Woodwinds & the Demise of Drum Corps

I'll also suggest that adding woodwinds may not change the sound at all. I'm basing this on my observation of a 300+ piece marching band several years ago at the Fiesta Bowl band championships in Phoenix. They had 50 flutes, and I couldn't hear one of them. In fact, I couldn't hear much woodwind sound at all.

And out of the 4,000 competitive marching bands in the US, you're extrapolating based on just this one?

Among some prominent band circuits (BOA and USSBA, to name a couple), the prevailing philosophy is that the "proper" approach to performance is for the brass to refrain from drowning out the woodwinds, as the band you witnessed did. Bands generally refrain from unleashing a full fortissimo from the brass as a result, in order to preserve balance with the woodwinds. Those who do not follow that principle do not succeed competitively.

If that philosophy was integrated into drum corps, well, let's just say it would change the sound.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I highly doubt that. You'd probably be doing exactly what you're doing now, only you would have entitled this post, "Bb Brass and the Demise of Drum Corps." Or some other thing that has changed which you don't like.

I'm sorry skywalker but I can't even read your posts without totally busting up at that hilarious picture. It's like watching a motivational speaker speak at a seminar while in his underwear. :ph34r:

Edited by torn8o

My apologies for not remembering you.  As for my disdain for bands and what is happening to the foundation of drum corps which I helped lay.... it's America baby.  Take a gander at the Constitution.  Your desire to squelch opinion is what is scary and pushes the limits.  Oh and ....you said you were in the pit... pits are off the field...so we didn't technically share a field.

(dons flame-retardant suit and heads for ringside seat)

My apologies for not remembering you.  As for my disdain for bands and what is happening to the foundation of drum corps which I helped lay.... it's America baby.  Take a gander at the Constitution.  Your desire to squelch opinion is what is scary and pushes the limits.  Oh and ....you said you were in the pit... pits are off the field...so we didn't technically share a field.

For the third time, I ask you: Why do you waste your time posting to a drum corps discussion board when you obviously have nothing positive to say about contemporary drum corps?

The First Amendment notwithstanding, what pleasure do you get from marginalizing and denigrating the drum corps of today? And what does it say about you and your quality of life that you obviously (as witnessed by your persistence) get some kind of validation from your consistent negativity?

Finally, trying (but failing) to make the distinction that you didn't "technically" share a field with Stef because she was a member of the pit and you were a soprano is informative as to your exclusionary, elitest attitude toward an activity that has always been partly defined by its inclusive policies and practices.

Despite your lame attempt to minimize Stef's membership experiene as part of the pit, I submit that she was as important to the corps as you were (perhaps more so, because at least Stef displayed a positive attitude!)

Seems to me that someone else on here had a great idea.  We all have the time to sit on our computers and complain about the current state of "drum corps".  How about taking some time during the summer or during a camp weekend and getting involved?  Go cook. Go drive. Go help with laundry.  Get on staff if you can.  Then tell the kids to their face how boring their programs are and how much you dislike what they are doing.

And out of the 4,000 competitive marching bands in the US, you're extrapolating based on just this one?

Among some prominent band circuits (BOA and USSBA, to name a couple), the prevailing philosophy is that the "proper" approach to performance is for the brass to refrain from drowning out the woodwinds, as the band you witnessed did.  Bands generally refrain from unleashing a full fortissimo from the brass as a result, in order to preserve balance with the woodwinds.  Those who do not follow that principle do not succeed competitively.

If that philosophy was integrated into drum corps, well, let's just say it would change the sound.

THANK GOOOOOOOOOD our varsity drum corps doesn't have woodwinds. And USSBA and BOA have some screwed up judging, everything's worth the same. TCB's where it's at on a high school level :D they score same way as DCI

No.  I'd be happy if "it" were simply drum corps.  But "it" is not.  "It" is bands pure and simple.

To try and cloak "it" as "Drum Corps" is dishonest.  Do what you're going to do...add amps and mikes and vocals and woodwinds and grease your palms with the large band manufacturer reps.  Fine.  But don't call it Drum Corps because it isn't.  Merge with Bands of America and get it over with.

DCI drum corps is whatever the BOD says it is.

You may or may not like what they say it is, but that's your problem, not theirs.

FYI...Competitive field drum corps has not changed any of the legal instruments since multi-key in 2000.

Mike

Here's my take, not that anyone gives a rats ask about it...

It took the corps that be 10 years to get amps in, 1993/94 is when they were proposed by the former Cadets of Begren County.

I'm ok with amps, so long as they amp instruments and not people.

But the whole woodwind thing is effen insane for me. Why are people arguing that woodwinds will be ok in Drum Corps, you could not call it Drum Corps anymore, because it would not be Drum and Bugle Corps anymore, it will be Band.

And WHY WHY WHY do we need to possibly let woodwinds in, why not just have a summer band tour in conjuction with DCI, oh yea, I believe it's been tried a few times by BOA and it's failed.

Drum corps are bands without WW. If they add WW, what's the big deal?

Mike

This subject isn't as simple as some would like it to be. But there is a simple solution. Just leave the voicing alone, leave the membership limits alone, leave all the rules alone for five years. Take a break from rules change proposals. It seems like we have too many changes, too often, as it is.

Garry

No, the best thing is to accept the various proposals, be they electronics or WW and let those charged with making the rules start to look at these as additional options.

IMO we'll see electronics long before marching WW.

Mike

I hate it when I come in late to a thread and don't have time to read through all posts. I apologize if my thoughts have already entered the picture.

One of the major concerns of corps directors is the control of costs. Because of that reason alone, I believe that woodwinds will never happen. The simply are not designed to take the kind of punishment that a drum corps season unleashes on the instruments. Can you imagine what the weather in Alabama would do to the pads on a saxophone? What about the effect of the brutal treatment on the alignment of the woodinds? Corps would also need to arrive much earlier at a show site so that the woodwind players could select the proper reeds for that night's performance. Woof.