The day drum corps died.

It's not dead as an activity certainly ... dead as we know it ... probably.

Mike is right. Drum corps used to "save" kids from the streets. You didn't have to know what you were doing when you joined the local corps (although you better have some chops before moving up to a "traveling" corps). I've been feeling for a while that drum corps (DCI anyway) has gotten a little high brow, a little arrogant, a little inaccessible for the average kid. More music and dance majors than kids off the street.

Remember when corps was hard core? I remember being afraid of the 27th Lancers guard cuz they'd as soon kick your ### as look at you. Seemed natural at the time, seems kinda' humorous now ... but I digress.

Sigh ... I still love it.

Edited by jojo

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonderful assessment, Jojo. You put into words exactly how I feel. Thanks!

...and 27th looked in awe upon Anaheim Kingsmen guards of the early 70s. But no matter what, SCV will always be rememberd for a fine old school guard....one only has to look at the old vids to see the determination on these young women's faces.....and Bottle Dance still rocks the house in people's minds: Hey! that WAS "dance," wasn't it?

Yup, drum corps is different, some ways better, some ways not. But I will always check in to see what's up, like it or not. To me, drum corps today is sort of like watching horror movies (don't take the metaphor too much to heart)....I like to watch them, been watching them since I was a kid......I know they all suck but I keep hoping for that one that will make it worth it.

And, having paid for the entertainment....and having been associated with drum corps since 1959 (even in absentia)....I feel I have the right to my opinions. If I hadn't paid for the product (DVDs from DCI, corps souvies, eBay stuff, private purchases, etc.) it would be different, but I bought it so have the right to express opinions that are as grounded and as honest as I can make them without being mean-spirited.

Hey, I figure that if you're in show biz and can't take a negative review of your performance, it might be best to get out of the biz and find a different kind of work.

RON HOUSLEY

Edited by ffernbus3

I have nothing but respect for your opinion, however, it was this attitde that gave drum corps its uniqueness. As for the declining membership, sorry about your corps, by the way, it has more to do with the fact that the average kid can't just walk up to a corps and join any more. Used to be, before even my time, corps were made up of kids that had never even considered playing an instrument in their lives, let alone performing with them - and some of them actually became credible musicians. Used to be that every town, at least back east and in the midwest, had a drum corps and they would have their little circuit and they were proud when they came in fourth in that circuit, because they did something that they never expected they could do. Oh and society hasn't changed that much; the gangs that drum corps were started to prevent, still exist, the disinfranchised kids that drum corps were started to give a place to go to, still are there. The face of drum corps has changed. It's a hustle now. Some call it business, but where I come from it is a hustle. I have been away for a while, so I need more information about the actual business structure of DCI to make any further comments.

Drum corps came from violence. It came from the violence of war, it came from the violence of the streets and it's uniqueness was the violence of it's music. It was loud and brash, most corps sounded like crap, even by the standards of the day, but they were loud and they made the stands rock. There were corps that eixisted knowing that they would never win a national title, not even a local title, but they were loud and they had heart. Those kids had heart. Oh and there was some guy/girl standing in front of them making marks on a sheet every time they made a mistake. But they kept coming back - some of them into their late 20's(Muchachos).

That was the difference between marching band and drum corps. You had to go to school to be in marching band, most corps were made up of drop outs who couldn't read music, but were given intsruction via some weird notation based on whether or not they used a piston or rotor or both - or not. The better drummers knew rudiments and were told to play them in this spot for this length of time, etc. That was why there was such violent responce to being called a band. And actually when corrected most people would respond with respect for the fact that we stood up for our activity, that we had the balls, for lack of a better word, to stand up and define our self worth, beyond something else, that had very little to do with us. And in the above mentioned case, the guy in question actually apologized and corrected himself and called us a corps.

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a case of to much caffiene, not enough psycho-tropics. I don't long for the return of the days of VFW or the American Legion, all I am asking for is a respect for something that has remained unique for it's entire existence. there are gerations of people who gave of their hearts and souls for this unique activity, I talk to people who are in their later years who did this thing long before I was even thought of. We are all very proud of the fact that Drum Corps has reached the point it has, but leave it its dignity and uniqueness. Leave  the opportunity for kids that would never have a chance to do this thing we call drum corps intact.

Aw enough...bring it on.

Now maybe I'm just another "Olde Fhart", but DCI has changed waaaaaay too much for my taste. I just finished my first season in corps in 25 years, and there are a few things that I didn't like.

- Amps - WTF? I thought this was supposed to be a brass and drum thing.

- Why do so many corps sound the same? Where is the individual corps style?

- Same as above, but substitute "look" for "sound".

