tired of it all

Awesome post, guardmom. Anybody here who has gotten to know most of the anti-amp crowd knows that they are good people with good intent, no matter how much we disagree with their opinions. Drum corps, however we choose to define it, is an emotional subject because it's so important to all of us. Let those who voice their complaints do so sans ad hominem. I'll admit it took me awhile to do so, but I think I get it now. I won't hesitate to question their opinions, but I'll also remember that they are just as passionate as I am. That's all.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaving already..but after finals! :P I'm leaving and going to DCA and division 2/3 were my support would probably be more accepting...thanks for checking.

I am tired of it all too, but tired of where this is going so I AM going. But not because you told me too.

Thanks for YOUR support :blink: ..and remember, those of us who are leaving..SUPPORTED You once upon a time by going to shows and buying things from your corps, or someone that you knew who marched, or whatever the case may be as far as how you came to drum and bugle corps.

Oh and if you think it's just going to be two or three people leaving...you're mistaken..

Remember this, we were the generation with people sitting on both sides of the stadium.  b**bs

:beer::beer:

Save me a seat on that bus,would Ya Steph!?

I stated in another thread that this was going to be my "Make or Break" season.

I just wanted to see ONE corps come out and blow me away and make me jump up out my seat like I remember crowds doing during the 30+ years I've been a member,Fan,volunteer,etc.. of this activity. It hasn't happened.

At the shows I've been to this season,the most prevalent response was one of quiet applause and a look of bewilderment at what the corps were doing.

I'm a musician. I understand the "Esoteric Shows". I just don't like them!

The only show that I've seen this year that comes close to getting me off my feet was SCV(You ROCK VANGUARD!!), and look what's happening to them!

DCA and enjoyable and exciting shows-Here I Come!!

I undersatnd how listening to complainers can grow tiresome. but please try to keep things in perspective.

Many of those that do not like the changes in DCI are from a time when the activity was much more simple than it is today. Drum Corps was at one time about the kids and those wishing to remain kids at heart. Now with corprate involvement the activity does have a slightly different feel to it. Corps have actual management teams these days. Back when I marched it was all the parents making it happen. Now it is much more complicated to operate a world-class unit and the price of that seems to be that Mom and Pop feel that most corps had in the early 80's.

People complain because they love the activity and just want it to be the way it was when they were either marching, teaching, or volunteering. I think back to 1988 when I got my Ring with the Scouts and can see how much the activity has changed. To be honest I do not like the feel of the activity today, but I am very different at 35 then I was at 18.

It is all about perspective! A persons view of the activity will be different at 18 or when they have a hand in the creative process then it will be when they are in their 30's and have been away for awhile. NEVER tell anyone to leave the activity! Afterall, people make threats about leaving only when the actually care about something. If they didn't care, you would have never heard from them.

These are lean time times for the activity and everyone is needed! As for you statement that DCI corps have to cut kids due in part to the strength of the activity, get a grip on reality. Kids get cut becasue there are fewer corps these days. ####, at the 1986 Drum Corp MIDWEST Championships (for midwest corps only) There were 53 corps that competed and the show took 2 days to complete!

My point is simple! Let people complain! Be happy that they are complaining! People complain when they care and the activity needs everyone they can get!

Brian Gregg

Madison Scouts 1986-90 Eupho/ Lead Baritone

Ok, here is it, i'm tired of it all. whats it you asked. people on here saying they've lost interest in DCI, DCI's changed, i'm not going to go to shows anymore, blah blah blah blah blah. heres what i say to this:

Just go already. if its that much of a problem, go! it's all the negative nancys out there that are causing the drama today in drum corps.

Larry,

I certainly understand where you are coming from...but please believe this...the people who post in these forums do not represent the average viewpoints of the vast numbers who attend shows. This is a very small subset of the total audience. Rabid fans (in the best sense)? Yes....but not indicative of the audience in general. Just attending shows will demonstrate that.

