You've gotta see this pic.......

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However,DCI may be whatever it becomes, but adding woodwinds to I&E shows that you do not service just drum and bugle corps anymore. It's not DCI's place to become a wayward home for woodwinds. The tradition of DCI's mission statement for drum and bugle corps rings false.

Sure it's servicing the members of the corps. Many play other instruments and this gives them a chance to play them in competition. It's a good idea.

Mike

there is a huge difference.

woodwinds and until 2 years ago, anything requiring a plug or generator were not allowed on the field.

the thing is this...drum corps was successful on it's own..and growing back in popularity the last few years as it was...why the need to change what was working and growing again?

To grow it even more...

Mike

Sure it's servicing the members of the corps. Many play other instruments and this gives them a chance to play them in competition. It's a good idea.

Mike

Well, just for grins, say some corps members are vocal majors. Do we add a show choir competition?

Or, what if they play stringed instruments? Do we add a string competition?

Or, even, what if there were music composition majors who wanted a competition?

Where does it end?

DCI is not an activity that has supporting woodwinds as part of its ideology. In the grand realm of "Music Education" (echo, echo, echo....:P) however, it gets its legs.

It's not always about using that "expanding the paradigm through education" argument, though, or else all tradition is lost.

I'm not going to go down the "slippery slope" argument trail, but, really...rather than me throw out examples, ask yourself...where do you stop and still call it drum and bugle corps?

Maybe we should ask the Tootsie Roll owl. :P

howmany3.jpg

Edited by bawker

After all, it is just I&E. I seriously doubt DCI will ever allow woodwind instrumentation in their D1-D3 divisions. Unless Hopkins is from another planet and has mind control over the DCI B.O.D............. now that I think about it. That could be a possibility. :P ^_^