The day drum corps died.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I don't understand is that there ARE summer marching bands still, aren't there?

I remember in my day that there were drum corps, and there were bands, two SEPARATE activities that had their own competitions, their own "styles" and never the twain should meet!

I guess the times they really ARE a changin'! ($1 to Mr. Zimmerman)

I want to thank all of the people who marched in crum corps starting in the year 0 and ending today. It has been sweet marching with you, against you and watching you from the stands, but today, drum corps died.

Um...you are off by 34 years. The Day Drum Corps died was in 1971 with the Scouts, Caveis, and Cadets themed shows...there were t-shirts made to that effect...and editorials by Dick Blake in Drum Corps News.

I think WW in I&E is a great idea.

Mike

I'm sorry if my opinion is seen as that of an old fart who resists the changing of the times. It is not how I view it. Drum Corps. has changed beyond recognition for many of us that marched in the earlier years of the activity. No other activity or sport could go through so much change that it is unrecognizable to previous participants or fans and continue to maintain the fan base that it needs to survive. Drum Corps has been deceasing since the latter 70's but has now totally died. If you want to imitate marching bands so deeply why don't you go and join them and let Drum & Bugle Corps. be what they are/were. Two different and unique activities, good unto themselves and their fans!

R.I.P. Drum & Bugle Corps.

Edited by 70's Dutch Boy

I don't think DC died in the 70's, it died in the early 90's. That when shows started to look homogenized, guards danced more than spun, and EVERY show had to have a theme. I don't complain about the state of DCI much anymore, I just do go to shows. I like DCA, and that is what I support.

I just would like someone who has time to research the amount of corps in the 70's, when did the number begin to decrease? I say after 1976. Did the addition of DCI sanctioned competitions drive corps to compete more out of state, thereby folding corps due to financial issues. Corps that wanted to be competitive had to compete at certain shows in order to "be seen" by as many DCI judges as possible.

Whadya think?

Sigh...I feel so conflicted. On one hand, I'm glad these kids have something to do every Summer that keeps them safe and healthy. They work their butts off and are every bit "into" it as we were. Some shows are quite entertaing and I see a trend back to the old accessable music books. A good thing to be sure.

But, if I had to answer when I think "Drum Corps" died...It was when the Guards were taken out of "Uniforms" and put into "Costumes", along with too much dancing, emoting etc... They are really no longer intertwined with the rest of the Corps. They all just look the same (some cleaner than others though), But they have no identifying "style" anymore. Quite sad really.