Were the Judges smoking crack?!?

First off- yeah, I can buy that Cadets deserved to win. I don't think that the Cavaliers had the horses to pull off another victory this year.

And yeah, I can see a 99.15 I suppose. A score is just a score.

HOWEVER- what I don't buy is the spread between the top 5 corps. There's no way that the Cadets were 1.5 points better than the Cavaliers. Maybe half that.

And Phantom was tearing the house down- should have been right on the Cavalier's heels.

And I think Bluecoats should have been crawling up the Devils' behinds.

Seriously- can anyone (unbiased) tell me why the point spread at the top was so huge? Did the Cadets actually manage to make the audience NOT 'golf clap' their show during finals?

GE scores are really dubious anymore. Like the Scouts in 95-- they tore the stadium down with that show; I've never heard a crowd go that bonkers before! And they got 4th.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K....

Ain't the first time they judges have gotten it wrong. :sshh:

Well...if you agree with the placements...then the spreads really don't matter do they? What is the difference...if a baseball teams wins 7-1 or 2-1, they still win. At finals, all that matters is the judges get the placements correct.

It appears that they accomplished that so lets all be happy ok?

Peace!

Let the flames begin!

LOL, saw the subject line, and that's the first thought that came to mind. It's Sunday morning, and already the deconstruction has begun!

Ain't the first time they judges have gotten it wrong.  :sshh:

"Wrong":

And it won't be the last.......

Elphaba

I highly doubt a GE judge's job is to watching a show, then stand up and look around the crowd and check their decibel level reader to determine the score.

The Green Shirts Of Power have years of experience and will always be questioned...but doing so will not change much.

Kinda like the phrase I was tought in my Music Ed classes...."You will be able to please many, but don't get hung up on trying to please everyone".

Good points. I don't know about the spreads. I wasn't there and I wasn't judging, so I can't say who deserved what and why. Remember a couple of things:

1. Whether or not the Cadets were getting golf claps or not has very little to do with their score. They performed an amazing show that appealed to fewer people than say Phantom and Cavaliers or Bluecoats. This doesn't make it a bad show, and we shouldn't be judging the quality of a show based soley on how the audience feels. They are there to enjoy, not judge. They will have their opinions, and we all offer them on this forum, but the judges must look for all the details, not just whether every fan applauded, or how they applauded.

2. It doesn't take much to see a spread increase between a corps or two. Case in point, say corps A is tied with corps B in quarter finals. Now keep in mind you have 3 main captions (GE, Visual, and Music), 8 sub-captions, and 18 sub-sub-captions. If on semifinals night the judge in each caption decided to award corps A a tenth of a point more than corps B, you are looking at a 1.8 spread. Just the night before these corps were tied, and now corps A has just barely topped corps B by one tenth in each sub-sub-caption. Well, the spread now appears to be large, even though it really isn't. On finals night, corps A falls back to even with corps B in 10 of those sub-sub-captions, loses two by a tenth, and wins the others by a tenth. Corps A wins, but barely by .4. This is an example of how fast things can change in judging.

Jonathan