do you think Gmen ruined a possible...

Okay, perhaps "ruined" is a little harsh. And I don't mean to imply that they did it on purpose.

But last year at this time, a lot of PR fans were overwhelmingly in favor of Phantom playing New World Symphony again. With all the 50th anniversary talk of the last couple weeks, one would assume this would be a really popular choice. However, I didn't see it mentioned much if at all in the 50th anniversary repertoire thread.

I'm assuming this is because we heard it played from Glassmen this summer.

Is it a good assumption that Phantom would not consider playing New World Symphony so soon after Glassmen?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Glassmen show did not Ruin anything. Totally Different presentation. It was done well and I know alot of people liked it.

If Phantom was to do it I am sure it would be done in their way. Making another great show probably.

Edited by Bond624

Who knows, not being rude but just telling the truth, most people are more familiar with the usual 5 corps (Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cadets, and The Cavaliers).

2003 Boston Crusaders and The Cadets played Malaguena. And I'm sure they both know they were going to play that early in the season.

Edited by TommySopranoContra

Who knows, not being rude but just telling the truth, most people are concerned and more familiar with the usual 5 corps (Blue Devils, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard, The Cadets, and The Cavaliers).

2003 Boston Crusaders and The Cadets played Malaguena. And I'm sure they both know they were going to play that early in the season.

This might have come off as less rude if you had said "I am concerned and more familar with... ", as opposed to "most people are...", since we know you speak only for yourself :)

I, for one, hope they don't bring it back. There's lots of good music out there...no need to rehash anything they have done before...however, if they WERE to do something from before...Spartacus would be a nice choice. New Worls is a show that should have won them a title, and it was a magical 2nd place year for them. Leave it in the past and keeping looking into the future.

It's time for Regiment to do some Prokofiev.

Yes, "ruined" isn't the right word, I'm sure you meant "ruined an opportunity for Phantom Regiment to play Dvorak 9 after a long hiatus".

Well it's going to go back on hiatus for a while before Phantom brings it back, I think.

This might have come off as less rude if you had said "I am concerned and more familar with... ", as opposed to "most people are...", since we know you speak only for yourself :)

Changed it. Madison Scouts 96!!! b**bs :worthy:

Did Glassmen shut the door on the opportunity of Phantom doing Dvorak's "A New World"? NO!

Did recent results of "remakes" of classics shut the door on the opportunity of Phantom doing Dvorak's "A New World"? Yes!

As someone else put it in another thread, leave the classics in the past. Make new classics.

Edited by stochastic

Did recent results of "remakes" of classics shut the door on the opportunity of Phantom doing Dvorak's "A New World"?  Yes!

Which "remakes" are you talking about?

In any case, whether a corps has played a particular rep in the past or not has little or no bearing on the competitive outcome if they do that same music again. I don't understand that argument. If it's a great show, then it's a great show. Besides, if PR brought back "New World" next summer, the oldest members of the corps in '06 would have been pre-schoolers when the corps last performed it. Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia from time to time. At least you know that they'll likely get a good crowd response, unless you totally mess up the arrangement.

I'm all for "Spartacus," tho. B)