Tonights the Night?

I think that the guys who think this will only be a two way race between Cadets and Cavies are going to be in for a surprise.

Where in the world are you guys getting the impression that the gap between Regiment and Cavies is 3 points?

The latest scores for each corps are: Cavies 95.35

PR 93.65

Keep in mind that the Cavaliers' score was from the day after Regiment recieved their latest score. So apparently you guys who think a 1.7 gap is impossible to close, don't know your drum corps. history.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that help you any Nikk?

(And by "person", I didn't mean someone actually in the organization.  I'm not sure how much you're looking to nitpick.)

I was looking to nitpick quite a bit. I guess I was confused because you said "Phantom person" and by that I took you to mean an active booster/supporter/alumnus, when clearly, the person you refer to is not:

Geneva Appleknockers 1965-1973 soprano

Auburn Purple Lancers 1974 Lead soprano

Southern Tier Alumni Reunion (STAR) Drum Corps 1999-2000

Mighty St. Joe's Alumni 2003

You won't hear me -or many other Regiment supporters/alumni- complain about slotting. I am just happy that Regiment is doing well this year and has a show that has connected with the audience. I would love for them to win, but the show would STILL be awesome if they placed 6th, no? Heck, it would STILL be an awesome show if they placed 13th.

Neither you nor I are in charge of scoring any of the corps, so while I will make fun and meaningless predictions, frankly, Regiment has already won the most important title to me: My Favourite Show. :)

I think that the guys who think this will only be a two way race between Cadets and Cavies are going to be in for a surprise. 

I agree, hands down.

~>conner

The Cavies show up to this point (Pending reported changes) may not grasp the audience from a musical standpoint.

I've only seen audiences responding strongly to one musical piece this year, and that's the finale of Cavies "Sweet Home Chicago". No disrespect to anyone else this season, but on tv, that is STILL gonna be the musical highlight to the unwashed masses.

More to the point of the conspiracists, anyone who believes that Dan Acheson gets together with some secret committee and decides who gets in and how they place is working with a serious disconnect from reality. It doesn't work that way. PR has failed to WIN because in all years but '96, someone scored a little higher. In most of those cases, there were demonstrable things that the winners did a little better than PR. Be happy that they finally again have a show that's working in the upper reaches of the activity. If they finish 3rd this year, that's not a bad finish given the strengths of the two highest scoring corps. It isn't a sign that someone simply didn't want to 'let' PR win again.

Edited by mobrien

Cadets show is outstanding but the ESPN audience will need an explanation as to what they are trying to accomplish.

I need an explanation of what they're trying to accomplish. I do not understand their show. I like it, and it's really good, just not the clearest meaning ever.

So in the end I think that it will be best for DCI to have Phantom very close to the others.

I think what would be best for DCI is to have the corps in the right order with the correct amount of space between their scores. I'm not able to say what that would or should be, but I can say that if someone is given a boost because of something that didn't occur on the field is NOT in the best interest of drum corps.

I've only seen audiences responding strongly to one musical piece this year, and that's the finale of Cavies "Sweet Home Chicago". No disrespect to anyone else this season, but on tv, that is STILL gonna be the musical highlight to the unwashed masses.

Well, I've only seen Cavies once this year (Indy) and I will see them tomorrow night at Giants Stadium, but from my one viewing, the Cavies were not even close to offering the "one musical piece" to which the audience responded. If anything, imho, the Cavies stand to lose the most ground to Phantom in Music GE. The fans in Indy did not have anywhere near the same response to the Cavies' music at any point as they did for Phantom throughout their entire program.

I would never be so bold as to predict the judges would do one thing, or another, but it would not surprise me in the least to see Phantom pass Cavies by the end of the year. In my opinion, it would be great to see Cavies and BD lose their stanglehold on the top 2 for at least one year.

I don't see it happening. I don't think Phantom's show is quite in the same league as Cavies or Cadets as far as musical or visual go. To be honest, I am really surprised they are scoring above Madison or Bluecoats at this time. This is not meant to be negative towards Phantom, I just think that Madison and Bluecoats have totally amazing shows this year. And Cadets have the most awesome show I have seen from them since 98. And the Cavies-other than one time I saw them this year and there was a lot of dirt, the rest of the times I have seen them this year, they have had the most complete package of anyone I have seen.

I need an explanation of what they're trying to accomplish. I do not understand their show. I like it, and it's really good, just not the clearest meaning ever.

I think what would be best for DCI is to have the corps in the right order with the correct amount of space between their scores. I'm not able to say what that would or should be, but I can say that if someone is given a boost because of something that didn't occur on the field is NOT in the best interest of drum corps.

I agree about what wouldn't be good for DCI from an ethics point of view, but this is fast becoming a business. And with ESPN providing coverage, this could potentially be huge for DCI. I don't think DCI judges are above leaning a certain way toward another corp if only by a few tenths on a given night. Fortunately this year Phantom appears to be in a position to make a big impact that wouldn't be beyond the scope of reality.

I say Keep it Clean but what we view as best for DCI as a whole may not be what they view as best for the activity for years to come.

I don't see it happening. I don't think Phantom's show is quite in the same league as Cavies or Cadets as far as musical or visual go. To be honest, I am really surprised they are scoring above Madison or Bluecoats at this time......

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you saw Phantom Regiment? If this were two weeks ago I'd probably agree with you, but they definitely kicked it into another gear as recently as Indy (maybe before that, but I don't know - I can only speak from what I experienced in Indy).

Edited by Machine