Your Corps and Why it's Gone

My corps was the Royal Coachmen from North Tonawanda, NY. They died in May 1977. The previous year, August '76 the corps had just won the NT Open Class Championships and met the next morning to prepare to leave for Philadelphia. The director sat everyone down and resigned. Reason.....family and a number of parents were trying to take control. He left and then the corps got on the buses and went to Philly. We arrived and the hotel reservations were screwd up. We rehearsed briefly the next morning after getting very little sleep, did prelims and did a boring show and ended up 16th or something. About a week later, the director returned and we began preparing for the 77 season. Rehearsals were pretty good. The hornline wasn't as big as the year before (we had 36), we only had 30. In May of 1977, the director resigned again. The person who took over the corps decided to merge with a local corps called the Frontiersmen. I never understood what happened, but we gave up our name, our uniforms and became the Frontiersmen. It was a huge let down for all of us who had been with the corps for 4 or more years. To this day I'm not sure who to blame.

So that's my story...how 'bout yours.

I.C. Reveries, Revere, Massachusettes, 1957 to 1974

At the beginning of the 1974 season, an arson fire burned up our storage areas in the church hall. While most of our equipment and uniforms were on the equipment truck or in the hands of the marching members, this was a big blow to the corps. The church had become unfriendly and we had little money.

At the end of the season, the management sought out a potential merger with several corps. In the end the corps merged with the Blue Angles of Danvers, MA for the 1975 season. Many were not happy with this. About a third went with the merger forming the Blue Angel Reveries, about a third joined the 27th Lancers and the rest did something else including leaving the activity.

At the end of the 1975 season, both the Reverie and Blue Angel organizations were out of cash and the corps merged with the Cardinals of Beverly, MA forming the Northstar. That's another story I'll leave for someone else.

The long and short of it was money and money.

Steve Solombrino :(

I.C. Reveries, Revere, Massachusettes, 1957 to 1974

We had a member march with I.C., his name was Joel Lamarr, red headed mellophone player. Remember?

"...a number of parents were trying to take control".

Ah, the dreaded Little League syndrome! Typically folks that aren't all that smokingly successful in their day jobs, but they KNOW better how to run things...

a pox on them, everyone....

Everytime I tell you jerks why my corps went under, you all gang up and bully me and take my lunch money! 

I'm not falling for it this time!  HA!

AAWWWWW! Com'on-go Ahead!

I..uh..I got your back............................................

:rolleyes: :P

George Tuthill wanted a marching band.  He converted the corps after the '87 season.

Ewww He used that four letter word in here: Band.

Skyuck! :P