Judges Anti-Phantom?

Compare that to PR96, where my jaw dropped on the first viewing.  (I believe my comment was, "When did they get a drum line?" :) )

When Lee Beddis took over... :worthy:

I was just talking to Lee's dad today about his ability to turn things around, and not just the drum line, seems like the entire corps is affected positively by his presence.

Look at the last few corps he has taught at:

Phantom - championship

Glassmen - from 13th to 8th to 5th in 2 years

Crossmen - slipping out of finals this year

Madison - back as strong as ever

Can't wait to see him in front of Scout's line wearing the Team Canada jersey.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Phantom is taking "only an average position of 5th" is utterly ridiculous and smacks of the elitism I get so angry about!

There are 200 corps that will place BELOW Phantom this year. And, by your statement, only 4 that will place above.

They hardly rank as average.

My respects to the corps who will never see top twelve and and to deal with this kind of attitude of feeling "below average".

I saw Jamey Thompson's drill when he wrote for Glassmen, and it seemed to be pretty good...yet some are saying that his stuff for Regiment is not good.  Could it be that there is a limit imposed on the drill writers for Regiment?

I'm certainly not an expert, but I went back and watched some Glassmen from 99 to 02, and I know for sure he was there during that time (and probably a little earlier). I would characterize his drill as "functional," but nothing to write home about.

I honestly thought his drill last year with Madison was a bag, but I thought Madison 03 was very effective.

I like the Season Pass San Antonio clip of PR where there are four-count transitions between follow-the-leader formations. I thought that was pretty clever for a corps whose drill I found largely unclever from 1998 to 2004.

Also, was Sanchez not invited back to PR after 2004 or did he leave on his own?

Saying Phantom is taking "only an average position of 5th" is utterly ridiculous and smacks of the elitism I get so angry about!

There are 200 corps that will place BELOW Phantom this year. And, by your statement, only 4 that will place above.  

They hardly  rank as average. 

My respects to the corps who will never see top twelve and and to deal with this kind of attitude of feeling "below average".

Calm down!

I believe the topic starter did not mean average as in mediocre, but instead mathematical average - the mean - the sum of a group of terms divided by the number of terms in the group.

Phantom Regiment's last ten world championship appearances (1995 - 2004)

5th, 1st, 4th, 8th, 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 5th.

Average placement= 5.3

Edited by Slow Adam

I'm certainly not an expert, but I went back and watched some Glassmen from 99 to 02, and I know for sure he was there during that time (and probably a little earlier).  I would characterize his drill as "functional," but nothing to write home about. 

I honestly thought his drill last year with Madison was a bag, but I thought Madison 03 was very effective.

I like the Season Pass San Antonio clip of PR where there are four-count transitions between follow-the-leader formations.  I thought that was pretty clever for a corps whose drill I found largely unclever from 1998 to 2004.

Also, was Sanchez not invited back to PR after 2004 or did he leave on his own?

I guess I am weird that way then...frankly, the only two drill designers whose designs I consistently enjoy today are Mike Gaines and Myron Rosander. I have never really cared for Cadets and Blue Devils' drill (nor really for a lot of drill from Phantom past the original Tony Hall years).

But the first few times I saw Glassmen's 98 and 99 shows, I thought the drill was done very well. Heh...to each his own, right?

I guess I am weird that way then...frankly, the only two drill designers whose designs I consistently enjoy today are Mike Gaines and Myron Rosander.  I have never really cared for Cadets and Blue Devils' drill (nor really for a lot of drill from Phantom past the original Tony Hall years).

Kind of hard to enjoy a Phantom drill after the stamp of someone like John Brazale...

Gotta wonder what kind of drill he'd have written post-1992

As far as Regiment's ongoing visual problems...they've had 10 designers in the last 13 years...could it be that the drill designers are told not to write the drill too difficult for the sake of preserving the integrity of the brass performance?

I believe we have a winner. Why do you think they've gone through so many designers? Like Nik "didn't" say, I believe it's because they can't write the drill they want to write. If this sounds like a bag on the organization well, I guess it is!

We keep hearing how much better visual is going to be. Unfortunately, better on the PR scale isn't even in the same ballpark as Cavies or Cadets It's as if they are marching a Cadet program from the 80's but not even quite that good. Perhaps, the musical style they have choosen to embrace (actual melodies), rules out visual programs on par with the top corps. If so, they will continue to place where they are until the activity swings back to music over visual.

Rocketman - bagging on his own

ampssuck

I believe we have a winner. Why do you think they've gone through so many designers? Like Nik "didn't" say, I believe it's because they can't write the drill they want to write. If this sounds like a bag on the organization well, I guess it is!

We keep hearing how much better visual is going to be. Unfortunately, better on the PR scale isn't even in the same ballpark as Cavies or Cadets It's as if they are marching a Cadet program from the 80's but not even quite that good. Perhaps, the musical style they have choosen to embrace (actual melodies), rules out visual programs on par with the top corps. If so, they will continue to place where they are until the activity swings back to music over visual.

Rocketman - bagging on his own

ampssuck

Kind of the original point..........maybe music should be more important than the visual side of things.

How many people were saying "This is the year" in 96? 

The Regiment is great this year...that's what's important.  :beer:

True, remember, they were 4th at Quarterfinals and won in 96... the biggest jump ever to win a title... is that correct? I think so but someone else can correct that. However, anyone can agree, to go from 4th to win in three performaces is pretty dang good and shows "on any given... Saturday" anything can happen!

True, remember, they were 4th at Quarterfinals and won in 96... the biggest jump ever to win a title... is that correct? I think so but someone else can correct that. However, anyone can agree, to go from 4th to win in three performaces is pretty dang good and shows "on any given... Saturday" anything can happen!

And in the years prior to and since, how many time has it happened? 0!

So in reality what you have is, on any given Saturday, once every 25 years.

Trust me. I was there, in the end zone with the rest of the PR alum. I would bet to a man, or woman, no one would have given a thought to tying for 2nd that evening. (I consider it a tie for second since there was no winner)

I also believe 4th at quarters was a joke! They should have been in the top 3 all along thus making Saturdays result not quite the surprise it turned out to be.

HOWEVER, I still maintain, had BD duplicated their performance from quarterfinals Saturday evening, they would have won by points over whomever came in second. It was that overpowering a performance. It was BD's to loose, and they did.

Guess that kind of diminishes the PR accomplishment. But, that's how I saw it.

Rocketman - 2nd sucks

ampssuck too

Edited by Rocketman