do you think Gmen ruined a possible...

Which "remakes" are you talking about?

Madison's rendition of Malaga, for example. If I remember correctly, people on this board continuely compared it to the 95 version last summer. That's a risk of bringing something back, I guess. Competitive aspects aside, designers still want to please the crowd. I am for nostalgia, like how Spirit mixed "Danny Boy" among other pieces into "October" back in 03.

Hope that clears up my previous scatterbrained post.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, hope they don't bring it back... It's time for Regiment to do some Prokofiev.

Agreed. And the simple act of doing something completely NEW rather than updating a 'classic' for a FIFTIETH anniversary show would speak volumes about a corps' overall approach.

To answer the original question, I believe that the Glassmen provided the activity with a healthy dose of the The New World Symphony that will last a little while!

Edited by RB Ripley

It's funny everyone talks about G-men ruining New World because they played it this year, but didn't Capital regiment play it just a couple years ago?

Which "remakes" are you talking about?

In any case, whether a corps has played a particular rep in the past or not has little or no bearing on the competitive outcome if they do that same music again.  I don't understand that argument.  If it's a great show, then it's a great show.  Besides, if PR brought back "New World" next summer, the oldest members of the corps in '06 would have been pre-schoolers when the corps last performed it.  Nothing wrong with a little nostalgia from time to time.  At least you know that they'll likely get a good crowd response, unless you totally mess up the arrangement.

I'm all for "Spartacus," tho.  B)

Beg to differ here...

I too drooled quite a bit when I heard that SCV was bringing back RCM. That's one of my favorite openers EVER, and I thought that it would be amazing as a closer. However, when I saw it Saturday, it was great, but it wasn't the same WRT emotion, intensity, anything. Friends and I started talking about redoing the "classics"...

Last year - Malaga just wasn't what it was in 95, and there was NO WAY it would have been

2003 - I couldn't wait to see Rocky Point on the field again, and again, it just didn't hold up to the 83 version.

More you ask? Ok...

Madison - 96 Malaguena vs 88 Malaguena

Blue Devils - 02 Channel One vs 76,86 Channel One

Phantom - 92 1812 Overture vs 84 1812

SCV - 92 Fiddler vs, well, any fiddler (esp. the Bottle Dance)

Suncoast - 89 Florida Suite (Lite) vs 85 Florida Suite

Michael Jordan - 45 vs 23

There are more, but the only "redo" that came reasonably close to capturing the excitement of the original was Scouts' 93 offering of Strawberry Soup. (In my opinion of course)

My point is that we always talk about seeing our favorite corps pull out our favorite charts / shows again. There is a reason that these are our favorites... they were incredible performances in their time. However, with the changes that DCI has undergone, the product won't be the same. The new attempt would be continuously compared to the old, fair or not, and keep in mind that our recollection of those classic shows of old is tinged by the gold-hued fog of recollection, even if we can listen to the old recordings any time.

Please PR... leave the classics classic. There is plenty to do next! Just keep giving us the quality that you have been over the last 3 years (and more)!

Amen, brother.  :worthy:  Any particular suggestions?

Certainly...

Romeo and Juliet Ballet Scenes, Acts I, II, and III

The Love for Three Oranges Suite

Symphonies No. 5 or 6 (I don't think Symphony I would be good for corps)

Ivan the Terrible

Alexander Nevsky

Just off the top of my head....I'd have to rifle through my Prokofiev collection for more things...

(cough cough) Toccata from Symphonie concertante for Organ & Orchestra by Jongen(cough cough)

Here's a clip, sadly I can't find anything longer:

http://www.guildmusic.com/mpeg2/7195_4.mp3

It only gets better. :)

In fact, I'd say that anything from the Michael Murray CD "Organ Blaster" would rock on the field.

6427E.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ssical&n=507846