The Anti-Narration BD Thread

Please don't put words into my mouth or attempt to tell me what I'm doing.  I'm quite capable of expressing myself.  Though I may have made remarks that don't correspond to your views, I am not pushing any agenda nor am I dismissing any demograptic as worthless.  I am simply stating that I, as a longtime fan, am not fond of some of what I see i n today's drum corps and that at some point I will have to decide if it is worth my time and money to continue to support an activity which I find increasingly less appealing.

agreed. these are the fans who kept DCI alive 10 years ago when 12k for finals was looked on as great news. if more stop leaving, these kids wont be at an income level to support as feverishly as we did for many years

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never condemned having the band kids there, I don't recall anyone condemning it.  I encourage it, bring them on.  What is being said is that these kids are not spending as much (this is being debated).  Shows can be designed such that those kids will still come and many more legacy fans won't consider leaving.

IMO there are not as many legacy fans leaving as you seem to think...when looked at against the total number of fans....just MHO. There are lots of young and ....er...not so young... at the shows I attend.

Mike

Now, ask yourself, which version of drum corps did you like the best?  Did you like the rip your face off intensity of the 70's, when if you played it you had to march it?  Did you like the artistry and true-to-the-original arranging of the 80's?  Did you like drum corps when it was still in G, before 2000?  Did you like drum corps when it was still acoustic, before 2004?  We all have the version that we are most fond of.  But when I look at those bands kids, and especially when I look at the members on the field, I see people who are a part of the activity because they feel the best is yet to come and they want to be a part of it.  The anti-ampers had their version of drum corps, which would not have existed but for the changing of the version before.  I think the next crop of fans deserves their own version of drum corps as well.  And who knows;  if you open yourself up a little bit, you might find that you enjoy it.  Certainly more people find themselves accepting amps, and even narration, with every passing day.

Wonderful post...hit the nail exactly on the head...IMO...

Mike

so why is it evil when we bring up how much we hate amps, yet it's ok when he proposes #### to make DCI Boa Summer division?

Who said it's evil? Not me. IMO you are 100% wrong, but you have every right to be wrong.

I never lie, and I'm always right ($1 to Firesign Theatre)

Mike

i apologize Mike i didnt mean you personally. I meant those that attack anti amps people for saying we hate it.

for the last f-ing time..    nobody is going to listen to you..  cadets or bd...    about you or anyone else wanting their narration to go...   

i think both work well after seeing the shows..     

it helps the cadets,  and its a major part of show design for the blue devils.. 

dance derbys without announcers..  HA!!

Quit trying to shut us up. We have a right to express our opinions. What do you think this board is for, anyway?

I am in favor of amplification and if a corps wants to do narration then go ahead and do it.  DCI will not lose fans over this.

SNIP...

Stop bashing on what is now the norm for these kids.

Get over it and except change.  If I see another anti-amplification petition at DCI finals in Boston I will start a pro-amplification petition.

Here is an idea.  Lets get the lists of all of the people who sign the anti-amplification petition and give them a special DCI 2005 Championships "traditionalist" audio package.  Since they are so against change when they order the DVD's and CD's they will get the exclusive "traditionalist" package of LP (which can only fit 4 corps on it) and a BETA video.

You are wrong...very wrong. DCI has already lost fans over this, and if we ever reach a day where the majority of the top 12 are using amped vocals, they will lose me as a fan, and I will be replaced by someone younger.

These kids only see this as the "norm" because they haven't been around for years, like many of us fans have. They like it, and we do not. And no, I will NOT "get over it". By the way, BETA video is of a much better quality than VHS video. (and, the tapes were smaller in size...) Why VHS took off as opposed to BETA is beyond me, even to this day...(but now we have dvds..)

Well, you like what you like. No quarrel there. For me, I choose to listen first and then decide whether I like something or not. That's how I do it, that's all.

Your opinion...mine is different. No prob.

Mike

You are assuming that all of us that do not like amped voice in drumcorps don't even listen to it before we make the judgement...WRONG! I have listened to BD's show, and in my opinion, the narration in it is TERRIBLE. I hate it.

Heh, you know what amazes me?  The legacy fans and the traditionalists on here always ##### about being marginalized by DCI, yet the past couple pages are filled with those same people marginalizing the younger fans!  You guys are admitting that you see the stands filled with bands kids and college kids, yet rather admit that DCI's marketing is working, you scoff and dismiss them by saying that clearly they didn't pay for those seats.  My how ignorant you are. 

SNIP...

In your rush to push your own agenda, I'm afraid you've become guilty of dismissing an entire demographic as worthless, simply because it supports your position to do so.

Oh please, get over yourself, and get off your high-horse... :worthy:

What i'm about to say might offend some people,

In terms of my time in the activity, i've been in it since 2000, Marched 2003. I know that its seams to me like a bunch of old school dudes are the ones not happening with the amps thing. I look foward to having them and exploring the uses with them, as i get older, march my last two years, and then move on to teach. Before this, for the pit to be herd in row zz of the citris bowl, you had to beat the crap out of it. Now you can use much more world percussion, and the voice, singing is somthing that is really cool,a nd can make a program soar. Now as for stupid naration, sometimes its needed, just to get that little edge, that little extra info that makes the audience, and the judes get it.

And yes, as we take the amps into the next few years we need to find out whats cool, whats not cool and how to get the right use out of them. The only way to do that is to suck at it for a year or two. To much singing, to much narration, or even to little narration, making the narrration thats there seam stupid and not needed.

I've kinda grown up in the activity with the changes, and yes, sax's will be the end of Drum and Bugle Corps. I now that on many ocasions i've had to defend what i've learned in drum corps, and to be told i'm wrong by my college prof. He hates drum corps, with a passion.

I love drum corps, or at least my brand of drum corps. I ware my corps jacket with pride, i got the 15 year t-shirt, and i ware the shirts i wore on tour under my marching band uni. I'm not only proud of my drum corps, but of what it is and what it is to become in the future. I personaly enjoy the Cadets show, as i do Star '93 (and most people who are screaming and yelling now said that was the end of drum corps) Every decade or so there is a show that comes along that the last generation says is the death of Drum Corps as we know it. Oh well. I personaly enjoy where it is going where it has been. And i hope to have a place in its future.

So, to sum up, once this whole thing is figured out, i bet everyone will come to love it just liike adding that first valve, or grounding the pit, or multi-key horn lines. Everyone will love it once we figure out how to do it right.

Phantom and SCV are amping their pits.  I don't know about Seattle.

I couldn't see any mics on the equipment for Seattle, but I've only seen them once. I'm pretty darn sure that Phantom and SCV aren't. I've seen Phantom several times...I'll check again tonight in Murfreesboro. And I'll check others tomorrow in Indy.