Indy musings

Midwest crowds always "boo" when midwest corps don't win or place well.  It drives me wacko.  They also tend to like more "in your face" shows than esoteric ones which seemed to be preferred on the coasts.  Star was the exception to this rule (as is Gmen to a lesser degree) - Star got much better reactions on the coasts than at midwest venues

That isn't true. In 2003, when the Blue Devils ended the Cavaliers winning streak, the crowd went crazy. I think people just dislike the Cadets.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you!

Boo Cadets :) That's ok, they won't be able to hear the boos later this year because those fat championship rings will be stuck in thier ears :)

That isn't true. In 2003, when the Blue Devils ended the Cavaliers winning streak, the crowd went crazy.

Yeah...but the sudden intake of breathe to a startled stadium was pretty neat.

In 2nd Place...blah blah blah...The Cavaliers. SUDDEN GASP!!!!!!!!!!

That was pretty amazing. I think all the air in the RCA Dome was sucked out that night. I was one of them cause I was so sure the Cavies would win.

I think people just dislike the Cadets.

I don't think it's as much disliking the CORPS itself...maybe more the show and the corps director. Hoppie has lost a fair share of fans with a lot of his new proposed changes.

I think the booing may have also had to do with the stupid yet rampant mindset (especially around younger people like me, who are more condusive to booing) that DCI has only two member corps: The Cavaliers and the rest.

How dare the judges say the Cavaliers lost! Shame on them. :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

The booing was uncalled for. Thankfully the members of the Cavies themselves act better than some of the fans do. A close friend of mine is in the hornline this year, those guys dont care about winning, they just have fun. I remember him telling me about audition camp and Jeff (I think) saying "If you came here to win a world championship, there's the door"

I'm also glad to see the boys from Rockford rewarded for their great playing.

That isn't true.  In 2003, when the Blue Devils ended the Cavaliers winning streak, the crowd went crazy.  I think people just dislike the Cadets.

2003 was the last time I was at the Indy show, and what I do remember was the crowd going crazy for BD, but not as crazy for The Cavies. I think it was because The Cavies had just added the new ending, and a bunch of people around me (myself included) had the "it's...over...?" look on our faces. There was no booing that year when The Cavies were named 2nd...at least not in my general area.

Ok, back to the show review.

I sat so far up in the nosebleed section I had a hard time hearing and understanding what was being played. Specific corps: SCV. .. boy, how far they've fallen! They reminded me of the Colts, not SCV ...sad. Their drill was plodding. Very unlike the corps I know and love.

Phantom... love PR, but don't care at all for this music. Don't care to hear a entire show based on the United Airline theme song. It just does not fit Phantom at all, Imo.

Devils, ditch that fricking mic!! MAN, that is annoying!! Cadets, nice midfield closet... not. I'll need to hear these guys and Devils at Finals to judge them musically as that Dome muddies the sound something awful!

Do enjoy Bluecoats show... from what I could make out of it musically. And Scouts and Cavies, both have phenomenal shows this season. Have seen them both before and really enjoyed their shows.

Aside: What gives with Cadets winning and Cavies doing the standstill?!? WTH is with that?! I was soo looking forward to them doing their music and then Cavies set up! Can't recall last show I've been to where the winning Corps wasn't playing at the end. Hope this isn't another fantastic 'change' put in. They've always gotta screw with it somehow, someway....

Phantom... love PR, but don't care at all for this music. Don't care to hear a entire show based on the United Airline theme song.

IMO, it's too bad that one of Gershwin's greatest works is remembered as nothing more than background music for an airline commercial. That's the downside of making legitimate musical works double as jingles. I know I'm restating the painfully obvious, but Rhapsody in Blue was around long before United Airlines began using it as a promotional tool. . . .

IMO, it's too bad that one of Gershwin's greatest works is remembered as nothing more than background music for an airline commercial. That's the downside of making legitimate musical works double as jingles. I know I'm restating the painfully obvious, but Rhapsody in Blue was around long before United Airlines began using it as a promotional tool. . . .

And sadly,it fits the commercial far better than it does Phantom.....