Gainsville Sun article on DCI

i'd imagine you have stadium fees for DCI run shows, production costs for dvds and cds, salaries, ESPN2, etc

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...3/APS/508130816

Fairly standard piece on the activity...but here's where it gets interesting:

I wasn't aware that DCI was projecting nine million dollars all total on tickets and merch this year. If that's the case, then I gotta say we've come a long way from the DCI that was the brink of going bust in the early 90's, which is very good news.

The objectivist in me has to ask, though: Do these numbers seem a little skewed to you guys?

Or, possibly, are they including individual corps merch revenue as well?

Thoughts?

Bawker, this is an AP story, so pretty much every newspaper carried the story. Just do a Google search on "AP" and "corps", you'll be surprised how many times the story came up, and yes Paul, even in the Free Press from a few days ago.

30%!!!  Where does the other six million go?

I think I heard a figure at some point during the week that just the cost of renting the stadium itself is upwards of around $ 1/2 million. Just the facilities. Staff salaries, equipment brought it, etc, will probably run that to over a million for the week, I would guess. I am assuming that this is DCI's biggest money maker of the year so they have to fund the rest of their operations.

Anyone know how big the DCI staff is these days? And $105K for an executive director of an organization the size of DCI sounds right, IMHO.

Cheers,

Bob

I think I heard a figure at some point during the week that just the cost of renting the stadium itself is upwards of around $ 1/2 million.  Just the facilities.  Staff salaries, equipment brought it, etc, will probably run that to over a million for the week, I would guess.  I am assuming that this is DCI's biggest money maker of the year so they have to fund the rest of their operations. 

Anyone know how big the DCI staff is these days?  And $105K for an executive director of an organization the size of DCI sounds right, IMHO.

Cheers,

Bob

I'm thinking this is probably LOW for an exec. dir of the size of DCI's. Especially if he's living in Addison/Schaumburg/Barrington.

Who are you referring to here? If indeed it's me, I don't think anyone has their "panties in a wad" over this, it's simply a topic of conversation that is of interest. I don't look for ulterior motives most of the time, thanks.

And, let it be known, for the record, that the 2004 Guidestar for fiscal year 2003 lists the revenue at around eight and a half million dollars, which keeps with about this number that the article reports.

So, I stand corrected. Gasp! Someone who admits a mistake on DCP!

It's certainly a change from the way things were only a few years ago, hence the thread. I apologize if my knowledge of all things non-profit isn't up to snuff.

Perhaps you should learn to use some tact in the future, though, with your brand of retort. :)

Dude, that was directed at Apoch. He said "30%!!! Where does the other six million go?" That was my response to it.

I answered a 1-liner with a 1-liner. Sorry to get you thinking your comment was mixed in.

Dude, that was directed at Apoch.  He said "30%!!!  Where does the other six million go?"  That was my response to it.

I answered a 1-liner with a 1-liner.  Sorry to get you thinking your comment was mixed in.

My mistake. :)

Well, in any event, I at least found out some new information about non-profit stuff...thanks for setting me straight indirectly. :P

Edited by bawker

30%!!!  Where does the other six million go?

The biggest item that no one has mentioned has got to be non-staff people costs:

The first million or so has to be going toward travel costs to get all those judges, etc. to the shows and put them up in hotels. Travel costs have got to be going through the roof these days.

Then there are all the local people (ushers, ticket takers, security guards, on call paramedics, electricians, etc.) that the stadium provides but DCI pays for. I'm sure security costs must have jumped significantly since 9/11.

And don't forget some of the other things DCI has been doing in the last 5 years or so - dci.org redesigns, changing over from VHS to the DVD format with extra tracks and features, going back to re-issue the Legacy DVD's, Regal Cinema, ESPN2, APD's, etc. - I'm sure those have all taken some big $$$$'s invested for development and execution.

I'm actually surprised they have 30% available to give back to the corps.

I contacted DCI to VOLUNTEER for summer events. They said they didn't need people, and if I sent a resume they would keep it on file. Maybe I'll add a cover letter and ask for $75k next time.....