The day drum corps died.

True- DCI did not do away with the Colors Presentation. But at the time when some corps began to get away from the patriotic flavor, while others decided to keep it... there was no reward in scoring for being "patriotic". Having an artistic show came into vogue. Part of the changing attitudes in society at the time.

I will say this. Many of the "theme" corps of the 70's...ala Kilties (Scottish), Troopers(American West),

Muchachos (Spanish), were eased aside by the tastes of the judging community. I overheard a DCI judge talking to another judge in 1977. To paraphrase the conversation- "I'm so tired of this 'John Wayne thing', year after year. Same thing with the Kilties. Why don't they just go to Scotland?" 2nd judge-"Yeah, I know what you mean."

For just a moment, I wanted to confront them both. Sadly, at the time, I didn't have the stones to do it. :laugh:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often thought that some sort of colour present would be interesting and possibly appropriate in a present day show. Given the pace of today's shows we old timers should be prepared for a fairly quick one though! Don't blink!

Cadets 2002 show.

True- DCI did not do away with the Colors Presentation. But at the time when some corps began to get away from the patriotic flavor, while others decided to keep it... there was no reward in scoring for being "patriotic". Having an artistic show came into vogue. Part of the changing attitudes in society at the time.

Why would there be a 'reward' just for doing something? The 'reward' is based on how well the show is performed and how effective that performance is. Cadets were 3rd in 2002 with a patriotic show, for instance.

I will say this. Many of the "theme" corps of the 70's...ala Kilties (Scottish), Troopers(American West),

Muchachos (Spanish), were eased aside by the tastes of the judging community. I overheard a DCI judge talking to another judge in 1977. To paraphrase the conversation- "I'm so tired of this 'John Wayne thing', year after year. Same thing with the Kilties. Why don't they just go to Scotland?" 2nd judge-"Yeah, I know what you mean."

For just a moment, I wanted to confront them both. Sadly, at the time, I didn't have the stones to do it. :peek:

Muchachos were not 'eased aside' that way...they got DQ'd in 75 and that effectively was that for them...they never really recovered. 21st in 76 at DCI prelims and 10th at DCI East in 77, with a 67, behind corps that would never have been a factor in prior years.

I also never heard that playing Scottish style music was the driving force behind the downfall of the Kilties...and the visual designer/color guard instructor for the band I arrange for/teach was a member in the mid/late 70's. Like many formerly great corps, they started to have membership issues.

As for the Troopers....just because you heard one or two judges say something like the above doesn't mean that DCI overall was punishing them for their western theme. They too started to have membership issues once memberships in div I corps became more of a nationwide thing...they just could not keep up, talent-wise.

For just a moment, I wanted to confront them both. Sadly, at the time, I didn't have the stones to do it. :peek:

"Tired of John Wayne":

Why am I not surprised. US colors "Exit stage right".

Had nothing to do with "Art".

Elphaba

As for the Troopers....just because you heard one or two judges say something like the above doesn't mean that DCI overall was punishing them for their western theme. They too started to have membership issues once memberships in div I corps became more of a nationwide thing...they just could not keep up, talent-wise.

I think this was a couple of judges' inappropriate comments. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: I fixed the quote....missing the first half of the tag...Mike

Mike,

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Yes, I know all about the Muchachos demise. Been doin' this activity for a long time. And maybe those two judges did not ultimately lead to any corps' downfall.

The point is, how completely inappropriate the comments were, and did that feeling pervade other DCI judges of the time?

Mike,

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Yes, I know all about the Muchachos demise. Been doin' this activity for a long time. And maybe those two judges did not ultimately lead to any corps' downfall.

The point is, how completely inappropriate the comments were, and did that feeling pervade other DCI judges of the time?

We DO agree on those type of comments being 100% inappropriate. Did others thik the same? I guess it's "who knows".

I don't think that has anything to do with why DCI was formed ... as far as I understand what happened, it was organized by a relatively small group of highly competitive corps in order to further their own interests.

Orpheus, from what era of drum corps do you come. My knee jerk reaction was to become very upset at your responce, but I may have put my foot in it without knowing from where your time frame is.

I'm 32 years old and marched in an A-60 corps in the early 90s. I didn't mean anything particularly negative (or positive) by what I said, I was just stating what I understand to be a fact. Thirteen highly competitive corps with powerful directors got together (in the aftermath of "The Combine" and all that) and formed a new independent organization because they were tired of how the veterans groups, etc., were running things. Am I wrong? Their primary intention was to help themselves, not "the smaller corps." What's there to be upset about?

Edited by Orpheus

Orpheus, from what era of drum corps do you come. My knee jerk reaction was to become very upset at your responce, but I may have put my foot in it without knowing from where your time frame is.

I'm 31 years old and marched in an A-60 corps in the early 90s. I didn't mean anything particularly negative or positive by my statement, I was just stating what I understand to be a fact. Thirteen highly competitive corps with powerful directors got together (in the aftermath of "The Combine" and all that) and formed a new independent organization because they were tired of how the veterans groups, etc., were running things. Am I wrong? Their primary intention was to help themselves, not "the smaller corps." What's there to be upset about?

Actually, the stated purpose at the time was to further the goals of all corps, not just the original 13 founding corps. Edited by Bob Brady