Did Hopkins REALLY say that?

Here we go again. 

Do you honestly think he was taking a stab at SCV.  I think what he said here is dead on, especially for any corps like SCV that is used to placing higher.

George Hopkins:

Open Mouth

Insert Torso

Rinse

Repeat

An unfortunate phrase to fall out of the mouth of someone who speaks before thinking a lot. I am sure George himself will admit to wantint to take back things that he says, and when you are as high-profile as he is in this field, your every word is watched. Hope he apologizes, since it was a tasteless, though off the cuff, remark.

Neb B)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have finished on both sides of 8th, but as a cadet?  They are used to being in top 4 position consistently.  If they spent some time in 8th position, thye might lose some confidence.

Sometimes, it is best to keep motivational speeches specific to one group within that group.  I am sure there was no slam intended, nor should one be inferred.

By your explanation, how is it not a slam? Like Cadets, SCV is used to consistently placing in the top 4.

I think Hopkins knew exactly what he was saying and who he was saying it about...seriously, has there been bigger news this summer than that of SCV being ranked 8-10th all season? Why would he make a comment about his corps (a perennial contender, and ranked no lower than 3rd all season) perhaps losing confidence should they have found themselves in 8th?? Give me a break.

What a d###### thing to say George. <**>

WTF? I can't believe this. He used 8th place as an example and people are having a field day with it. Is this for real?

I thought I'd seen all the stupid crap someone could possibly think up posted here re: The Cadets but this takes the cake.

If any corps in 8th place or below takes offense to that comment they have their priorities in the WRONG place. :worthy:

I don't see this as a slight at all. Just a statement regarding something that Hopkins is seeing that I would have thought to be a given ... Confidence breeds success. If you believe you are the best at something it will be easier to achieve the goal.

Not a slight, but not rocket science either.

I think his drum line said it best, Digga Digga, DUMB

Way to go George, Maybe you should have used 14th place as an example...

"It's hard to be competitive when your sponsor organization takes all the best staff, best kids and put all the best efforts into one half of the organization" That would have been a better quote.

Also, Hoppy, why don't you pace the front side lines like a expecting father when the Crossmen come out and perform. Don't you think it would have been nice for you to be on the front sidelines Friday night for the Crossmen?

"It's hard to be competitive when your sponsor organization takes all the best staff, best kids and put all the best efforts into one half of the organization" That would have been a better quote.

I think your reference to the Crossmen getting substandard kids is absurd. Where do you get off? Most of the kids who try out for Crossmen aren't Cadets rejects at all. They go to Crossmen ON PURPOSE.

How effing RUDE!

Some people on here will take literally anything the man says and turn it into a melodrama.  It's what they do.   

:lolhit:

Only because it's just so darn much fun! :P

Nevertheless, regardless of his comments...an issue:

The YEA! program is at an odd crossroads...one program having one a title; the other, lower than they've been in almost two decades.

How does this get resolved? Mass staff changes for the Crossmen? A more "hands on" role for George?

After all, he did march Crossmen to begin with.

Thougts? :)

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be offended by his statement...he was just giving an example--that seems pretty obvious.

But, I do think there is a lot of truth to what he's saying. When the judges place a corps group 1st, that group starts to believe they deserve first. But, the interesting thing is that everyone else starts to think that the group deserves first too. If Cadets had scored 6th instead of first, most of the people saying they deserved to win would be saying they deserved 6th.

There is a huge "lost sheep following the herd" mentality in the activity today.

Not trying to flame, but it is what I truly believe.