Cabs Alumni at Semifinals

Color me confused.  You slam this guy for smack-talking the Cabs Alumni and then you prove your point by slamming the DCA competitive corps?  :worthy:

Kelli:

I will not back down on most of my comments but will make some adjustments to my heated response to TinyTim, or was it Tenor Tim, whatever. I admit I made some generalizations and will adjust them since I have cooled down.

In DCI, there are corps that are attempting to change the Hopkins mold and give the fans what they want..entertainment. Madison Scouts were the first and now it appears The Cavaliers and Crossmen have followed as well as some other corps.

In DCA, the Renegades have entertained me both times they were at Scranton and I have to say they are probably my favorite DCA corps. Last year, the Bushwackers had a nice show and was entertaining than shows in their past. Brigadiers and Empire have done the same recently. Of course I am partial to the Caballeros as well. I have not been to any shows this year.

My measurement of entertainment is to bring a crowd off it's feet. I can care less about what any judge says. How many DCI or DCA corps can you actually say do that?

I marched with the Caballeros for five years and won three DCA championships. I think winning the crowd over is more rewarding than winning the show but of course it's nice to do both because then you know your corps is the true winner.

I did not mean to disrespect anyone and my response was focused on TenorTim.

Edited by cabalumsw

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so strange for me to see how sensitive drum corps folks can be.  And how, often times, we assume that the OTHER person in the discussion is not educated about corpsdom.  Think about it.  Would ANYONE on this site be here unless they knew SOMETHING about drum and bugle corps?

It's a small community.  Alienate?  No.  Educate! Or, better yet...conversate (my word, hope you like it!)

The CABS alumni corps is like a classic car.  Some folks love the classic 1973 Dodge Challenger and some prefer a new BMW.  Both will get you there in a certain style. And both can be appreciated for what they are.

One is not necessarily "better" than the other and to have a debate about which is "better" misses the point.

Royalaires Alumni (my fave!), Cabs Alumni, Erie Thunderbirds, etc. are all part of the DCA Alumni Corps Circuit that showcases at DCA every year.  It's a big enough deal that the corps have their own separate event...separate admission is charged and some folks show up at DCA just to see the alumni outfits.  That's good stuff!  I mean, heaven forbid we reach out to the old-timers who were (and STILL ARE) part of our activity and give them a product they are willing to pay admission to see.

DCA goes even further with the Mini-Corps.  What's that?  More than anything, it's standstill groups of 15-30 members who have just as much enthusiasm, but not the membership to compete with the big dogs.  But DCA gives 'em a format and a chance to compete.  None of 'em suck.  Most of 'em are hardcorps veterans who can throw down good solos and pack an entertainment punch.  Kind of like FutureCorps.

Last point.  The DCA prelims and Finals provide a great entertainment value.  The top ticket price is $40 and fans get to see good drum corps, especially the top 6, but it extends through the top 12.  Empire, Brigadiers, Minnesota Brass, Renegades, Buccaneers, Bushwackers, Cabs...all these corps have great packages and all of 'em have staffs and members that have competed in DCI so they know "good drum corps." 

DCA will never be DCI.  To compare them is ludicrous.  DCI will win the argument every time.  But is that the point?

how will DCI win? in terms of quality? ok i can buy that. In terms of fan entertainment? that has been disputed for years

how will DCI win? in terms of quality? ok i can buy that. In terms of fan entertainment? that has been disputed for years

Jeff:

I fully agree with you regarding the quality aspect in both DCA and DCI. The kids can play.

In the 70s, in my day of marching with DCA, every corps received a rocking response from the crowd. Whether it was Hawthorne, Yankee Rebels, Skyliners, Hurricanes, Bucs, Sunrisers, Rochester Crusaders, or Les Diplomates, the crowd response was overwheming.

Why do we not see that anymore? It's not that we are hung up in the past but rather something is lacking and the crowd shows it by sitting on their hands.

we're seeing it make a comeback at DCA, this I know. and, no matter what show I go to, alumni corps get the best repsonse.

that to me shows an answer some need to look at and study. why is it the "old farts playing rat rat rat" get the loudest response?( not just cabs, but most alumni corps)

Most of you people completely missed my point.

Please go back and re-read my post. Just because I didn't like them doesn't mean others didn't. As I said, I have my opinion others have theirs.

My point was this: because DCA is not as popular as DCI (and, I'm not suggesting it should be but it can be more than what it is today), when a non-informed person sees an Alumni corps they immediately think it's a competing Senior corps within the DCA circuit. This is a fact based on the couple of comments I heard leaving the stadium. They don't realize that todays' DCA corps put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears and put out great products that most people enjoy. It's far more than what the Cabs Alumni are all about.

Now move on with your lives.....

Edited by TenorTim

It's so strange for me to see how sensitive drum corps folks can be.  And how, often times, we assume that the OTHER person in the discussion is not educated about corpsdom.  Think about it.  Would ANYONE on this site be here unless they knew SOMETHING about drum and bugle corps?

It's a small community.  Alienate?  No.  Educate! Or, better yet...conversate (my word, hope you like it!)

The CABS alumni corps is like a classic car.  Some folks love the classic 1973 Dodge Challenger and some prefer a new BMW.  Both will get you there in a certain style. And both can be appreciated for what they are.

One is not necessarily "better" than the other and to have a debate about which is "better" misses the point.

Royalaires Alumni (my fave!), Cabs Alumni, Erie Thunderbirds, etc. are all part of the DCA Alumni Corps Circuit that showcases at DCA every year.  It's a big enough deal that the corps have their own separate event...separate admission is charged and some folks show up at DCA just to see the alumni outfits.  That's good stuff!  I mean, heaven forbid we reach out to the old-timers who were (and STILL ARE) part of our activity and give them a product they are willing to pay admission to see.

