Syracuse Show Review

Hello Everyone.

This is my first time posting anything, but I am going to give my own attempt on a review of the Syracuse show.

My seats were on the third level.. six rows up on the 50

Weahter .. threatening to rain.. but heald off till the last corps was done performing.

1. White Sabres. first year out.. and looking pretty good.. It was entertaining to watch and you could see the corps enjoys performing. I will deffinetly look forward to see this corps again at Scranton.

2. Kilties, well the sound of brass was good, recognizable music. but every time I see them I still wish they would give me more. It just seemed a little flat to me tonight, maybe it was just me, but they did seem a bit flat. Other then that enjoyable. Im a guard person.. so I will say, I like the guard unis... and the flags.. if you guys can clean it up.. it will look really good at finals.

3. Grenadiers. I am a bit bias when it comes to this corps.. since I did march there.. and my brother still does. When I saw them at rehersal.. I was a bit worried. BUt they seemed to come out with an energetic performance. They guard was looking pretty good most of the show.. there is a few week moments.. but I know that you will work on that and it will improve. Grens seemed to be get a little tired right at the end.. but other then that it was a very good show. The guard looked so dark.. I even heard the lady behind me say they looked a bit scary. Well done.

4. Crusaders. Good to see them back. IMO I didnt think there were quite as good as Grennies, but I did think it was close between the two corps. I wonder if the guard learned some new stuff cause near the end of the show.. it seemed like they were struggling a lot.. it seemed they were confused. Other then that, their guard was ok. The brass had a little more sound then Grens in some part.. but seemed to have a lot less steem at the end of there performance the Grens did.. and it caused your last moment to be not as exciting as I think you were hoping for.

5. Empire Statesmen. Very good show.. Always enjoyable to watch. I love how they manage to put an actual story on the field.. very well done.. the guard looked pretty good tonight. Semmed to struggle in a few parts .. but nonetheless performed well as always. The brass had a very nice sound tonight. but for some reason.. there was once or twice.. where I thought they were holding back.. again maybe just me.. but who knows. But deffinetly.. one of the most entertaining shows of the night. GOOD JOB p.s. It was my friend Jeff's first time at a drum corps show ever and you were his favorite of the night.

6. Buccaners. WOW... is all I have to say. I have not been a big fan of Buccs in a few years but last night.. impressed me totally.. there sound and look was amazing. The ballad "Adagio for Strings" gave me chills. Im still feeling it. You have deffinetly made me a fan this year. Im really looking forward to this show at finals. Guard look awesome.. only one problem with this guard. TOO man drops (IMO) other then that great.. Wonderful show.. I see why your on top.

7. Brigadiers. Nice show from them. I think the cleanest guard of the night (IMO) but like Statesmen in a few spots it seemed like you were holding back a little. I dont know why, but with that said, I did think that you guys in parts had a bit of a fuller sound. I didn't see to many drops in this guard so that made me happy. over all.. it was a pretty entertaining show.. Good Job.

Drum Majors retreat cause of rain.. but at least the rain held off till the end.

Sorry if it's long winded. But I just wanted to share what I thought.

nice review and for future refence,w e do have a revieews section

7. Brigadiers. Nice show from them. I think the cleanest guard of the night (IMO)

thank you :)

Nice review... thanks!

A few thoughts of my own: (No offense to any drumlines, but since I'm not a drummer.... I only play one on TV... :P..... I tend to focus more on horn and visual stuff.)

White Sabers were pretty impressive for a first-year corps.

Kilties have their best hornline since becoming a senior corps, IMO.

Grenadiers have a very cool, high-energy show, perhaps a bit TOO high-energy in terms of drill demand..... some rough visual moments stood out.

Crusaders: Welcome back, Cru! First year back and a Top 10 contender. Even if you guys don't make Finals, I'd already consider your season a "mission accomplished"!

Empire Statesmen: They lacked fire and energy in Lewisburg last month, IMO. But last night in Syracuse.... WOW. A MUCH more "Statesmen-like" performance. Super-clean hornline from field level, and lots of energy and showmanship!

Buccaneers: A few brass errors noticeable from field level. I get the feeling this was not the corps' best performance, but they STILL looked and sounded great overall. These guys are without a doubt the real deal this summer.

Brigadiers: Really clean brass and visual performance. IMO, the first half of the show is hot.... but there's something about the second half...not as many "Brigadier moments" in that portion (meaning intensity and power) except for the very end with the front-sideline power push.

Nice night, except for the rain. <**> And without going into detail, I get the feeling that one of the contest staffers and I won't be going out for dinner and drinks anytime soon...if ever. B) I'll leave it at that.

i dont agree with that fran! FINALS IT IS! but thanks for the compliments ;)

btw pictures of 3 corps http://photobucket.com/albums/a125/SxFxZ/S...%20Drum%20Show/

always glad to have more review here for DCA shows. God knows we need em

THAT's the right attitude!!!! A top 10 spot would be icing on Cru's cake, for sure. Best of luck to you guys!

Fran

So Guards, Horns and Vis, it's all good, but what did you all think of the Drumlines?

at the end of the Brigs Performance, I thought they were going to beat both Empire and Bucs on the field, they just had much less dirt then the other two.

then I got to see the recaps, and ?????

But for the juges defense I got to say that those ensemble problems have to be hard to just ignore.

but they were cleaner and they play more up to date parts, in a very dated type show, it 's weird, I have said earlier in the season that I didn't like the Brigs show, I still don't (very boring) exept for the Drumsolo and the ending, but I do see that what they offer as far as percussion goes is very "up to date" anyway I like it better then eight notes diddle and similar paterns all thru the show.

Dave

haven't seen Brigs since lewisburg, but after seeing Bucs 3 times, I'd have to say their drumline is for sure in the hunt