The day drum corps died.

I agree with the comment by deftguy that the end of drum corps began in the mid 90's when everyone had to have a "themed" show (even if most of us can't understand many of the themes). However, I loved Madison in 1995. But add all of the following signs of a slow death:

1. Kevlar drum heads

2. Drum lines that don't play rudimental

3. Dancing color guards

4. B-flat horns

5. Amplification

6. Excessive pit sizes

7. Props on the field (okay, I loved SCV's Phantom props)

8. Music selections that all sound alike and are boring to boot

9. Decline of solo horn parts and drum breaks

10. Kevlar drum heads (just to be sure you heard me)

Jon

MS alumni

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just would like someone who has time to research the amount of corps in the 70's, when did the number begin to decrease?  I say after 1976.  Did the addition of DCI sanctioned competitions drive corps to compete more out of state, thereby folding corps due to financial issues.  Corps that wanted to be competitive had to compete at certain shows in order to "be seen" by as many DCI judges as possible.

Whadya think?

right around 75/76.....because of the broadcast......membership was mostly local prior to that......the broadcast begins....kids from all over the country want to join a corps....BUT...only one of the corps they see on TV....that was the death of smaller, neighborhood corps for many areas...it became D1 or nothing to these kids.......and it also brought the music ed majors enmass to write and instruct, many with ZERO drum corps experience (not to mention judges with ZERO drum corps experience)..which began making corps sound and look more bandish........and, of corps, staff members who only had real world credentials instead of academic credentials suffered and were squeezed out

It's sad.....D3 corps start and end as often as Britney Spear's first marriage and it's because of the D1 or nothing crowd of potential members and staff who don't tell them, after they flunk their audition, that there are other corps out there where they can get just as good as experience as the D1s....in a lot of cases, even better than the D1s.

Edited by FrankBeMe

I'm sorry if my opinion is seen as that of an old fart who resists the changing of the times. It is not how I view it. Drum Corps. has changed beyond recognition for many of us that marched in the earlier years of the activity.

IMO in it's heart drum corps is still drum corps...and I started in 64.

Mike

I'm sorry if my opinion is seen as that of an old fart who resists the changing of the times. It is not how I view it. Drum Corps has changed beyond recognition for many of us that marched in the earlier years of the activity.

R.I.P. Drum & Bugle Corps.

IMO in it's heart drum corps is still drum corps...and I started in 64.

Mike

Yes Mike, maybe to YOU, drum corps is still drum corps.

However, to others, it's face is getting a cosmetic make over that others get can't recognize as drum corps.

It's STARTING to look more like marching band, something that many from the 70's would have killed you for saying back then !!!! b**bs :blush::blush::blush: :( <**>

Edited by ODBC

Maybe you do feel that deep in it's heart it's still drum corps but thousands and thousands don't. I know countless people that I used to MARCH with that haven't gone to a show since the late 80's because even then they said, "It's not Drum Corps anymore. I wanted to get back into it this summer after almost 2 decades of refusing to go to a show, now forget it! I have no recognition of what the activity is any longer. If marching bands are the new "style" forget it! It's dead in the water. You have to keep it recognizable to those who pay $ to see shows...you know the fan base...or you lose the fans. Let's see them change a major sport or symphony in such a way so many times and see if they keep the fans and the activity alive. Sorry folks but I too am now totally finished with what used to be the great joy in my life. Drum Corps. is dead.

R.I.P.

Edited by 70's Dutch Boy

Maybe you do feel that deep in it's heart it's still drum corps but thousands and thousands don't. I know countless people that I used to MARCH with that haven't gone to a show since the late 80's because even then they said, "It's not Drum Corps anymore. I wanted to get back into it this summer after almost 2 decades of refusing to go to a show, now forget it! I have no recognition of what thew activity is any longer. If marching bands are the new "style" forget it! It's dead in the water. You have to keep it recognizable to those who pay $ to see shows...you know the fan base...or you lose the fans. Let's see them change a major sport or symphony in such a way so mant times and see if they keep the fans and the activity alive. Sorry folks but I too am now totally finished with what used to be the great joy in my life. Drum Corps. is dead.

R.I.P.

Lrt's face it-When We marched, we did so because it WASN,T marching band. Like ODBC said, calling a drum corps a band was a sure way to start a fight!!

When I was in high school, our band director(who HATED drum corps,said it was for hacks)never understood why I refused to join the band even though I was a fairly proficient horn player. It used to #### him off to no end!

Now it seems as if the idea is to become more and more like band instead of priding ourselves on the fact that we were so UNLIKE band.

I may be old and bitter but I was a "member" not a "student". We had "instructors" on our staff,not "teachers". I played a "soprano" not a trumpet" ODBC played a "Contra" not a "tuba"(God that still makes me cringe every time I hear it!!)

And the G.E. captions actually gauged how your show went over with the crowd!!

Oh Well, I guess it's just something else that I have spent my whole life loving and being involved in that had to go and be destroyed!!

Hey Bill... remember those Slingerland tymps we got in 78?

I remember NOT even being able to partake in any of the high school's musical programs, because the music director told me directly that drum corps was not musical, like his precious bands, even though I had every percussionist in those bands going to bat for me and trying to pressure the band director into letting me play.

I also remember the Teen Tour Band's drum line watching us warm up at different parades ( a dirty word in my books, parades, that is) with their jaws sitting firmly on their chests and scratching their heads, thinking "Why can't we drum like that?"

The question is, is Drum Corps wanting to be more like marching bands, or is it the reverse? The lines are so blurred that it's hard to tell anymore. <**>

Maybe you do feel that deep in it's heart it's still drum corps but thousands and thousands don't. I know countless people that I used to MARCH with that haven't gone to a show since the late 80's because even then they said, "It's not Drum Corps anymore.

The interesting thing is that I've even heard many band people, who never marched corps but have been fans for years and years, say exactly the same thing.

Maybe you do feel that deep in it's heart it's still drum corps but thousands and thousands don't.

<snip>

Sorry folks but I too am now totally finished with what used to be the great joy in my life. Drum Corps. is dead.

R.I.P.

"Reports of the death of drum corps - once again - are greatly exaggerated."

Sorry to see you go - but have fun! Here's a Yahoo newsgroup where you'll no doubt feel more comfortable: Drumcorps of the '60s & '70s Yahoo Newsgroup

Also - no, never mind, it's simply not worth it.... :::blush::: :blush: :(