Everyone Must Read!

With all the knowledge that is out there, can't we come up with a plan to assist the growth of drum and bugle corps?  Everyday I read posts from extremely intelligent, drum corps-minded people.  We sit here and type away....and that's it.  Is there something that all of us can do to make this activity grow? 

Okay I opened up my mouth and started this, what about the rest of you?  Chime in here.

Good thought Keith.

I have always believed that it is OUR (corps alumni) responsibility to give back to the activity that gave us so much by assuring that more kids have the same opportunity.

My first suggestion would be to think about taking all of the effort and money that is spent on "alumni corps" and use it to fund opportunties for more young people to participate.

Nothing wrong with us geezers getting together to play and march around a bit, but just think of the new corps we could create if we refocused our energies.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of us have been trying to do things to get our voices heard. So don't sit there and preach about us not doing anything. We have personally talked to the board of directors or written letters or at least TRIED to get our voices heard. I even went to the BOD meeting to try and see what could we do to get our voices heard....and I tried but to no avail...

They just don't want to hear it, they'd rather we leave them alone and throw all those wonderful adages at us. "There's always DCA, if you don't like it, leave".

Yeah, those are constructive for the activity right? :whistle:  :sshh:

Steph,

I thought they DID listen to what you had to say. You made some sort of presentation on behalf of the anti-ampers, didn't you?

Listening and agreeing with you are two different things. Maybe they listened and decided You (the royal You, not the Steph "you") were going down the wrong road and moved on to the next item for discussion.

Mike, home from band camp for a day for a day of peace and quiet at my "day job" :P

Some of us have been trying to do things to get our voices heard. So don't sit there and preach about us not doing anything. We have personally talked to the board of directors or written letters or at least TRIED to get our voices heard. I even went to the BOD meeting to try and see what could we do to get our voices heard....and I tried but to no avail...

They just don't want to hear it, they'd rather we leave them alone and throw all those wonderful adages at us. "There's always DCA, if you don't like it, leave".

Yeah, those are constructive for the activity right? :whistle:  :sshh:

Again, everything you described above is talking, perhaps to a different audience, but still talking. If you are satisfied with that as an antecedent for change, then you shouldn't be surprised at the results.

Don't get you dander up - this isn't criticism, just simple analytical observation. Somewhere along the line, you've taken an ownership position in these issues. When we do that, we also gave to take ownership/responsibility for our actions - or lack thereof. I'm just sayin'......

Respectfully,

Michael Terry (the elder)

Again, everything you described above is talking, perhaps to a different audience, but still talking.  If you are satisfied with that as an antecedent for change, then you shouldn't be surprised at the results.

Don't get you dander up - this isn't criticism, just simple analytical observation.  Somewhere along the line, you've taken an ownership position in these issues.  When we do that, we also gave to take ownership/responsibility for our actions - or lack thereof.  I'm just sayin'......

Respectfully,

Michael Terry (the elder)

What do you suggest Michael? Do you suggest volunteering? How will that help DCI grow? Just curious as to what you think we should do to affect change.

I was just thinking about something, being that finding GOOD COOK STAFF is hard to find, why couldn't the corps go to their nearest college or university and go to the faculty of culinary fine arts and get some undergraduate students to go on tour with them.

They get to learn how to feed a mass of people, how to budget and even try some of their own dishes on the corps.

The corps could work it out with the professor or whoever and the students get graded for their performance by the corps. 

Just a thought!!  :whistle:

Um, I don't remember the year (early 90's I think), but the bluecoats did have a student from a culinary arts school on tour with them as their "executive chef" and he was doing it pretty much for the reason you said to gain experience planning and serving 3 meals a day for over 200 people. don't know what became of this experiment, but it sounded like a good idea when I heard they were doing it.

I do remember a bunch of guys got together in the 1970's because they didn't want to be ruled by the American Legion and VFW anymore.  They got together and formed this drum and bugle corps organization.

Just saying....

It may not be  easy, but it couldn't hoit (hurt).

Very true Keith, but that group of guys was the directors of the top corps of the day.

I don't think you will find todays current group(The Bod) trying to break away from DCI and make the kind of radical changes that the combines did in 71 & 72.

They, for the most part seem happy with the "Status Quo" :(

I was just thinking about something, being that finding GOOD COOK STAFF is hard to find, why couldn't the corps go to their nearest college or university and go to the faculty of culinary fine arts and get some undergraduate students to go on tour with them.

They get to learn how to feed a mass of people, how to budget and even try some of their own dishes on the corps.

The corps could work it out with the professor or whoever and the students get graded for their performance by the corps. 

Just a thought!!  :blink:

That is genius!!! :blink: I am planning to attend a culinary school and I will bring it up.

Very true Keith, but that group of guys was the directors of the top corps of the day.

I don't think you will find todays current group(The Bod) trying to break away from DCI and make the kind of radical changes that the combines did in 71 & 72.

They, for the most part seem happy with the "Status Quo"  :(

There is too much money in it for them personally to make waves. There was no money in it for the original orginizations that eventually created DCI - it came from their hearts. H#$$ even cymbal instructors(techs) get paid now! When did that happen? :o

What do you suggest Michael?  Do you suggest volunteering?  How will that help DCI grow?  Just curious as to what you think we should do to affect change.

I laid out an antecedent for change in the thread Build it and they will come? as a means to substantially address the concerns of the disenfranchised fan. Are my ideas for everyine? No. But I would expect at least a few of the alledged thousands in this category to take up the call to arms and advance their vision with positive action.

And as I've stated elsewhere - before responding with the standard "it can't be done without tons of money, knowledge or influence" - remember that you're telling that to someone who's actually done it! Someone who founded and ran a corps on a shoestring 25 years ago that is still going strong today. (and no, it's not among the DCI top 12). So, I don't buy the excuses.

Southwind has had its ups and downs (and even off/inactive years), but it's still on the field today and giving the members a great experience they can be proud of!

Respectfully,

Michael Terry

I laid out an antecedent for change in the thread Build it and they will come? as a means to substantially address the concerns of the disenfranchised fan.  Are my ideas for everyine? No.  But I would expect at least a few of the alledged thousands in this category to take up the call to arms and advance their vision with positive action.

And as I've stated elsewhere - before responding with the standard "it can't be done without tons of money, knowledge or influence" - remember that you're telling that to someone who's actually done it! Someone who founded and ran a corps on a shoestring 25 years ago that is still going strong today. (and no, it's not among the DCI top 12). So, I don't buy the excuses.

Southwind has had its ups and downs (and even off/inactive years), but it's still on the field today and giving the members a great experience they can be proud of!

Respectfully,

Michael Terry

You started one corps, but you need more than one corps to compete. Bawkers response to you was right on the money.

Edited by deftguy