Cadets - 98.125

Wow, some of us like the Cadets this year and some of us do not.

and the point of this topic is to what?

Is it time to cut the Cadets down again? Or is it time to cry to DCI about how we need more entertainment and the Cadets are messing it up?

I think it's important to cry, especially here. It does a lot of good.

Go Cadets!! You have an authentic, innovative, creative, and musical monster of a show, and I can't get enough of it. Take it home!!!

Jonathan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, allow me to honestly apologize to anyone who I offended my stating an idea or an opinion. I didn't realize that an opinion gave everyone else permission to flip out on me rather than my opinion.

Much like anyone here, I have a right to state an opinion. Understand clearly what this statement means: My opinion (mine), your opinion, and "positive" reviews don't mean a darn thing to anyone when it comes down to it. Do you understand that our opinions do not matter in the real world...and they shouldn't either. This is a debate/discussion forum, not a set of commandment makers for drum corps. We don't matter in the long run. You know what? I'm glad we could discuss this topic. I'm also glad that winning doesn't matter, shouldn't matter, and won't matter to a real performer, and won't matter for a good teacher focused on making his or her ensemble perform better and focused on creating musical independence: the goal of music education.

I say this with NO sarcasm...you are probably more than right...the championship has already been decided. That part over....but the performances aren't over. And I just get the impression that you believe that since the Championship has "been decided" that nothing else really matters too much. You know, I hope that everyone has the best show possible so they can go home and have something to say for it. Actually, I am quite happy for the kids marching in Cadets....as I am for everyone. Alot of people say that, but it's just a cliche' thing to say rather than to actually mean. Are the Cadets the Cleanest Drum Corps out there right now? #### right they are. Should they be rewarded for it? OF COURSE. GE is made up of intellectual and emotional effects the show provides. Do I, in my opinion like the show? On an intellectual side of GE, yes i do....on the Emotional side of GE? Not really...it doesn't move me on many levels. But that's my opinion...and really my opinion is just another opinion, even if I post it on a public forum, it's just an opinion, and not the end all of the world. So my opinion doesn't matter, it's just a statement.

And all I have to say is the term "Flame" is just ridiculous. It's another buzz word that all of the people that stay on this forum 24/7, 365 days a year use. I come around this forum about 3 weeks out of the year, so maybe it's not "my digital turf" that won't even matter when I'm dead however many years from now. It's the internet people, not real life. If we are going to "flame" each other, then it's apparant that we are not adults, which goes to show you how completely immature our politicians are who bicker who issues like little babies instead of fixing them. So if I flamed anyone, or offended anyone, I'm honestly sorry. Because I'd like to think i'm more mature than to spend everyday of the year bickering over drum corps and getting upset because someone I don't want to win the championship will....didn't mean to sound like a little kid. I hope everyone accepts my apology or alas I would never be able to move on with my life of making my quota of 150 posts a day on drumcorpsplanet.com I know that may sound sarcastic on some levels, but I really don't wnat to sound like a little baby with all of this "flame" garbage because life is too short for that.

I have to agree with many people on here that the Cadets show is a masterpiece of thought (even though the transitions in and out of the drum speak make no sense with flow). However, I also agree that if that's what ESPN2 fans see that drum corps is....I can hardly believe the common Joe will understand it as much as Phantom, Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, or Madison to say the least.

So with all the respect I can give to a group of kids busting their ##### all summer to make a show that clean, congrats to the Cadets....the 2005 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP drum corps.

So since we know who's going to win, remember that the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS show hasn't freaking happened yet, maybe we can all sit back and hope the best for everyone....which means they all leave the summer with the best show of the season....you know a good performance, the thing that actually matters when you watch the expensive DVD 10 years from now while the gold, silver, and bronze rest on a shelf somewhere....a good performance. That is all that matters to a fan of drum corps.

I'm so glad we could have this discussion and I feel like I honestly hurt people so I'm sorry. Wish the best for everyone. Hope everyone has a great show. Congrats to the Cadets, World Champions from the beginning. Good thing everyone decided to stick it out and perform for the fans...even though you won't win.

For the record, I saw it live and reviewed it and it was not "positively reviewed" by everyone who saw it live this year.  I'd say it was pretty evenly split on both sides.

No doubt the kids work very hard.. no doubt they are extremely talented.. but they were given a vehicle that is lacking.. otherwise they would have been uncatchable all season.  I say this with confidence as it's evidenced (IMO) by the golf claps at the end both live and in the Cinecast (even with an entire row of Cadets alumni in member jackets sitting behind me).

I'm pleased that you're so excited for your corps.. but I wonder if there is a change tonight, will you be so excited to come here and eat a little crow?  And before you say it, YES I've been one of those Cavalier fans who has come back here and eaten crow when my corps didn't win.

Stef

Its not gonna happen, Stef :)

I know you are a big Cavies fan. Please explain to me where The Cadets show is lacking and The Cavies have a championship show?

Not only that, I remember the small amounts of applause The Cavies received often in 2002, and it had nothing to do with how lacking the show was, right? Just as with this show, there was/is a lot to see and take in. Its not a show you get from the first moment.

Anyway, I don't have time to go back and read every review of The Cadets this summer (Who does?). Maybe you read more reviews than I did. More often than not for me, the show was reviewed positively. Funny though that much of that time the show was not the front runner. Now that it is going to win, the trash parade comes out in full force. Typical.

No biggie. . .to be expected.

If ANY OTHER corps played the show the Cadets played this yr, it would have been widely accepted as the best show ever. Since so many ppl have hangups with the Cadets, it wasn't quite so widely welcomed. WHY? <**>

Cheers, :worthy:

Sean

w/Stp:

If ANY OTHER corps played the show the Cadets played this yr, it would have been widely accepted as the best show ever. 

