Mandarin scores July 19-25

On July 19 they post a 77.9, fighting with Spirit for the 12th spot.

A week later, they score a 75.1 and seven corps pass them by and are barely haning onto the 18th spot.

Inconistent judging, fluctuating scores, or new drill/music of Mandarins?

Does anybody know?

Elmo Blatch

Inconistent judging

Elmo Blatch

w/Stp:

I think it is more so, that they are now competing with more Division I corps. When they scored their 77 score, it was just them and Pacific Crest at a show with mainly Division II/III corps. I'm not doubting Mandarins, but I think they are in the right tier. The same can be said for Esperanza, they were scoring with The Magic or close to, and then dipped when they seen more Division I corps. I really don't think it's inconsistant judging, I think the judges are doing things just fine. Mandarins definitely have a semi-finalist show--lets just hope they don't peak out too soon, because I can also see that happening.

I recall this same thing happening last year....Pacific Crest was scoring high enough to contend with Glassmen, Blue Knights, and Spirit for a spot in Finals while they were still out west, then when they came east and competed with the rest of Div. I, they fell a few points back and performed last at semis.

I think this is what is happening to Mandarins this year....many thought they had a shot at Finals while they were out west, now it doesn't look as such. I think Pacific Crest this year will have the same fate....right now their scores put them in semis, but when they come east, I think they are going to fall right around 17th, and fight it out with Capital Regiment and Southwind for a spot in semis.

back to that old theory that you can't compare different corps in different places with different judges on different nights.

It's fun to do.... but it's really not as much accurate as it is just fun for us to see laid out.

I'm sure it'll all fall into place once everyone's together.

Yep - this happens every year. The Devs and SCV head east on tour while the Mandarins and Pacific Crest remain behind competing in California. That makes them the class of the compeition. There is no pressure on the judges to "leave room at the top" and it tends to inflate the scores a bit. Their scores normalize when they get out on tour in bigger shows.

It's the "back east" conspiracy thing. :) Or maybe they are just 18th place material?

The hornline is bigger this year and louder but the drumline is weaker than past years.

The 2005 show is average. If you could combine the 2003 show with the the 2004 drumline and this years hornline, Mandarins would blast their way into the top twelve.

This is the sole opinion of the poster and in no way represents the opinion of anyone else in any way shape or form.

look at the percussion scores and that tells the story as to why they dropped. when they joined everyone else they went from-

7/17 Sacramento- 15.8

7/23 San Antonio- 13.4

7/25 Baton Rouge-13.1

7/26 Troy- 13.8

i'll also make a note that it's been said that the whole percussion staff is not with the group yet.

On July 19 they post a 77.9, fighting with Spirit for the 12th spot.

A week later, they score a 75.1 and seven corps pass them by and are barely haning onto the 18th spot.

Inconistent judging, fluctuating scores, or new drill/music of Mandarins?

Does anybody know?

Elmo Blatch

Just look at the drum scores the last couple days. When they drop from high 15's to mid-13's, your score's bound to drop a lot.

I had actually mentioned this in a past thread, very few instructors are touring with them right now, and none (or maybe one) of the caption heads. I think this is contributing to less productive practices, a loss of focus, and the inability to clean and "water" before the final push to Boston. The rest of the staff is supposedly joining the corps in Indy, so I am really hoping they get back on track. I know some of you think 75 is where they belong, but I really think they're just in a funk right now and will likely get out of it - I just hope sooner than later.