The day drum corps died.

Well, let's see now: Anaheim Kingsmen, Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Oakland Crusaders, Seneca Optimists,

Freelancers, Sun Coast Sound, Kilties, Royal Crusaders, Northstar just a few of the corps that for one reason or another have folded !! <**> <**>

It's actually too bad that the board of directors of these corps have taken the instruments out the hands of the kids that marched in these corps!! :(

There has to be a better way to run a drum corps than to have a BoD that messes things up for the kids !! :blink:

Any multi millionaires out there that want to take a stab at it, Mr. COOK it's your turn AGAIN !!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs B)

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's see now: Anaheim Kingsmen, Bridgemen, 27th Lancers, Oakland Crusaders, Seneca Optimists,

Freelancers, Sun Coast Sound, Kilties, Royal Crusaders, Northstar just a few of the corps that for one reason or another have folded !! <**> <**>

It's actually too bad that the board of directors of these corps have taken the instruments out the hands of the kids that marched in these corps!! :(

There has to be a better way to run a drum corps than to have a BoD that messes things up for the kids !! :blink:

Any multi millionaires out there that want to take a stab at it, Mr. COOK it's your turn AGAIN !!!!! b**bs b**bs b**bs b**bs B)

Good lord.. :blink:

Those BOD's made very tough decisions in every case. When there is no $$, no kids, or huge problems, sometime the better choice would be NOT to field a corps or fold..

As a parent, would you want your kid to march in a corps where they wouldn't be properly fed, taught, and transported? <**>

Oh..but the instruments (falling apart for lack of repair) are in the hands of the kids.. that makes it all ok. <**>

Edited by tubamann

Those BOD's made very tough decisions in every case. When there is no $$, no kids, or huge problems, sometime the better choice would be NOT to field a corps or fold..

As a parent, would you want your kid to march in a corps where they wouldn't be properly fed, taught, and transported? <**>

Oh..but the instruments (falling apart for lack of repair) are in the hands of the kids.. that makes it all ok. <**>

I've been in corps with the instruments falling apart in your hands and that's NOT fun in the least!!!

The same goes for not being well fed!!

But it's up to the BoD to make sure that these kids have what it takes to do well.

If it comes right down to it they have no other choice but to fold then do it !!!!

It just sucks that's all !!

Edited by ODBC

All I can say is that in the case of Oakland, I think the last thing people with that corps wanted to do was fold. I know that when I marched, the people in charge of the corps were people with a history in Oakland, and Oakland was a huge part of their lives. It broke their hearts when Oakland continued to decline, and it seemed there was nothing they could do to stop it. But when your local membership and financial base is hemorrhaging--often due to circumstances beyond your control--there's not a whole lot you can do about it. I've never blamed the directors for Oakland's circumstances, so much as the direction in which competitive drum corps headed, making touring such a huge financial undertaking, one that so many corps simply couldn't afford to maintain in any realistic, sustainable way.

Not for nothing, but didn't they (Troopers) have a big fund raising program a couple years back to purchase a brand new set of 'G' horns? If so, how are the horns falling apart already? As a contributor, I would want to know if the donations, in fact, weren't used for the purpose stated. I haven't seen them in a while but I would like to think they were using new horns for the past season or two.

Unsafe transport, food for the kids, proper insurance, adult supervision etc. are major concerns and must be addressed accordingly. The instruments, I thought, were not an issue.

As far as AL/VFW/CYO et al pulling sponsorships and thus leading to corps demise, I would think that the DCI demands for more touring by the corps led to the corps realization that their sponsors were not bottomless wells of cash to be spent by just one youth group when they were also sponsoring other youth activities i.e. baseball, basketball, scouting, softball,and so on. The demands of DCI made it fairly impossible for the local corps to continue trying to be up-scale competitors regardless of the local talent and determination. Unfortunately local talent and determination does not equal hundreds of thousands of dollars. DCI is just trying to fulfill Hoppy's mantra - the demise of the many so the few can survive. JMHO.

Ray

As far as AL/VFW/CYO et al pulling sponsorships and thus leading to corps demise, I would think that the DCI demands for more touring by the corps led to the corps realization that their sponsors were not bottomless wells of cash to be spent by just one youth group when they were also sponsoring other youth activities i.e. baseball, basketball, scouting, softball,and so on. The demands of DCI made it fairly impossible for the local corps to continue trying to be up-scale competitors regardless of the local talent and determination. Unfortunately local talent and determination does not equal hundreds of thousands of dollars. DCI is just trying to fulfill Hoppy's mantra - the demise of the many so the few can survive. JMHO.

Ray

IMO...

No, it was not DCI that caused the pullout. Most corps around the country had little if any contact with DCI in the 70's. The VFW/AL membership post-WWII and Korea was aging by the 70's, and their kids no longer were of junior age. As the post memberships shrank it became tougher and tougher to fund the activities...esp when their kids were no longer involved. CYO and PAL groups, esp in the inner city, had less and less "pull", as the effects of the 60's caused many to turn away from the "establishment". You also had the huge inflation of the 70's causing costs to skyrocket.

DCI did what it had to do in order to survive at all.

Mike

Wow, this is still going?

Wow, this is still going?
See what ya started!!?? :P

I agree with the comment by deftguy that the end of drum corps began in the mid 90's when everyone had to have a "themed" show (even if most of us can't understand many of the themes). However, I loved Madison in 1995. But add all of the following signs of a slow death:

1. Kevlar drum heads

2. Drum lines that don't play rudimental

3. Dancing color guards

4. B-flat horns

5. Amplification

6. Excessive pit sizes

7. Props on the field (okay, I loved SCV's Phantom props)

8. Music selections that all sound alike and are boring to boot

9. Decline of solo horn parts and drum breaks

10. Kevlar drum heads (just to be sure you heard me)

Jon

MS alumni

You're right about kevlar and huge pits and boring music.Themes are o.k. BUT here's a tip to all of the designers.IF YOU HAVE TO EXPLAIN IT ...YOU DID IT WRONG. Start with Phantom Regiment handing out libretto's for Sparticus and it goes down hill from there.Hooray to the corps who didn't put the b-flat in boring .Although I do remember some shows that seemed 20 minutes long BEFORE all of these changes too. Just felt I should mention that