Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're agreeing with the IDEA that the Phantom and Cavies had failed to achieve this year?  Apparantly you are if you didn't shoot it down.  I merely asked if you agreed with  the idea.  I did not say that I believed the idea.  As a matter of fact, I don't.  I think Cavies and especially Phantom Regiment should consider this year a terrific success, and I'm sure that if you asked Pat Seidling or Jeff Fiedler they'd concur humbly.

Achieve what? I'm not sure where THIS is coming from. You keep moving the target. :rock:

What does that link have to do with anything? Would not any other corps capitalize on this situation as well?

Would not any other corps capitalize on this situation as well?

The point was not about capitalizm, it was that the wheels were already turning for the merchandice before they were actually declared the champions. I'd say they were confident that they would win the show and were willing to bet money on it.

I understand what Hopkins meant by the statement and I don't have a problem with it. But let's just say that from this link , it does not appear that there was a major issue with confidence.

He never said there was a major problem with their confidence as you seem to imply. This is like the game "telephone" as the pages increase the facts decrease. sheesh. :P

“I noticed these kids got extremely confident as we started to place better...

Major issue is probably not the best phrase to use, but the rest of Hopkins quote was "It’s hard to be confident when you’re coming in eighth, you know?"

Reading his blog the last 2 summers, I have seen him write of tough times with confidence and scores and placements having a part in that.

-sheesh

...but the rest of Hopkins quote was "It’s hard to be confident when you’re coming in eighth, you know?"

Exactly!!

I admit, I didn't take note of every single score this year, but I didn't see them even close to 8th hence the reason I make mention of you posting the link. It made no sense to me. sorry. :)

No need to be sorry. The reason was that they were confident in thier success and had already developed merchandice before they officially got the title. After getting the scores they were getting recently, they were apparently willing to invest in the new products early. Now last year would have been a different story, I am sure.

So when someone (regardless of who it is or who they represent) makes a comment about how it would difficult to be confident in 8th place, it offends me and I'm sure it offends anyone else who doesn't or didn't do drum corps with winning being the #1 goal! 

Shooting off of that...(and trying to add some happiness to this thread)...How confident did SCV look at finals?

From what I hear, they were as SCV as SCV can be.