DCI, Please listen to this....

From the Ryan H. Turner "canned script" for southern California shows...

"You're about to experience a night of unforgettable competition, pageantry, and entertainment.  To ensure an enjoyable experience by spectators and performers alike, we ask the following:

Please, do not move in or out of your seats while a corps is performing.  There's plenty of time in between corps to be able to find your seats or dash off to the restroom.

Please, no smoking inside the stadium.

Please refrain from making or taking cell phone calls in the stands, especially during a corps performance.

And most of all, please share your enthusiastic applause and support for these talented young performers.  They've all worked long and hard hours to get these shows out on to the field, and they would love to hear from you.  So if you see or hear something you like, let them know!!"

You think Brandt Crocker is reading this thread???

Ryan.....you ARE the man!!!! :worthy:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone else said, most of the complaints that have been made here are not DCI's fault.

One that I would attribute to DCI is the not very interesting interviews conducted between corps during quarters and semis. In addition to being inane, those interviews made it difficult to talk between shows, contributing in some part to the chatting over the corps performance.

DCI, if you're listening, the corps are the show. We don't need to be entertained in between.

HH

I remember that it used to be announced consistantly during the shows to not enter and leave during a corps performance, is this not announced anymore?  I would hope it is, but I do not remember hearing it at any shows I was at this year.

It was announced at the division II/III events in Brockton, but I don't think they had ushers to enforce the concept.

Sorry I gotta post:

My son 2 1/2 yrs. loves dc shows, music and marching fasinates(sp) him. He loves it & behaves better than most 5 yr olds applauds when everyone else does gives standing O's when his dad does, great kid for a show, love taking him, was not at dci this year BUT, where it is my son tends to be rowdy is the 15 minutes that they put in some small shows to lengthen it out, not enough time for a break with the long concession lines, too long to just sit in the stands, the announcements of judges, not just names but the 10 minutes they take to get ready (before the contest starts) a complete biography of their credentials etc... I wish that the show promoters be it DCI or an independent group would realize this. The best way to ensure the 'new' audience everyone keeps talking about coming to dc shows is to make it much like life, on the fastrack, that is what everyone nowadys expects. BTW ever since he was born I have ALWAYS paid for his seat, regardless and every parent should, afterall the funds go to support either the corps, sponsors of the contest or to pay the expenses, no lap children here. AND cell phone on, vibrate mode, at end of corps performance I check it and go to the concession area or washroom to talk not only is it courteous to the others who have paid for their ticket, but I would not want anyone top relay my conversation on DCP (lol).

Sorry I gotta post:

My son 2 1/2 yrs. loves dc shows, music and marching fasinates(sp) him.  He loves it & behaves better than most 5 yr olds applauds when everyone else does gives standing O's when his dad does, great kid for a show, love taking him, .....

That's great to hear. I hope he continues to enjoy corps shows. My son, who has been going to shows since he was in infant, just finished his 4th season of drum corps. He was always well behaved. Often, though, we would sit out of the way from the other fans if we thought there was any chance he'd be a disruption to others.

From the Ryan H. Turner "canned script" for southern California shows...

"You're about to experience a night of unforgettable competition, pageantry, and entertainment.  To ensure an enjoyable experience by spectators and performers alike, we ask the following:

Please, do not move in or out of your seats while a corps is performing.  There's plenty of time in between corps to be able to find your seats or dash off to the restroom.

Please, no smoking inside the stadium.

Please refrain from making or taking cell phone calls in the stands, especially during a corps performance.

And most of all, please share your enthusiastic applause and support for these talented young performers.  They've all worked long and hard hours to get these shows out on to the field, and they would love to hear from you.  So if you see or hear something you like, let them know!!"

You think Brandt Crocker is reading this thread???

Well ... I'm pretty sure that most of those things were indeed announced ... not that the guilty parties, like the kids I mentioned earlier who were sitting behind me, paid it much mind. I'm just especially miffed at them because you'd have thought that if they're members of a DCA corps they ought to know better than to act like that at a show. <sigh>

Just got back this afternoon from Providence and the DCI championships were very good! I would like to comment on the security/ volunteers during the three day event at Gillette stadium.

Here is the short and skinny

-folks walked in and out of the stadium during the corps performances.  This irked the HECK out of me!  <**>  <**>

-folks not turing their cell phones off (or even talking on them during the corps performances). <**>  <**>

-folks talking during the corps performances. I will not say anything else in fear that my blood pressure will go up. <**>  <**>

-folks bringing young children to an event of this nature (it is developmentally inappropriate to expect that young children will sit for over 4 plus hours without wanting to play and be KIDS). Parents should strongly consider this when anticipating bringing their young children with them.

I have paid big $$$$$ for the best seats in the house each evening, hotel, airfare, car rental and other accomodations because I am a loyal fan of DCI.  Also, I have used valuable vacation time away from my family to attend this event.  In retrospect, the DCI Regional event in Kalamazoo had the best security/volunteers that I have seen this year.  Perhaps you can hire these folks to work the event.  Believe me, they were on top of everything. 

DCI, PLEASE listen to this.

Did anyone else have a similiar experience???

Peace!!

Lots of Chatter, Lots of Cel Phones, Lots of People Snoring!

We had no problems with people moving around, they closed the stairways where we were sitting.

How about on Friday, I think Spirit was on and they were moving FOOD in carts on the top level and you could hear the wheels squeaking and clunking during the performance and I was down in Section 110

If you are looking for ushers, that will never happen, I remember in 94 getting into a fight with a parent that wanted to sit in my wife's seat while she went to the ladies room.

As far as DCI doing anything or listening to the "fans", well let's see, the amp petition worked really well....... :sshh:

It worked well for me and everybody I know, and I think we're fans too. :lolhit:

I've been to many many many many events where rules against all of that stuff were strictly enforced. Things need to change, but playing the victim role of "woe is me, DCI doesn't care about the fans' isn't going to do it.

In Section 108 on both nights the security was so strict I thought they might be pushed down the stairs!

Even during the lining up for retreat (which they thought was judged) they would not let people enter or exit. Obviously the training that was given was not as good as I thought it would be. It was horrible in my section.

Although I didn't go to finals, the M'boro regional show was the same. So many bandos I thought I was at a high school pep ralley! But I too had to tell a couple of groups of kids to be quiet. I would have done it more except I didn't want to continue embarrassing my guest who was new to the activity. At first, she didn't understand why you could not talk during a performance since it was outside but then even she told me between shows how annoying it was for people to be talking and getting up during the shows.

I also had a similar experience at the Jackson, TN show, a small family with a 3-4 year old was talking all through the shows but didn't utter a peep between corps (go figure!). One of the ladies even had the audacity to light up a cigarrette in which I politely asked her to extinguish within a few puffs. And the little 3-4 year old was stomping the stands and banging the seat in fron of her (the row I sat in) with a pair of drum stick all the while the family thinking it's cute! I had already asked them to be quiet and thought asking them to contain their kid would have sparked a racial debate since we were of different ethnicity (it wouldn't have been the first time I was called a racist, just because I disagreed with someone of different color!). So I put up with it but it just affirmed my stance that too many people these days (young and old) just have no concept of "other people" and "common courtesy". It's amazing and just down right frustrating. Just shows how much of this country is so self centered!