- Does anyone actually MARCH anymore? Or is it just scurry from set to set?

- Narration? What happened to the pennalty for speaking on the field?

- INFLATED scores. Are we not trying to hurt somebody's feelings?

But its not all bad. There are lots of good things still:

- Amazing musicians. These kids have tons of talent.

- Some wonderful shows: i.e. PR '05.

- Emergence of some "new blood" : i.e. Academy, Oregon Crusaders, etc.

- Re-emergence of a few old corps: Bridgemen, Anaheim Kingsmen, Blue Stars returning to Open Class ^0^ . (I know, Div 1)

- Musical charts that have more real music. (Listen to Academy)

- Most of all - the kids in the corps. Go see Academy, BD, SCV, Fever, or any other corps then talk to the members. It will make you realize that these are the

good kids that the media doesn't talk about enough.

/Soap box *off*

You know, it's actually a good thing, in retrospect, that the time I've devoted to Drum Corps has greatly tailed off over the years. It seems I've avoided witnessing the slow death of an activity I once loved, an activity I once gave so much of myself to.

I marched in bands, I marched in Drum Corps. Each were enjoyable in their own way and each had their place, though I far more enjoyed my Drum Corps experience.

Drum, Woodwinds, Amplifiers & Bugle Corps is just too unwieldy of a name. Let's keep it simple, Drum & Bugle corps.

I agree with the idea expressed by others that Drum Corps began to die after 1976. I watched smaller independent circuits and Independent shows slowly choked off and squeezed out of existence. This took away an activity from countless people that for what ever reason were unable to devote the time, money and travel to march with a DCI competitive corps.

DCI was, is and always will be the bane of all that was good about Drum Corps.

You know, it's actually a good thing, in retrospect, that the time I've devoted to Drum Corps has greatly tailed off over the years.  It seems I've avoided witnessing the slow death of an activity I once loved, an activity I once gave so much of myself to.

<snip>

DCI was, is and always will be the bane of all that was good about Drum Corps.

"Rumors of the death of drum corps have been greatly exaggerated." (in order to advance a specific agenda) I sincerely hate to disappoint you , but drum corps is nowhere near death, from my perspective. Perhaps drum corps of the '70s is dead, I won't argue that, but drum corps of the '70's (when I marched) is right where it belongs - in the '70's - not 2005. The contemporary drum corps of 2005 does not share much cosmetically with the corps of the '70's I marched in. But it shares ALL the important unique characteristics - relentless pursuit of excellence, unparalleled work ethic, lifelong fraternal bonds, personal responsibility - to name a few. I feel sad that you can't enjoy the drum corps that belongs to todays generation of performers, but they own it now and as long as they are passionate about it, it's in good hands and all is well.

But it shares ALL the important unique characteristics - relentless pursuit of excellence, unparalleled work ethic, lifelong fraternal bonds, personal responsibility - to name a few. I feel sad that you can't enjoy the drum corps that belongs to todays generation of performers, but they own it now and as long as they are passionate about it, it's in good hands and all is well.

I've seen all those same characterists shared in team sports, but that doesn't make them Drum Corps. :P

I do see the point you're raising, and to be honest it's a valid point. The problem is the last part. It's really not in good hands, for it's not in the hands of those that love and enjoy it, only those that see it as a business.

But, that's just my personal perspective. I could be wrong. B)

I would be curious to compare the number of M&M corps in 1975 to the number in 2005? I just got done posting on a 4 page thread listing Corps no longer in existence. I'm quite sure that a corresponding number has not sprung to life.

So, I will agree with you that Drum & Bugle as a "concept" still exists, but what Drum Corps was, and it's more than the characteristics you've listed, has certainly died. Tell me, will Blue Devils take some kid cold off the street, stick a horn in his hands, and just like that make him a member? Even back in '80 and 81 I had to try out for the Cadets and Avant Garde. I'm quite sure it hasn't gotten any easier to break into a top 12 type corps.

I'm afraid that my feelings lie more in the direction of the original post of this thread, than with yours.

They need to rename it, it's not drum and bugle corps anymore. It may still be- to some "drum corps"- so that is what I'll call it, until MBI takes over. Marching Bands International. :huh:

I'm not going to finals next year, maybe DCA finals.....that is where it's at! :)

I'm an official DCA groupie! :worthy:

They need to rename it, it's not drum and bugle corps anymore. It may still be- to some "drum corps"- so that is what I'll call it, until MBI takes over. Marching Bands International. :huh: 

I'm not going to finals next year, maybe DCA finals.....that is where it's at! :)

I'm an official DCA groupie! :worthy:

Steph,

Please try and make DCI in 2007. I promise you a big suprise....think '94, but in Blue.