Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

Shooting off of that...(and trying to add some happiness to this thread)...How confident did SCV look at finals? 

From what I hear, they were as SCV as SCV can be.

We've gone off on so many tangents in this thread (partly my fault), but the above is really the reason I started it in the first place.

You can perform with confidence regardless of how you're placing or scoring.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The point was not about capitalizm, it was that the wheels were already turning for the merchandice before they were actually declared the champions. I'd say they were confident that they would win the show and were willing to bet money on it.

From that link, how can you be sure any shirts or caps have even been made yet. They just look lik clip art to me.

I'm sure Mr. Hopkins will correct the situation as soon as he is aware that it is an issue. 

Looks that way...

Is it just me, or does the reprinting of the story on the YEA website omit the statement completely?

The only reason this post exists in the first place is because someone wanted to start something.  Whether that be good or bad, they were tring to start something.  I realize we all have the right to ask questions and debate things people say, but this a silly thing to be debating.  If it were woodwinds or electronics, amps, what have you, I am all for it.  I enjoy the good debates on this forum, but don't care for the debates that center around someone's personality or something they said that gets taken out of context.  Hopkins' comments were just fine.  He meant no harm and I didn't take any from his comments.  Perhaps he would like to re-phrase it today.  I have done that a million times, and so have all of you.  Do we accept his human nature or do we hold it against him and force him to adhere to our own definitions of drum corps, respect, philosophy on winning and losing, and our belief that he must be perfect. 

The bottom line is that there are those who will take every little thing he does, says, implies, hints, proposes, you name it, and they will use it against him hoping to tear down his world of drum corps which many disagree with.  They do this instead of just sticking to the subject, not him--regardless of what he says, in order to defend their ideas as opposed to his.  The man is not evil, he is not trying to destroy drum corps or the Crossmen, he is not a hater of the SCV or any other corps...he is not the devil.  You may disagree with him, and that's fine, but the personal attacks are not necessary. 

This post was started with the intention of stirring up the pot in my opinion.  Why else would this issue need to be brought up?

Jonathan

while not a fan, i did agree he had the right intentions but probably didnt think before he spoke.

however let me ask you this:

for someone who so often uses the term "education" as his end all and be all for he does to change the activity...err excuse me, improve it in his view, why he does he mention any placements?

educating has no scores. educating means taking a subject, teaching it, having understanding and practical application in life for those it was taught to.

so to me, that statement, in the long run, doesn't help all his claims about education cause ya know what? Those kids in "8th" learned a lot too, and maybe even learned that winning isn't the end all be all....especially if it leads you to make comments that make you sound arrogant

Some people on here will take literally anything the man says and turn it into a melodrama.  It's what they do.   

:lolhit:

I agree with you... This is really ########.

Though I may not agree with it to some point since I was never in a drum and bugle corps that finished higher than fifth, yet confidence was never the problem in our corps.

I don't know, it just seems impossible for people to read a comment and not over analyze it...

Ben

Also, Hoppy, why don't you pace the front side lines like a expecting father when the Crossmen come out and perform. Don't you think it would have been nice for you to be on the front sidelines Friday night for the Crossmen?

George is the Cadets director...Larry is the Crossmen director. I would guess that Larry and the Xmen staff would not take it too well if all of a sudden George started to pace the sideline while their corps was competing.

Mike