Chuck is the King!

I believe D'Angelo judged finals in '89 and dumped Regiment that night.  If I remember correctly it was discovered that if you replaced his score from finals with the semis score from the same subcaption Regiment would have had a 99.1 at '89 finals.  I believe he was banned from even attending finals in '90.  It appears there are some historical problems with percussion judges during DCI week.

What would've been the point of banning him from going to Buffalo the next year?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The difference here, though, is that there are *2* percussion judges and Bluecoats had the biggest spread between the scores: 1.6 points.  Thats big.  Too big.  And yes, I do find it hard to believe that a drumline that was placing 1st not 2 weeks ago could somehow drop to 9th even when they had a stellar show.

agreed, and it's especially odd for the downstairs number to be the lower number by that much of a margin. if things on the field aren't hitting, then no way should the upstairs number be that high.

Chuck King really IS an idiot.

I was at both shows, and Bluecoats was one of the top 3 percussion secions on the field. His score for Crown was entirely too high, and this is coming from a veteran of the percussion section there.

Check out the scores from 1999. He dropped us (Crown percussion) an entire point between semis and finals, costing us placement as well. Yes, performances do change, but not that drastically, and the recordings can be compared if you don't believe me.

In 1994 Chuck gave our line (Freelancers) the same score at Quarterfinals that he had given us about 2 months earlier in California on first tour. So our score dropped over a point going into quarters and then amazingly the next night we were over a point better.

Ralph Hardimon (he taught us that year with Mike French and Shawn Glyde) was not a happy camper with Chuck that evening B)

By the same token when I was marching Black Gold Chuck would often pop us a number if he truly felt like we were better than some of the bigger boys.

Edited by trwiggin

• 3 weeks later...

As a member of a line that Mr. King judged this year...I believe he is one of DCI's better judges and our staff agrees. He scored us very lowly on nights that we knew we deserved it! He calls what he sees and is an unbiased observer in my opinion. Would you rather have a judge who just looks at last night's score and bumps them a tenth or two up or down? We all know that happens all too often, and this bashing of Mr. King needs to stop. He is one of DCI's better judges (ask the players and staff members, they know) and he calls it as he sees it. Bluecoats probably had an off night, and Chuck was not going to let it slide just because they were scoring higher the nights leading up to semis.

If we can't bash other poeple, why let this bashing of a very accomplished and well respected (and deserving) judge go by unnoticed.

As a member of a line that Mr. King judged this year...I believe he is one of DCI's better judges and our staff agrees.  He scored us very lowly on nights that we knew we deserved it!  He calls what he sees and is an unbiased observer in my opinion.  Would you rather have a judge who just looks at last night's score and bumps them a tenth or two up or down?  We all know that happens all too often, and this bashing of Mr. King needs to stop.  He is one of DCI's better judges (ask the players and staff members, they know) and he calls it as he sees it.  Bluecoats probably had an off night, and Chuck was not going to let it slide just because they were scoring higher the nights leading up to semis.

If we can't bash other poeple, why let this bashing of a very accomplished and well respected (and deserving) judge go by unnoticed.

A) sounds like you are in the minority.

B ) Sounds like this isnt an isolated incident.

~G~

Well i can and will say something.

When i watched the coats on semi's night I heard some serious problems coming out of the pit during the miced Box split part. And if I heard that I know the judge who was sitting about 15 seats from me heard it too. Also since I wasn't focusing just on the pit and percussion ensemble I probably missed other issues.

And yes there are 2 percussion judges but the #1 judge stays primarialy on the field and judges mostly battery execution when there is a second judge in place. So I actually wasn't all that surprised by the drop in the perc 2 judges score. Although I thought the size of the drop may have been a bit larger than needed but I'm not a judge and like I said didn't focus solely on perc ensemble so there may have been other issues.

As a member of a line that Mr. King judged this year...I believe he is one of DCI's better judges and our staff agrees.  He scored us very lowly on nights that we knew we deserved it!  He calls what he sees and is an unbiased observer in my opinion.  Would you rather have a judge who just looks at last night's score and bumps them a tenth or two up or down?  We all know that happens all too often, and this bashing of Mr. King needs to stop.  He is one of DCI's better judges (ask the players and staff members, they know) and he calls it as he sees it.  Bluecoats probably had an off night, and Chuck was not going to let it slide just because they were scoring higher the nights leading up to semis.

Not getting into the argument at all, scores aren't my deal. But as far as I'm concerned, Semi's was definately not an "off-night". One of the best, if not THE best run all season if you ask me, percussion-wise. Good times.

-Eric

Bluecoats Snare '04-'05