The quote of "a note about the dci cam"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet the text blog keeps getting rave reviews. It's just text, right?

It was text as well as behind the scenes video. Phantom's hornline, SCV's drumline, slideshow. Random lot happenings as well as shots of what's happening on the field.

I was just wondering, my Season Pass subscription ends in a couple of weeks. If they don't have the finals vids up by then, I assume that they are going to extend my subscription until they catch up. Perhaps I'll send them an email to that effect.

Hey Joe, I have a question.  It's not argumentative, and anyone else can answer.  I'm curious about one thing -- your perceived idea of what was promised.  When you say that "the product was less then promised", that means you had an idea of what you expected, and that the actual was short of that idea.

I'm very curious about what your idea of what was promised was.  Can you elaborate?

Allow me to quote a few lines from the the attached link - to review what was promised and what was delivered.

DCI Season Pass Announcement

5/04/2005 -- 2:05 PM CST

"Want to check out a photo gallery from last night in Louisville? Come here first. Want to predict the winner of DCI 2005? Do your research here. Want to get up close and personal with the Bluecoats drum major? We’ve got the video here."

"But that’s not all you get with a subscription to the DCI Season Pass."

"A subscription to the DCI Season Pass also includes access to all of our first-class live event coverage from many major regional DCI events. These will allow you to hear corps shows as they evolve over the summer."

"Our live event coverage also includes exhaustive photo galleries, thought-provoking and informative video vignettes (including interviews, parking lot warmup footage and more) as well as concise news recaps from the events."

"A subscription to the DCI Season Pass is the answer to all your drum corps needs."

The second to last paragraph troubles me the most, thought provoking and informative video vignette (Gophers) consise news recaps (rarely did they have scores on the same day) - show me the parking lot videos - where were they?

Here - this is what was promised, and we all know what was delivered.

Joe

Remember yesteryear when we didn't have the Internet and you had to rely on good ol' DCI Today, or watch on PBS if it was actually airing in your area?

Yeah, back when the actually showed performances instead of laundry day. :P :huh:

Maybe Season Pass can hook us up with what brands of detergent work best in the meantime. ^0^

Edited by bawker

since this is my chance to ask in a correlating topic.....why has dci.org been updated in a while either.  The Cadets barely got any credit on the site and absolutly nothing is new on their since last week as well........done rambling/whining (for now)

The DCI web content manager's wife went into labor early and yesterday delivered twins. I suspect that's at the center of much of why the site hasn't been updated early. Anyone who knows someone who's had twins knows that it's a bit scarier and more complex than delivering a single baby, which is scary and complex enough. I know many are expecting things in a certain timeframe, but I hope knowing this helps appease some of our fans until things get back to normal.

Mike

Edited by Michael Boo

Since I have been the most vocal on this issue I will jump in. Season Pass is worth the cost, particularly when they do what they say. Here is how I summarize it:

Good stuff:

Good access, the web designers know drum corps, APDs, well organized archives, balanced coverage, easy to use filmstrip, they are responsive to questions

Bad stuff:

Told that field pass would be up every day of finals, Dan got busy, but the site did not tell us that, until Dan got on DCP and told us we never knew, they don't inform

They had problems at Allentown, but they knew from last year that the maintenance shed is problematic at best, not prepared

They field was turned around at finals, they saw no reason to turn the camera, not prepared

They lost the TV feed, couldn't put up videos, worked the night before, did they just coast in on Finals hoping it would work like Semis? They promised to get the videos from finals up last week, still not up, no word on the site, we just have to keep trying, they will not tell us what is going on

The recap daily sheet was up for Quaters and Semis, not for Finals, no one knew the times or the order for the Bluecoats and Madison

Coverage is too stale, we saw on the camera that the stands were cleared, no one on the field, we found out through the BD feed that it was due to lightning, Season Pass had it more than an hour later

There are other issues like the general photo gallery that was never populated and some clips that never worked

Suggestions:

Make content timely

Give us scores as the crowd gets scores, it is up on DCI.ORG long before it is on Season Pass

Work a way to send coverage comments real time from your users

Lose the annoying video on the login screen (The only thing they have acted on)

Give information on new content at login, we have to search for changes

The Finals meeting on SP only had 7 people, this is a web-based activty, do a web meeting

Am I being unfair? I don't think so. I have let them set my expectation. But I do hold them to their word. They can change it just by posting a change. But that never happens. Some will make excuses about volunteers and unexpected issues, but I say that they are setting my expectations, so they know their limitations. Let's hear from them. Finals coverage was worse than Lisle. It is time for DCI to step up and take responsibility.

The DCI web content manager's wife went into labor early and has delivered twins. I suspect that's at the center of much of why the site hasn't been updated early. Anyone who knows someone who's had twins knows that it's a bit scarier and more complex than delivering a single baby, which is scary and complex enough. I know many are expecting things in a certain timeframe, but I hope knowing this helps appease some of our fans until things get back to normal.

Mike,

This explains a lot, but they have posted items on DCI.ORG. Why don't they post this, rather than you putting it up on DCP? We keep going to the site looking for material. Tell us to stop until the material is up, then announce it on DCI.ORG. They posted that field pass was up, why not tell us that there is a delay on the videos. Some peolple are worried about their subscriptions.