activity which I have been a part of for over 20 years.  If I walk away, I will supposedly be replaced by one of the many new, young fans that clamor to DCI events and are so eager to take up the slack created by the demise of older legacy fans.  I hope that is the case but, I will watch with great interest to see my Platinum Membership in the Friends of DCI matched by a 14 year old from Texas; I'll look to see how many band kids are able to afford the Super Premium 3-day pass I purchase for finals; I'll be curious to find out how many youngsters have the funds and abilities to travel to Louisville, San Antonio, Indianapolis, Murfreesboro, Kalamazoo, and numerous other locations in one summer in support of corps; and I'll wonder what parent will shell out hundreds of dollars every summer so his/her child can purchase a t-shirt, hat, CD, or souvenier wind chime from practically every corps in the activity.

Yes, it is important to cultivate new fans and to excite them.  However, is it necessary to alienate so many in the process?  Is it wise to bite the hand that feeds you?

According to some, there are thousands of those 14-year-olds clamoring to take your spot, become a Platinum Member (with mom and dad's money) and go to all those shows across the country buying souvies and media. :worthy:

I tend to doubt that myself. :sshh:

Guest DrumCorpFan
I'm still not sold on the idea that DCI is alienating such a large base as you seem to indicate.  I saw 14,000 fans at San Antonio, the highest turnout ever for that event.  I do see a lot of commentary from people who dislike amplification, but to me it seems to be centered around a handfull of key individuals as opposed to some large contingent.

Fact...All people like unamped drum corps, some people like amped drum corps.

Question...What makes more sense, do what all your fans like or what some of your fans like?

Answer... :worthy:

Guest DrumCorpFan
having seen a good number of corps this summer, I'm actually quite surprised to see just HOW MANY corps are not using amps this year...which is so amazing since amps were supposed to be the SAVIOR of drum corps! :P  At last check, Phantom, SCV, Cascades, etc etc are not amping their pit.  The sad part is, Cascades amp ONLY the voice in the beginning of their show (at least, that's all I could see), yet they don't bother to amp the rest of their pit.  I was under the impression that amps were there to allow for fewer pit members and the utilization of proper technique...wow...guess I was wrong...  :worthy:

Phantom and SCV are amping their pits. I don't know about Seattle.

Guest DrumCorpFan
OK...he has his own vision, absolutely true. My point is that anti-Hoppy folks here make it appear that he all by his lonesome wanted/pushed amps, and that is just not true. The creative staffs wanted them for as along as he was proposing them. Finally, enough voting admin members agreed. Times change, and so does the voting population. I have no problem with anyone bringing up a proposal multiple times, whatever it might be, because every year the voting situation might be different as membership turns over.

Mike

OK, so I will ask you the same question...

Given that some people like corps with amps and all people like corps without amps, which makes more sense, to design what some like or what all like?

Guest DrumCorpFan
IMO parents make sure their kids get what they want/need far more than they do for themselves. I know my daugter has a lot more in the souvie area than I do, and even when she doesn't attend the show I am going to I make sure I purchase stuf for her first.

IMO, you and your daughter are in an unusual position. You are a legacy fan who is still passionate about what is out there now. You will give your daughter money to support that. BUT, how many are in your situation? Not that many. The other parents are not going to give their kids nearly as much as you give yours.

Guest DrumCorpFan
Heh, you know what amazes me?  The legacy fans and the traditionalists on here always ##### about being marginalized by DCI, yet the past couple pages are filled with those same people marginalizing the younger fans!  You guys are admitting that you see the stands filled with bands kids and college kids, yet rather admit that DCI's marketing is working, you scoff and dismiss them by saying that clearly they didn't pay for those seats.  My how ignorant you are. 

Visit the BOA forums sometimes.  It's a slow place until the BOA season kicks off, but even now you'll find plenty of DCI discussion.  What's more, you'll see threads where kids are letting everyone know that they've bought tickets and are going to a show.  They'll even tell you how far they're driving to see that show.  Indy is this weekend, and I've heard of a girl from South Carolina and another girl from Minnesota who are driving into town.  For San Antonio last weekend, a number of kids road-tripped from all over Texas.  In your rush to push your own agenda, I'm afraid you've become guilty of dismissing an entire demographic as worthless, simply because it supports your position to do so.

We are not marginalizing the younger fans. We want them there...more and more of them. However, the simple fact remains that not all the people like amped corps, but all those kids do like unamped corps. Did you really think that they just started showing up last year because amps were added?

Guest DrumCorpFan
I myself am one of those "kids" (though I am soon going on to 20) who will be making the trek out to Finals, traveling from Michigan!  I am so excited for this will be my first time seeing finals live!

:)  :)  :)

Would you not make this trips if amps were still illegal in drum corps, or would you still be going?