You've gotta see this pic.......

I can only speak from my own perspective, but I think the most defining line between the two activities exists off the field.  That would refer to the independent nature of most corps, the age range of their membership and the practice/performance schedule they employ.  I think these differences set drum corps apart from high school or college band to a far greater extent than something as arbitrary as instrumentation.

See, I don't think the two are that far enough apart right now, or were even five or ten years ago, to warrant such a fuss.  :)

All drum corps are marching bands, but not all marching bands are drum corps.

Or something like that.

But now I'm sure I'm really ticking the dinosaurs off.  :P

Nah, dude, I've got DCA. I'm cool.

Just an interested observer as far as DCI goes at this point.

And, yeah, I agree that drum corps an a "experience" is different than marching band...however, when you add in a woodwind element, it's sort of like where does DCI begin and BOA end, y'know? Instrumentation as far as what's a "drum and bugle corps" doesn't really have woodwinds in that realm of er...nomenclature. They'll just have to call it International Bands or something.

The only "good" thing is that many BOA and marching band groups would be ready made for the field, possibly increasing the number of bands in competition.

I might even go see a show out of curiousity when i takes place...but man, it's going to be real, real weird when it happens. It'll probably be my last, as I can see marching bands of BOA quality closer by and at a cheaper price. :)

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"None" to both, making me clearly an outsider. But hey, I admit that. I'm just a fan in the stand who loves him some drum corps, buys several tickets every year, CD's and DVD's every year, and a good handful of souvenirs every year as well. It's not my place to say that DCI should add saxophones or electronics or even trombones. But I don't see the problem in saying that if that's the direction in which DCI chooses to go, I'll be there in the stands as always, listening to my CD's on the way to and from the show. :)

Now, you can dismiss my view by saying "well, he never marched", but there are those who have marched that share my opinion. How will you dismiss what they have to say?

My only experience marching was in high school band, at the top level of BOA. Undoubtedly that experience has colored my perspective toward DCI, but that shouldn't be any surprise. After all, you seem to be implying that had I marched DCI I would have a different perspective than I have now. Unfortunately I never got that chance, but then if we are creatures of perspective, then my particular opinion should come as no surprise.

Edited by Maedhros

I'm not saying the woodwinds are good or bad, but the one thing that does jump out to me is that this event allowed the flute player from Pioneer to actually get a medal! Lets be honest: I&E is probably the only way that anyone from Pioneer would be able to get a medal (or beat anyone from the Cavaliers, etc)-- and this is coming from a big Pioneer supporter, so don't take that as a slam.

With this event he was able to expand his summer musical experience beyond just his regular instrument in the corps and he was able to be successful in this other event. He won't have the flute on the field tomorrow afternoon, so what is it hurting?!! He should be recognized at some point (age-out ceremony/Semis night?) for having the highest score in the woodwind division, and he deserves to be proud for performance he gave, especially after he gave up free time to practice that additional instrument.

Forget about the people who won't go to shows, imagine how many KIDS will be quitting if woodwinds were brought in. Think about that.

And I'll tell you one thing, nothing grates on my nerves and ear drums more than a large amount of woodwinds playing together. Now a corps playing with an additional 30 clarinets, flutes, and saxes? I need that like I need an infected scrotum.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

Now, you can dismiss my view by saying "well, he never marched", but there are those who have marched that share my opinion.  How will you dismiss their opinion?

It all has to do with "credibility" my friend.

For example, if I (who am a computer network administrator) diagnosed you with cancer, would you act on my diagnosis, or would you want a second opinion from an M.D.?

Or how about if I pulled you over and gave you a traffic ticket. Would that ticket be valid?

Experience and credibility go a long way in supporting an opinion. That's all I'm saying. :)

Edited by PeeWee

No it doesn't, Mike...don't lump those changes into this. This is woodwinds in the I&E of drum and bugle corps.

Yes, it's I&E. What's the problem?

So, sugar coat it how you want, it's not something that DCI should be doing, unless it changes its name.

Sure it is...if they so choose.

Mike

Now a corps playing with an additional 30 clarinets, flutes, and saxes? I need that like I need an infected scrotum.

:rock: Priceless man!

For example, if I (who am a network administrator) diagnosed you with cancer, would you act on my diagnosis, or would you want a second opinion from an M.D.?

That's a bit of a straw man argument. We're not talking about the application of technical skills here, we're talking about the voicing of a personal opinion. That's what a discussion board is for. A more apt analogy would be this: Yes, you marched, but today's writers, designers, and directors have far more experience and credibility than you do, in some cases even decades of experience. Yet you feel comfortable coming on here and telling us how you feel about such and such show, do you not? In the same manner, I feel comfortable coming on here and telling you how I would feel if DCI added woodwinds. :)

Experience and credibility go a long way in supporting an opinion.  That's all I'm saying. :)

To that extent, I would agree. But David Gibbs and George Hopkins have the experience and credibility to match just about anyone in the activity, and they support woodwinds. So while you can shoot this messenger by telling me I never marched, you're going to need a stronger argument than that if you're going to convince me that I'm wrong.

Edited by Maedhros