Fran Haring Memories

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His niece is getting married to an old buddy of mine........all Fran keeps saying is that Jack is a great guy, but he is crazy !!!! 

Many more memories of Fran behind the mic.....cause he just sounds  right !

Thabnks for the kind words, Ed.

BTW, my niece Kerri went through with the wedding... she didn't back out at the last minute!!!! :P

What a party at the reception.... wow!!!!

Oh yeah.... I gave Jack your "cheery" marriage message that you asked me to relay to him..... he laughed his a## off!!!!!

Fran

All;

I am working on a Fran Haring article to be published before the 2005 DCA World Championship.  I already have many pages in place, but I decided that I would like to get some input from those of you who has unique "Fran Haring" memories.  You can also offer some interview questions that may be of interest to the drum corps community.  B)

So provide me your input, please let me know if you do not wish to be identified.

I need this information within the next week so I can complete the article for publication.

(BTW, I wrote the article on Key Poulan, SVC Brass Arranger in the latest DCW).

Please either post to this forum or send me an e-mail directly (william.thorpe@mci.com).

Much appreciated!  :rock:

Bill,

About Fran, all kidding aside (and he did not pay us as yet.....), but there is no

way to tell you about the true, blue Fran. A person who is always there when you

need someone, who you can always count on, who always has your back in good times and bad times, someone when you say I need help, he is right there, no questions asked, no delay in his promptness and never ending friendship. We spent a lot of years with Fran in the Sunrisers, we would have to say that Fran was the ultimate example of what we always believed was the Sunriser Family.

Thanks for writing this about Fran.

Donna White (I am using Tony's DCP account).

I will say this:

for years you have heard Brandt Crocker called THE Voice of DCI, and he is.

well, since 1983, DCA has it's own voice, and one I hope to hear forever...Fran Haring, THE voice of DCA

This is more a screw up on my part but at the 2005 Dixie Stinger, Fran was doing the emceeing. I stopped him in the hall and asked that he announce that my husband, Bob, was celebrating his 50th birthday that night. I asked if he would call Bob out when the Yankee Rebels took the stage so I and the corps could embarass my husband. When the Rebels took the stage, BEHIND THE CURTAIN b**bs , sure enough, Fran announces Bob's 50th birthday and would he stand up. Bob is ALSO in the Yankee Rebels, a minor point that I neglected to mention to Fran. So, when Bob doesn't acknowledge this announcement, Fran announces it again. I am behind the curtain yelling NO, NO, wait until the curtain opens! To top everything off, Bob never heard Fran since he was behind the curtain and not expecting the surprise.

The best laid plans.......................Fran was a sweetie for announcing it though. :angel:

2000, Syracuse, my first ever DCA contest. We came in 2nd in Class A, not good enough for a Sunday night performance. For the rest of the weekend we got to watch all the shows, though. Announcing, of course, was the golden voice of Fran Harring. I bought some old DCA CDs. I recognized that announcer. I knew he was someone special.

Fast forward to 2003. We were marching the show in Clifton. We'd been treated like visiting royalty by the Cabs. I got to meet BOTH Jimmy Russo & Chuck Bishop at the post the night before the contest. A great start to a great weekend.

At show site, I roll my pit equipment onto the field and the announcers table is practically IN the pit box. Low and behold, right there in front of me, I can actually hear the words coming out of his mouth before the sound from the PA gets to me, "Drum Majors Greg Teems & Marvin Fontain, is your corps ready..." HOLY SMOKES! It's the voice - the man - right there - I could have touched him. The most famous voice in senior corps..."CorpsVets, you may take the field in competition!" Just like the big boys!

I had nearly ripped three nails off my left hand loading my stuff into the truck the night before, but I was so stoked it wasn't going to matter.

Here sat a guy, not 3 feet away from me, who's probably seen more drum & bugle corps than I can even imagine. Greg counted us off, and I started to play with as much enthusiasm as I've ever had for a performance. I'm jumping around behind my equipment like a striped-butt-ape, having the time of my life, selling my little part of the show like I never had before.

About midway through the 2nd song, I sneak a peak at "The Man" to see how impressed he must be by the show I've been putting on just for him. What was Fran's reaction to my "in your face" performance? I don't think he looked at me once. He had his nose burried in a copy of Drum Corps World.

I didn't care. For those 11 minutes, my fingers quit hurting and I remembered, I don't do this activity to impress anyone. I do it because I love to do it. I also remembered that we were just another corps and I'm sure Fran has seen a million of them. It has never stopped being an honor to hear Fran say those magic words, "CorpsVets, you may take the field..." I look forward to rejoining my corps so I can hear them echo off the stands once again.

I will always consider Fran Harring's reaction to my performance as license to heckle him every chance I get, including sitting in the front row for the first half of LMSS. (Now you know who to look out for, Fran)

BTW, we took high guard that night and managed to finish ahead of a corps that beat us by almost 5 points at finals. It was a good night.

...Scranton 2004........... Fran....."??????....is your Corps' Ready....? (She (Drum Major) partially disrobes) Fran..........."I guess that means their ready........."

Laughed my ### off...........as did the crowd...........what a classic.......... b**bs

What was Fran's reaction to my "in your face" performance?  I don't think he looked at me once.  He had his nose burried in a copy of Drum Corps World. 

LOL!!!!

For the record, I have never read a copy of Drum Corps World during a show.

Golf Magazine, maybe..... B)

Fran

This is more a screw up on my part but at the 2005 Dixie Stinger, Fran was doing the emceeing. I stopped him in the hall and asked that he announce that my husband, Bob, was celebrating his 50th birthday that night. I asked if he would call Bob out when the Yankee Rebels took the stage so I and the corps could embarass my husband. When the Rebels took the stage, BEHIND THE CURTAIN  b**bs , sure enough, Fran announces Bob's 50th birthday and would he stand up. Bob is ALSO in the Yankee Rebels, a minor point that I neglected to mention to Fran. So, when Bob doesn't acknowledge this announcement, Fran announces it again. I am behind the curtain yelling NO, NO, wait until the curtain opens! To top everything off, Bob never heard Fran since he was behind the curtain and not expecting the surprise.

The best laid plans.......................Fran was a sweetie for announcing it though. :angel:

Oops!!!! Sorry 'bout that, Robbie!

Memo to self: Next year at the Dixie Stinger, MAKE SURE THE CURTAIN IS OPEN first before making a birthday announcement. :P

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

All;

Sorry, I have not been able to monitor this thread over the past week. :ph34r: I was in Foxboro (for obvious reasons) and after I returned I was trying to catch up with my professional life. So thanks to all of you who has contributed. :blink: I would like to request more if you have them. I will need to close this thread by early next week so the article can be written and turned over to Steve Vickers (who by the way looks great and seems more healthy than I ever remember him looking - did you lose weight Steve?). ^OO^

So, a couple more days are avilable, so please post your memories about the one and only Fran Haring! B)

Regards,