Cavies Screamer

Yeah, cause jazz doesn't require good sound or technique anyway. Right? I mean, it's JUST JAZZ! It's okay to make mistakes and sound bad.  :worthy:

Hey haven't you heard? Jazz soloing is nothing but a bunch of wrong notes played in a different meter anyway.....right :P

<disclaimer> before whitewatercavie rips my head off...

That was sarcasm in reference to his sarcasm :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screaming in Cavies show????? Have you listened to BD at all????

Haha, thank you! YES!!!!

Its not that I hate the constant soloists and soprano screamers or that I'm anti-BD, I just feel like too often people use it as a cheap way to get crowd reaction/applause. How can multiple feature solos like that actually fit into a show idea/theme/story? I'm entertained by their talent and good sounds, but they never really add anything to the show if its done more than once.

(from my post in this thread)

Yeah, okay - I wasn't there, haven't heard it - but in general, if it doesn't sound good, why would anyone be trying to play higher than they can play well?  That's just not good performance technique, IMO.

Sometimes, it's about being a ######. That's a rare quality these days - maybe that's what all the old timers liked? Less musical, but no shortage of badasses. So maybe a little of that seeping in isn't so bad...?

####, I'm a drummer. If I can relate to a dude like that, well, there ya go.

Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with it.  He was commenting sarcastically that jazz doesn't require "good sound or technique".  That has nothing to do with where anyone marched.

I haven't heard the apd, so I don't know what it sounded like, but I trust that if there are performance technique issues, they will be worked out before I see them at quarters.  If not, well then we can all complain some more.

Ya know... the thing about sarcasim is... you can't use it all the time. This guy blasts everything and everybody ALL THE TIME.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, God knows I have mine... but having marched... I know what it takes to BUST ### for two and a half months just to be torn down by somebody kicked back in their lazyboy eating cheetos all summer, being Napolean on his laptop.

I'll ask again... Where did you march, Einstein?

Ya know... the thing about sarcasm is... you can't use it all the time.  This guy blasts everything and everybody ALL THE TIME.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, God knows I have mine... but having marched... I know what it takes to BUST ### for two and a half months just to be torn down by somebody kicked back in their lazyboy eating cheetos all summer, being Napoleon on his laptop.

Ahh, WWC--just let the poor borg have his moment of glory, while we revel in the fact that THE BOYS ARE UNDEFEATED YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! b**bs

Ya know... the thing about sarcasim is... you can't use it all the time.  This guy blasts everything and everybody ALL THE TIME.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, God knows I have mine... but having marched... I know what it takes to BUST ### for two and a half months just to be torn down by somebody kicked back in their lazyboy eating cheetos all summer, being Napolean on his laptop.

Hey, if you don't like someone's opinions or their method of delivering them, that's fine. It still has nothing to do with where or if someone marched. Is it really worth it to get all bent out of shape about an opinion you don't really care for or respect anyway? In this particular case, he was commenting on someone who said, "Well, it is jazz...". I think Einstein's comment was valid, because that other person seemed to be saying that it was okay to hit bad notes because it's only jazz. Of course, that was MY take on reading the posts. Someone else might get a different take, and that's fine too.

Back on topic, StarVoyager said he usually hits it, and that night was on off night. If that's the case, then I'm satisfied and certainly look forward to seeing the show at quarters.

Well, it is jazz... and they have atleast 8 performance to make it finals worthy.  I guess I'm one of the few that gets jostled any time a drum corps plays "that really, really high note."  Maybe it's because I play brass, dunno.

Well its not exactly Jazz. Jazz isn't really Jazz until there is some type of improvization. Yea, they're paying tribute the the Chicago jazz style but not really playing Jazz. Now if they could improv every night that would be cool....

Well its not exactly Jazz.  Jazz isn't really Jazz until there is some type of improvization. 

What textbook did you get that out of?

There is plenty of Jazz (real Jazz) that's performed the same each time it's performed. It doesn't require improvisation to be "real" any more than you should need to have marched to be someone who's "real" drum corps.

Granted, having marched does give you the right and privilege to ask others who appear to be talking out their bunghole if and where they marched.. but NOT having marched shouldn't automatically preclude you from the ranks of "real drum corps."

Man. I think I need some sleep.

Stef

Playing like that is a lot harder than one might think...give it a shot someday.