Best Year Ever

Okay, so what year was it? What was the "best" year ever for the drum & bugle corps activity as a whole?

Define "best" however you want to ... the overall health of the activity, the most entertaining shows in DCI's top twelve, the largest number of members participating, something that sticks in your memory as a member or fan ... whatever the word means to you in this context.

Discuss.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay I don't mean much because I've only witnessed finals since 1996.

But I think 2003 has to be the best year, that year was extremely competitive and it came out with a TON of great shows. I love the top 5 each and every one of them. And trust me there wasn't just ONE fan favorite. There were a lot!

And for a long time I've never seen so many people enjoy as many shows that were on finals night 2003 than a lot of years. 2000 probably comes in a very close second in my opinion, those were just some great fans, the crowd was nuts, the stadium was great, the night was a nice temperature, competition was just there.

Best shows to me mean tight competition, a quantity of enjoyable shows, and just a great crowd.

I personally would've loved to have been at finals night in 1993. The top 6 has four of my favorite drum corps shows of all time - not to mention the added atmosphere of the rain (though certainly didn't help the guards or make the seats any more comfortable, i'm sure). I don't know, I think I would have enjoyed that most.

Just amazing top to bottom, with every variety imaginable. Phantom doing jazz, BD's monster horn line, Cadets innovating "Short Ride", SCV's "Miss Saigon"...and Star of Indiana. :)

Not to mention the Crossmen and others from that year...that Crossmen drum break is one of the most ###-kicking grooves ever.

I would die a happy man if I saw another year like that live. :blink:

Edited by bawker

No matter how many times I try and search for a different answer, the bottom line is: 1982.

The undefeated Blue Devils, had their stiffest competition in SCV, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, and Garfield Cadets. Garfield beat everyone there but the Blue Devils, Vanguard pulled out the bottle dance to try and overcome Concord. Devils were on fire. Scouts, PR, and Garfield swapped places. A slow-starting 27th Lancers (behind Cavies in July) overcame the Bridgemen, and Crossment o wind up a strong sixth. Skyryders brok into finals, won DCS over Spirit of Atlanta and Suncoast Sound emerged as a contender, almost overtaking Cavies in prelims to make finals. The competition was deep into the associate ranks as Troopers, Knights, and nort star had legitimate bids for finals. Velvet Knights gave us a glimpse of the future, Valley Fevet, Memphis Blues, and Defenders all held on with solid strong programs. The talent was so deep, corps like Boston Crusaders, Avant Garde, Rivermen, Kingsmen, and Imperial Guard all had solid shows and DIDNT make the top twentyfive.

This by far was the most competitive year in history to me, you just didnt know who was gonna place where.

~G~

No matter how many times I try and search for a different answer, the bottom line is: 1982.

The undefeated Blue Devils, had their stiffest competition in SCV, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts, and Garfield Cadets. Garfield beat everyone there but the Blue Devils, Vanguard pulled out the bottle dance to try and overcome Concord. Devils were on fire. Scouts, PR, and Garfield swapped places. A slow-starting 27th Lancers (behind Cavies in July) overcame the Bridgemen, and Crossment o wind up a strong sixth. Skyryders brok into finals, won DCS over Spirit of Atlanta and Suncoast Sound emerged as a contender, almost overtaking Cavies in prelims to make finals. The competition was deep into the associate ranks as Troopers, Knights, and nort star had legitimate bids for finals. Velvet Knights gave us a glimpse of the future, Valley Fevet, Memphis Blues, and Defenders all held on with solid strong programs. The talent was so deep, corps like Boston Crusaders, Avant Garde, Rivermen, Kingsmen, and Imperial Guard all had solid shows and DIDNT make the top twentyfive.

This by far was the most competitive year in history to me, you just didnt know who was gonna place where.

~G~