What are your aches and pains....

umm....my back and my knee which is currently in a brace and I'm on crutches for six weeks after surgery.

all injuries sustained this year before all days in my rook-out year and im actually in tip top shape and not overweight one bit

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*aaaa-CHOO* Another dusty thread to bump up.

Had surgery on my right wrist three times to remove ganglions, probably from snare drumming. Bad knees, my feet are shot too many miles on them and my right shoulder and back are sore all the time. Someone mentioned brain damage...yeah some of that too.

Sometimes I get the 'duts' and can't stop, even in the mall. When I wake someone up in the morning it never fails, I yell out "Wakey wakey, rise and shine...t-shirts and shorts c'mon let's go!" (tm Mrs.Barfett.) When I count to ten it's 'one...two...one, two, three, four... I love the smell of diesel exhaust and have been caught more than once sniffing around the back of idling greyhound busses. :wacko::help:

After 2 years of HS band, 1 year of drum and baton corps, 5 years of DCI, and 4 years of college band mainly playing tenors, and practicing with them on practically every day, (weighing about 120 lbs on average) my back is fried. I had the lumbar spinal fusion in May and things are better, but not good. I should have had the surgery years ago before the nerve damage got so bad, but I went conservative with Cortisone and nerve burning (pure torture!). Still have nerves in my legs firing off at weird times, some numbness in my feet. Sometimes my left foot drags, so I have a Quasimodo effect: it's quite attractive. I would like to do Alumni corps, but I think that train has already left the station,lol.

In hindsight I thought that 20 years of spinning, including 7 years as a drum major, would cause me neck and shoulder issues later in life. It didn’t. However, 10 years marching in leather boots with flat feet may have caused my boot bunions. I’ve learned to live with my boot bunions by wearing soft shoes. My only regret is that I had to hang up my ice skates 15 years ago. It became too painful to skate.

On the upside, I rediscovered drum corps 5 years ago and showed my work colleague a few drum corps photos from the 1970’s. She replied “Aha! It makes sense now; when I see you walk to our office, it looks like you’re marching!” Now I have to explain my past to anyone that sees me march-walk. No worries, I like talking about drum corps and winter guard to anyone willing to listen :smile:

Arthritic toes mainly..... if it wasn't for Drum Corps I'd never know there is a replacement joint for toes (have 1, holding on another). Thing looks like a cocktail pick with two very small metal plates. Hope todays members NEVER have a main drill "field" on macadam parking lots. 3 yrs of HS, 1 in college and 6 in DC before I was 22 had me set up for bone spurs by 45...... .

Probable bone spurs in left shoulder now and another long term Bari has the same problem. Once in a while you see us in a parade with the left arm tight against the body and holding the horn from the bottom.

LOL, had hernia surgery last year that had nothing to do with Drum Corps. But made the surgeon smile aferwards when he asked if I do any activity that would pull the sutures. As the sutures were straight up and down above my naval (Umbilical hernia) breathing deep to play pulled like Hades. Told him about parading with a Bari and he said wait a few more weeks. Then he got this "Finally.... something new" look on his face.

On the good side, my regular doc was starting paperwork to give me a stress test as part of my physical. He asked about physical activity and I said about marching parades. He siad that wasn't bad and then I said "playing a horn that weights about 6-8 pounds"..... He put put the paperwork away. :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

None for me. I marched my butt off with high leg lifts in the 70's, 2 tours in the Army, a few years later in DCA (Crusaders). I guess I am lucky. A friend of mine who marched in Royal Coachmen with me and later Seneca, Oakland and SCV has bad knees.

well let's see

both knees have been surgically repaired - thank you high leg lift

Does a bad back from wrecking Hop's car (Dick Hoppe) on the way home from the Batavia show in june of 1965 count? It was a great party after the show...

But in spite of it all, we'd do it all again. Right? :smile:

But in spite of it all, we'd do it all again. Right? :smile:

Faster than you can say 'horns...UP!'

Edited by DLMillard

Bad lower back, hernia, crunchy knees! lol Gettin' auld sucks!