People like to complain about things that are not the way they want them to be...it happened when 2 valves were added...it happened when timpani were added...bells....drills changing from the old (my) start-on-the-left-exit-to-the-right style....just about any change you can think of....only the complaints were more localized "in the day" as there were no forums like these.

So...read these forums...learn a few things...bt then just go out and enjoy drum corps.

Just MHO.

Mike

Notice the word gradual throughout the definitions of the word evolve.  You will find the same for the word evolution as well.  Let's put it this way...all evolution is change, but not all change is evolution.  Just because something changes does not necessarily mean it has evolved.  Evolution is a gradual, step by step process in reaction to environmental conditions.  It does not anticipate the future but gives the organism the best chance to survive in the present because that gives it the best chance in the future.  DCI is proactively changing to anticipate the future, by definition, not evolution.

Exactly what drum corps has been...gradual change over time. Evolution.

Mike

"Don't like it, just leave" usualy is the battle cry, or cop-ot cry, if you will, from those with poor debating skills, those willing to not accept that there are othr with opinion that differ from theirs, those having poor social interaction skills, or greedy, self-centered people that have something the way they want it and refuse to entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe there is another wat, a better way...anything but what is perfect just for them.

G,

Why must you begin your post with such a personal attack lke that? If you disagree with the guy's POV, tell him why, but IMO making statements like the above has no place in DCP.

Mike

Exactly! Ask people around you. They don't know what DCP, RAMD, or any of the rest are. It's rather funny.

..the people who post in these forums do not represent the average viewpoints of the vast numbers who attend shows. This is a very small subset of the total audience. Rabid fans (in the best sense)? Yes....but not indicative of the audience in general. Just attending shows will demonstrate that.

Exactly what drum corps has been...gradual change over time. Evolution.

Mike

I do have to agree here. Non-gradual evolution would have been 3-valved G bugles straight to standard marching band.

I'm leaving already..but after finals! :P I'm leaving and going to DCA and division 2/3 were my support would probably be more accepting...thanks for checking.

Stef, I am sincerely happy for you that you have found a place where drum corps exists as you think it should be! I'm sure that your support of DCA and Div II/III will be noted and appreciated!

<snip>

Oh and if you think it's just going to be two or three people leaving...you're mistaken..

No. From what I've observed on DCP it may be more like 12-15. (okay - that was a shot. I apologize)

Remember this, we were the generation with people sitting on both sides of the stadium.  b**bs

What bothers me about this statement is the "broad brush" of "we were the generation" with the implication that the entire generation feels as you do. That's simply not fact. My observations (also not necessarily fact) is that your views represent a rather small minority of the previous generation (not that it makes your views any less important).

Also, I recall quite clearly that many of the venues (not all) utilized for drum corps competitions were smaller than many used today. That, combined with the fact that, in general, many corps were community based with a significant built-in following of local family and friends, accounts partially for the decline of back side crowds, I think.

Bottom line, I wish you much enjoyment and fullfilment with DCA and Div II/III! I am am ardent supporter of Div II/III myself, having marched in a Class A corps (forerunner of Div II) and having founded and directed a former Div III -1991 and Div II - 1992 DCI Champion Corps).

I attended the Rockmart, GA DCA show earlier this season and honestly - it didn't turn me on much. However, I still very much appreciated the passion, effort and dedication of the corps members, management and staffs of each competing corps!

Guest DrumCorpFan
Awesome post, guardmom.  Anybody here who has gotten to know most of the anti-amp crowd knows that they are good people with good intent, no matter how much we disagree with their opinions.  Drum corps, however we choose to define it, is an emotional subject because it's so important to all of us.  Let those who voice their complaints do so sans ad hominem.  I'll admit it took me awhile to do so, but I think I get it now.  I won't hesitate to question their opinions, but I'll also remember that they are just as passionate as I am.  That's all.

:beer::blink::beer: