What are your aches and pains....

Since a lot of us posters on the Historical Drum Corps Discussions Forum are age outs and the like, what are your aches and pains and can you track thme back to drum corps.

Did you have an injury that has hampered you later on in your life?

With me, it's my knees and shoulder. Carrying a contra for eight years and marching for ten, it only hurts when I am on my feet for a long time, forget about running.

What are your aches and pains???

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lower back from carrying a set of vibes. But in all fareness, it was made much worse by a rock climbing fall. See my profile to understand the weight involved.

After years of carrying a contra bass, and umpiring for 31 years, finally had two complete knee replacements.

I am wondering with all these kids today and being on the practice field for 8 hours at a time, what type of injuries they may have not after they age out, but now.

Also, being in hot sun, skin cancer!!!!

Just a thought!

CODI

CODI - Stood 25 feet away from Crossmans horn line at their practice in Gettysburg. When the wind was right the smell of sun screen took your breath away (or gag depending on how sensitive you are to that smell).

Let's see, no cartledge in my big toes thanks to practicing on asphalt in corps, HS band and college band. Went thru bone spur removal (big waste), getting cortazone shots every 6 months. Come fall I'm going for joint replacement as the spurring is getting so bad the joint is misshapened..

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Well, my knees crick and crack quite a bit. A result of pounding them into the ground with the ol' high mark time? Could be.

However, I can credit all the flag spinning with contributing to the fact that after almost 27 years of driving buses, the rotator cuffs in my shoulders haven't given me any trouble like a lot of younger drivers. I think it's my "technique" that developed over the years while pretending that I still had a flag pole in my hands that helped.

• 2 weeks later...

I stepped backwards off a 4 story bldg. while I was in the Army, so all kinds of problems too numerous to mention. Only drum corps related in the sense I was hurrying to get a job done so I could go and teach one of my charts to Bellevue Sentinel (WA) after work. The Army was nice enough to give them back the bari I borrowed and had stuffed in my locker.

Hah! There's one more corps that I marched in "their uniform" for at least one gig.....almost forgot about that, but won't claim it exactly.

RON HOUSLEY

Kingsmen Alumni Corps

Edited by ffernbus3

Pre-corps knee injury exacerbated by too much time on my knees in the Phantom Regiment. Ha. We were nice girls, honest. Knee drops, deep knee bends, lunges, etc., took their toll. Every time my knee twinges, I remember what a blast it all was!

I personally do not suffer any aches and pains from marching, but I do have a strange relunctance to carry anything round and heavy draped from my shoulders....but my kid sister has no tendons in her right knee from having a brand new rifle hit her knee with the stalk still in it... the stalk hit her knee dead on vertically and nearly cracked her kneecap in half.... her ache makes a better weather predictor than any meteoroligist I know of. :sshh:

Edited by susantaylor40

No lasting effects here, except for maybe a little brain damage. But, I made it a point to not play hurt unless it was really important, to the angerment of a few instructors who felt I should be out on the rehearsal field whether I was crippled or not. I was eventually ordered by a pediatrician to stop carrying tympani because my shoulders went numb. Another year I sat out about two weeks of rehearsals with a back problem, but it got better when I changed the harness. I can still hoist a marimba ok, but wouldn't want to do it 12 hours a day. I just followed a basic rule... If it hurts, stop it. ($1 to Bob Newhart)

Hard to say, it could be 5years in junior corps or almost 23 years in the service. But my knees and back are shot. (But I still marched Baritone this season! It was supposed to be a Euphonium, but my back couldn't handle it. :P )

Next year?.....PIT? :worthy: