Now that Blue Stars opt for Division I...

ECJ's been on record since '04 as intending to move up to D1 in the near future (I think by '07), but Peter Laflamme of Spartans has been pretty consistent in saying that the corps is comfortable remaining a Div 2 group.

This is what I heard as well.

The Spartans have been around 50 years because they have NOT tried to do more than what make sense. ECJ has also taken a logical approach, IMHO. I say, let 'em stay in D2 as long as they see fit. Both are great assets to the drum corps community especially in an area with such a rich drum corps history but only 1 Div 1 corps left...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But for every fizzle (Pioneer, Kiwanis, Southwind) there is a success story (Carolina Crown, Glassmen, Bluecoats).  It just takes time, dedication and a well thought out game plan...and a little bit of luck

I'm not 100% sure corps are a "fizzle" if they are still fielding. I'd say a "fizzle" would be Les Etoiles or Academie, or other corps who moved up fro Div. II to Open Class and folded after a few years.

No, Kiwanis Kavaliers, Pioneer, and Southwind aren't going to be making Top 12 this year, but they are still competing.

--

doug

I agree.....I think any corps which is capable of taking on a full tour (and surviving to compete the next year) is a success story. This year Southwind is very competitive with many corps. Not too long ago 1996-1998, Kiwanis was knocking on the Top 12 door by placing 14th for a couple years within striking distance. The only corps I could see moving up next year would be Blue Stars. They experienced a full tour this year, and have the numbers. Their approach to design though will have to change though if they want to be competitive in Div 1. For example: If they competed this year in quatres with their show, I think they would place closely with Troopers, Magic and Esperenza. As for ECJ and Spartans....I think they are happy as a Div 2 corps right now....and before any thoughts of moving up occurr, they will have to try a full tour. Div 1 is about being on the road for 3 months straight.....not neccessarily fielding 135 members.

Why is the term "moving up", like it is the only place for a corps to go? And while we are at it, not ever DIV 1 corps tries to make top 12, and not every top 12 corps actually thinks they are gonna win. Not every 3 wants to be 2 and not all 2s want to be 1s. By this logic, every corps goal is to eventually win DCI. That is ridiculous.

I would say most corps are happy with the DIV they are in. And as far as DIV 2 dwindling, all it will take is for a DIV3 corps to feild 80 members and they are DIV 2. Heck, BD b, SCV Cadets and Academy go to finals next year and you have 11 DIV 2 corps.

The corps that moved from DIV 2 to DIV 1 may have dreams of cracking the top 12 on day, but they still tour year to year. I have a feeling these corps know their niche in DCI and have no problem filling it. The kids get to tour full time and have a great summer.

In this "free agency" market of drum corps, if you really want a ring pick a top 3 corps and buy a plane ticket. If you are in DIV 2 and want to make the top 12, pick a top 12 corps and buy a plane ticket.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to build a dynasty, some have done it. But I feel most corps are what they are and know it. By the way, the activity is getting better and better yearly. Some of these semi finalists would have made top 12 years ago. Some of the top DIV 2/3 could make semis.

Side note: As corps management becomes more of a science, I see many more corps in all DIVs on the horizon.

Spartans maybe but more like 2007, the Eastcoast I would be shock if they went Div1 because both corps especially ECJ have problems getting Div1 numbers on the field. Both Spartans & ECJ are great D2 corps, so why go D1 when both would field less than 100 members. It's a up hill battle competing now a days in D1 with less than 100 on the field mainly trying to crack the top 12 consistently every year. ECJ just like Spartans.......stay D2 you both are great corps.

Pioneer/The Thing was deadly competitive in Div II, but they have not gone anywhere since they became Division I 8 years ago.

Excuse me ?

In 2004/2003/2002 maybe not that much.....

2001 : 0,05 out of semi's

2000 : 16th

1999 : 17th

1998 : 18th

1995 : 0.3 out of semi's

That is not anywhere ?

But for every fizzle (Pioneer, Kiwanis, Southwind) there is a success story (Carolina Crown, Glassmen, Bluecoats).  It just takes time, dedication and a well thought out game plan...and a little bit of luck

By "fizzle" I meant corps that move up from D2 and then fold within a few seasons like Tarheel Sun, Les Etoiles, or Academie Musicale, to name a few. I don't think it constitutes "fizzling out" just because you don't make D1 finals. I don't know the situation at Kiwanis, but Southwind and Pioneer have been pretty darn successful in my eyes. No, they're not ruling the roost competitively, but there's a lot more to drum & bugle corps than that.

Edited by Orpheus

Spartans maybe but more like 2007, the Eastcoast I would be shock if they went Div1 because both corps especially ECJ have problems getting Div1 numbers on the field.  Both Spartans & ECJ are great D2 corps, so why go D1 when both would field less than 100 members. 

Spartans had 106 members on the field when I saw them two days ago.

Im a Blue Stars alumn and am both excited and nervious about what will happin next year. It is true that we took on a full tour this year to prove to our selves and to DCI that we are more than capable ( spelling) of handling it.

Also I think that any Div II or III corps that isnt striving to be a division I corps is setting them selves up for a lot of problems. Div I corps are treated in a hole different way by DCI then II, III corps. ( Im not saying I agree with this but look at the recent history of it all) II, III corps are getting choked by "the future" Now again im being very P.C. here so bare with me. I marched in Div III the entire time I was in the corps so you little guys keep on keepn on and kik but and take names. I also dont really blame dci for alot of (tuff) decisions they have made the past few years. It is all very complex.

The Blue Stars are huge and young, the finances are moving in the right direction and the staff will build around what they have and push to envalope like always. My dream is to watch my team compete Saturday night once again. ( and not because of winning Div II or III.) which by the way is not even allowed any more. I mean being in the top twelve. When I marched here we always felt that we were a Div I corps trapped in a div III body.

So give it up for the Blue team. If it doesnt work, It doesnt work. but we were all so tired of battling numbers that if we dont take our shot now we maybe never will.

FCO,

joeB

88,89,92,93,94 fore ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok dont get all ticked at me but just a devil's advocate situation. should BS go to DI, with extreamly hard competition for semis will the be competative or left in the dust. Its alot tougher to go to DI now with the competition being so tuff will any new corps moving up be able to hang with them?