Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be offended by his statement...he was just giving an example--that seems pretty obvious.

But, I do think there is a lot of truth to what he's saying. When the judges place a corps group 1st, that group starts to believe they deserve first. But, the interesting thing is that everyone else starts to think that the group deserves first too. If Cadets had scored 6th instead of first, most of the people saying they deserved to win would be saying they deserved 6th.

There is a huge "lost sheep following the herd" mentality in the activity today.

Not trying to flame, but it is what I truly believe.

I actually think a lot of people had less of a problem with Cadets when they were in 2nd. The show seemed to get hated by more after it started winning.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

right idea, tho the words may have not come out how he wanted them to. he has a habit of that.

However, I'd love to hear from directors outside the top 2 on how successful the season was for a change.

Nevertheless, regardless of his comments...an issue:

The YEA! program is at an odd crossroads...one program having one a title; the other, lower than they've been in almost two decades.

How does this get resolved? Mass staff changes for the Crossmen? A more "hands on" role for George?

After all, he did march Crossmen to begin with.

Thougts? :)

the biggest rumor out there is Crossmen will be set free, and possibly tie into a school like Spirit. I didn't believe it when I first heard it, but it seems to be an option more and more discussed.

I would say it's time for Crossmen alumni to band together. I know for years when i got their newsletter they were always begging for alumni cupport, and it seems they need it now more than ever.

The only reason this post exists in the first place is because someone wanted to start something. Whether that be good or bad, they were tring to start something. I realize we all have the right to ask questions and debate things people say, but this a silly thing to be debating. If it were woodwinds or electronics, amps, what have you, I am all for it. I enjoy the good debates on this forum, but don't care for the debates that center around someone's personality or something they said that gets taken out of context. Hopkins' comments were just fine. He meant no harm and I didn't take any from his comments. Perhaps he would like to re-phrase it today. I have done that a million times, and so have all of you. Do we accept his human nature or do we hold it against him and force him to adhere to our own definitions of drum corps, respect, philosophy on winning and losing, and our belief that he must be perfect.

The bottom line is that there are those who will take every little thing he does, says, implies, hints, proposes, you name it, and they will use it against him hoping to tear down his world of drum corps which many disagree with. They do this instead of just sticking to the subject, not him--regardless of what he says, in order to defend their ideas as opposed to his. The man is not evil, he is not trying to destroy drum corps or the Crossmen, he is not a hater of the SCV or any other corps...he is not the devil. You may disagree with him, and that's fine, but the personal attacks are not necessary.

This post was started with the intention of stirring up the pot in my opinion. Why else would this issue need to be brought up?

Jonathan

The only reason this post exists in the first place is because someone wanted to start something. Whether that be good or bad, they were tring to start something. I realize we all have the right to ask questions and debate things people say, but this a silly thing to be debating. If it were woodwinds or electronics, amps, what have you, I am all for it. I enjoy the good debates on this forum, but don't care for the debates that center around someone's personality or something they said that gets taken out of context. Hopkins' comments were just fine. He meant no harm and I didn't take any from his comments. Perhaps he would like to re-phrase it today. I have done that a million times, and so have all of you. Do we accept his human nature or do we hold it against him and force him to adhere to our own definitions of drum corps, respect, philosophy on winning and losing, and our belief that he must be perfect.

The bottom line is that there are those who will take every little thing he does, says, implies, hints, proposes, you name it, and they will use it against him hoping to tear down his world of drum corps which many disagree with. They do this instead of just sticking to the subject, not him--regardless of what he says, in order to defend their ideas as opposed to his. The man is not evil, he is not trying to destroy drum corps or the Crossmen, he is not a hater of the SCV or any other corps...he is not the devil. You may disagree with him, and that's fine, but the personal attacks are not necessary.

This post was started with the intention of stirring up the pot in my opinion. Why else would this issue need to be brought up?

Jonathan

the biggest rumor out there is Crossmen will be set free, and possibly tie into a school like Spirit. I didn't believe it when I first heard it, but it seems to be an option more and more discussed.

I would say it's time for Crossmen alumni to band together. I know for years when i got their newsletter they were always begging for alumni cupport, and it seems they need it now more than ever.

i hope they dont tie into a school, thtd be kinda wierd. then theyd prob have some wierd name change. but who knows, maybe theyll pull a madison and come back bigger and better

Also, Hoppy, why don't you pace the front side lines like a expecting father when the Crossmen come out and perform. Don't you think it would have been nice for you to be on the front sidelines Friday night for the Crossmen?

The Crossmen have a director and he is Larry Markiewicz, not George Hopkins. I know Hop is the director of YEA! and Crossmen are sponsored by them, but if the members of the Crossmen really "need" to have a supporter on the sidelines, it should be someone from thier staff, not the director of a competing unit.

If any corps uses scoring and placement as a reason to gain or lose confidence in themselves, then maybe THEY have their priorities in the wrong place.

But that's what Hop said; they gained confidence based on their score. I find that normal. Lets see, they just won, sounds like their priorities are exactly where they should be, no?

As long as they're keeping score the goal is to WIN. :)