Sean

w/Stp:

Wrong.

Narration and amplification, not to mention the entertainment factor are still issues, regardless of the corps. Plenty of threads attest to this, and mention multiple corps.

Just as some people look for things to pick apart about the Cadets, so too, do some look for Qiuxotic windmills to fight for them.

If ANY OTHER corps played the show the Cadets played this yr, it would have been widely accepted as the best show ever.  Since so many ppl have hangups with the Cadets, it wasn't quite so widely welcomed.  WHY?  <**>

Sean

w/Stp:

Ugh...I hate to get in the middle of this because some people (like you, and TxMyStreaux, and plenty of others) feel that I hate everything Cadets, but...

I have to call you on this statement.

Have you not seen the kind of stuff written about Blue Devils' show this year, or even about Seattle's show? If Phantom Regiment were doing this show, I'm pretty darn sure you would see the same type of response to it...confusion and a general dislike of the concept, not necessarily of the playing.

I haven't seen Cadets live since Orlando, and my only recent exposure to them was through the cinecast and APDs. I think they perform their program exceedingly well. I also feel that according to the way the sheets are set up, the Cadets are the obvious and deserving champions of the 2005 DCI season. But I still can't get into their show. I could barely get into the Cavaliers' show. to be honest with you (and if it makes me a homer, so be it), the only shows that I really got into this year were Regiment's, Madison's, Bluecoats, Glassmen, and Colts.

That's not an offense to all those other corps, yet...plenty of people will see that as a slight against the Cadets.

Come on guys...it's time to stop being so defensive. People don't get after the Cadets because of success, as is so often claimed: If they did, they would have better targets in the Devils (more rings) or the Cavaliers (more rings lately). People don't get on the Cadets because of their show concepts, even...there are some people who get on the Cadets simply because of Hopkins, but those people are not very bright and don't really get it.

I think that, most of all, people get on the Cadets because their fans can't stand any bit of criticism. Look on DCP on any regular day and you will find at least 5 posts critical of EVERY corps out there. Some Cadets fans get over-emotional in defending their corps...I'm not saying that Regiment, Cavaliers, etc don't have those kinds of fans too....but there is a certain...hmm....rabidity in the defense of the Cadets that we have seen from some.

George Dixon is to be commended. I am pretty sure that he stepped back and saw that it was truth...and was able to even have a few dissenting thoughts about this year's show. I don't consider George a part of that celebrated "Borg" anymore. I think he is able to see that the Cadets are a phenomenal corps...but like every other corps, they too have their flaws.

I don't think I have ever seen a post that is critical of the Cadets from either you or TxMyStreaux or Irmo or DCIFanofAllDivisions or countless others that I lump into the Borg category. Nor do I see a post critical of the Cadets in which someone doesn't come in guns blazing.

Guys...relax. Only an idiot would HATE the Cadets. Some of us have them to thank for getting us into drum corps. Some people slam on GH and therefore dislike anything the Cadets do, but...hey, those people are unimportant.

Enjoy your championship. It was EARNED. The kids performed their arses off, and for that I congratulate them. Stop throwing gas on the fire and just ignore people who try to rile you guys up.

(You could start with me :P )

I know you are a big Cavies fan.  Please explain to me where The Cadets show is lacking and The Cavies have a championship show?

<snip>

No biggie. . .to be expected.

I'd actually like it quite a lot for you to go and find where I ever said that Cavaliers have the "championship" show over anyone else. I'm more than a little superstitious (being a Cubs fan, we learn that early) and tend not to make statements like that. In fact, I clearly recall responding on one of the cinecast review threads that I was sitting there saying "yeah, Cadets are going to win tonight" -- but being surprised over the spreads... so just as I don't lump you in with what I think is "expected" of "big Cadets fans", I'd really appreciate not being lumped in with what you think is "expected" of "big Cavalier fans." I'm anything but typical.. I'd think you would know that of me by now.

Cadets show is lacking in wide audience appeal. That's just the fact. Did they perform the heck out of it? YES. Did they do things on the field from a performance level that was above the level of every other corps out there? YES. Did the show universally appeal to new and old drum corps fans? RESOUNDINGLY, NO. THATS why that show is lacking. It had everything a hardline, seasoned drum corps fan looks for and appreciates.. but it does NOT have universal appeal and because of that, the show is LACKING.

YOU like it and appreciate it. Plenty of seasoned drum corps fans like and appreciate it.. plenty MORE appreciate it for the level of excellence in execution alone.. but sorry.. that's not going to get joe-blow-off-the-street to leap up and say HEY THAT IS REALLY COOL!!! and run out and join or support DCI or his local drum corps..

OPINION ALERT! HERE IT COMES:

Someone else said it well, this show was well designed to the SHEETS.. to meet the criteria of the sheets.. and yes, that's what winning is about.. but it is a shame that the ONE SHOW from among so many that have some level of universal appeal, is the one that wins. I think it's great for the Cadets that they won.. I will never take credit away from those kids and what they did last night and all this summer.. but I am a little sad that this obscure and disengaging show is the one that will "represent" DCI the year we finally get into the mainstream.

You can't feed the masses caviar if they've never had it. It's still fish eggs to the vast majority of people and it still tastes salty and gross. It's an acquired taste. You have to offer steak and potatoes first and ease them into caviar.

That's all I'm saying.

who cares?

what anyone thinks "should" have happened is no longer relevant.

cadets played the game and came out on top.

cavaliers played the game and came out second.

if you want to take issue with the kind of show the cadets did winning dci, take issue with dci, because cadets 2005 is clearly what they are rewarding at this point. you can't fault the cadets for writing the show to the sheets, can you?

enjoy the dvd's and think of all the kids who get to sleep in their own beds tonight. i guarantee they don't much care about who won.

sam