DCA goes even further with the Mini-Corps.  What's that?  More than anything, it's standstill groups of 15-30 members who have just as much enthusiasm, but not the membership to compete with the big dogs.  But DCA gives 'em a format and a chance to compete.  None of 'em suck.  Most of 'em are hardcorps veterans who can throw down good solos and pack an entertainment punch.  Kind of like FutureCorps.

Last point.  The DCA prelims and Finals provide a great entertainment value.  The top ticket price is $40 and fans get to see good drum corps, especially the top 6, but it extends through the top 12.  Empire, Brigadiers, Minnesota Brass, Renegades, Buccaneers, Bushwackers, Cabs...all these corps have great packages and all of 'em have staffs and members that have competed in DCI so they know "good drum corps." 

DCA will never be DCI.  To compare them is ludicrous.  DCI will win the argument every time.  But is that the point?

I've attended both DCA and DCI Championships over the last 3 years. I enjoy elements of both. It's not all good at both circuits. And it's not all bad either. Mostly, they each bring their own brand of Drum Corps entertainment to the fans. In my opinion, neither is more superior to the other in the entertainment quotient. I find them equally entertaining when I look at the complete offerings across the board between DCA and DCI. But that's just my opinion here too.

Please go back and re-read my post.  Just because I didn't like them doesn't mean others didn't.  As I said, I have my opinion others have theirs.

My point was this:  because DCA is not as popular as DCI (and, I'm not suggesting it should be but it can be more than what it is today), when a non-informed person sees an Alumni corps they immediately think it's a competing Senior corps within the DCA circuit.  This is a fact based on the couple of comments I heard leaving the stadium.  They don't realize that todays' DCA corps put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears and put out great products that most people enjoy.  It's far more than what the Cabs Alumni are all about.

If I encountered 3 or 4 people in 2 groups "leaving the stadium "and I concluded from my eavesdropping that they seemed to be confused, I wouldn't sweat the confusion. You could have lined up 100 people beside you leaving that stadium and asked them to explain the 2005 DCI winners show theme. You'd have gotton 25 different responses, none of them alike, and the remaining 75 still numb with confusion on the theme and your question. My suggestion would have been for you to simply put aside what you heard when you left for the parking lot regarding any confusion over the Cabs Alumni and what they represent. Trust me: The Cabs Alumni don't confuse too many folks either in the stands or leaving the stadium about what they are all about. There may be much confusion in some quarters of the Drum Corps activity over a drum Corps identity, drum corps scoring, the state of the drum Corps movement in general,and what not,. but the Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps is not the source of much confusion among too many people. You'd have been better off simply leaving the stadium and moving on with your life instead of coming to a website with your frustrations on a Corps that rarely generates much confusion with people.

Edited by Lieut. General Effect

Please go back and re-read my post.  Just because I didn't like them doesn't mean others didn't.  As I said, I have my opinion others have theirs.

My point was this:  because DCA is not as popular as DCI (and, I'm not suggesting it should be but it can be more than what it is today), when a non-informed person sees an Alumni corps they immediately think it's a competing Senior corps within the DCA circuit.  This is a fact based on the couple of comments I heard leaving the stadium.  They don't realize that todays' DCA corps put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears and put out great products that most people enjoy.  It's far more than what the Cabs Alumni are all about.

Oh, I see, because we all missed the point, your comments weren't really meant to upset anyone, they were meant to inform. Umm, interesting. I still read what you said as being that since you don't like the Cabs, how did you say it, "rat rat rat" poor quality music, you were concerned that too many of the people who you heard leaving the stadium were too confused to realize that the corps was the Hawthorne Caballeros ALUMNI Corps, and not a competing DCA Corps. I think most people understood the difference, and if there were a few who didn't, BFD. As another poster suggested, maybe it would have been better if you really didn't care whether people thought that the Cabs Alumni corps was a competing DCA Corps, or just an organization that enjoys entertaining an audience. As I said in an earlier response, please don't subject yourself to OUR brand of entertainment again. We certainly don't need your OBSERVATIONS. And with regard to your comment about DCA not being as popular as DCI, relative to the number of particpants in each activity, I would say that DCA is doing just fine. Oh, and now I feel comfortable about moving on with my "rat rat rat" life.

Mike

Edited by mjpudster

I re-read also and actually agreed with some of the things you wrote. But personally my biggest gripe is the "quality music" line when referring to the Cabs Latin music. Not everyone in the '70s was a 100% fan of the Cabs but I never heard anyone accuse them of playing "low quality" music.

And I can dig DCI only folks confusing Alumnis with a competeing corps. Hopefully DCI will continue to invite Senior or Alumni groups to perform so these folks can become more informed. My Alumni corps has been doing a standstill at same show where Cadets and Crossmen do a pre-season exhibition. The fans who are repeat attendees at that show know what to expect from all three corps and seem to appreciate what all three do.

PS - If anyone thinks getting Alumnis and competeing corps confused is bad look at my ugly mug in my avatar. At least once a year I hear people at parades ask "What High School does your group belong to?"

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I was there in the Club level, but after listening to the first few notes, I left like the other thousands of people did. Sorry, but I couldn't listen to that after semi's, especially after the Cadets. Those who stayed, seemed to be enjoying them. Some of you don't like the Cadets and some people like TenorTom don't like the Cabs alumni. To each their own.

Edited by BreakInRanks