Southern drum corps family - check in.

Su left me a voice mail sometime this morning.  She is in Texas somewhere.  She sounded very rattled and rather distraught.  :(

i tried to call her back but the cell signals are skitzy at best.  :(

Liz: from our American flag party captain:'

I just heard from Su. She drove back to Louisiana to check on her house and her Mom who lives across the river and she is ok.

She cannot get into New Orleans or Metairie where she lives at all because everything is flooded. All power lines are down and all of the trees are gone.

They can't get into New orleans for at least another week and she is quite sure her house is under water so she is going back to Texas to stay in a hotel. They found a room to stay in for at least a week.

When I can get through to her again, I will see if there is anything she needs that we can send quickly.

So it might be a no news is good news thingy in that it sounds as if her family is ok... if nothing else is.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vic Kulinski told me that Nolan Jones of the Jackson Generals called him last night but did not leave a message.  Safe to say no news is good news in that case.  We just want to know how the rest of the Generals corps members are.

I haven't heard from anyone in Jackson yet. But the web site just came back up.

I'm 80 miles north, in Starkville(Go Dogs!) and we had 70+ MPH winds. Several places here still without power.

I'l try to get in tough with a few people in Jackson.

Fuel is looking to be a big issue down this way. I've heard of shortages (no gas) along I-55 nearly to TN.

Don't expect many Corps or individuals from South MS or AL to make Scranton.

The Jackson area is slowly coming back up. I shut down the web servers here to prevent any file corruption. Good thing too, just got power this morning.

Power is still off at my home in Brandon. If it isn't back up soon, we'll be throwing out a lot of food. (Actually taking it to shelter sites for them to use) Fortunately my neighborhood had a lot less damage than most of the community. I do need a new roof though. Anyone know how to raise 2 baby squirrels? Found them on the ground yesterday. Their eyes aren't opened yet and seem to be in surprisingly good shape.

My five year old and two year old boys are getting pretty tired of the hot house and candles.

Not many casualties in this area. I haven't been able to get in touch with our guys in Hattiesburg to Gulfport yet. I hoping they were able to clear out in time.

I remember Camille passing over Jackson in '69. It was a Cat1 by then, like Katrina. Katrina was a lot bigger in size.

Thanks to everyone for your concern. As we get a better info I'll let you all know.

Vic Kulinski told me that Nolan Jones of the Jackson Generals called him last night but did not leave a message.  Safe to say no news is good news in that case.  We just want to know how the rest of the Generals corps members are.

The connection cut out before I could lkeave a message with him. Vic had generously offered for me to tag along with HW for Scranton. I was just trying to let him know I'll be sticking around here.

We had a Jackson Generals performance schedlued for September 10 with the Mississippi Symphony. That is up in the air for now.

Good luck to all in PA this week!

The connection cut out before I could lkeave a message with him. Vic had generously offered for me to tag along with HW for Scranton. I was just trying to let him know I'll be sticking around here.

We had a Jackson Generals performance schedlued for  September 10 with the Mississippi Symphony. That is up in the air for now.

Good luck to all in PA this week!

Nolan,

Good to hear from you. Keep us posted on how things are going down there. Sorry you can't make it to Scranton. We'll do The South proud (along with CV, Alliance, HW, Gold and GCS).

My wife and I left McComb, MS last Sunday because I knew we'd lose power for a good deal of time and with her being 8 1/2 months pregnant I knew she couldn't do without air for an extended period of time. We headed to her sister's in Arkansas. Got a report of two trees down in our yard and lots of shingles missing off of the house. Some power was restored in McComb yesterday.

Have heard reports that Hattiesburg is pretty bad, with some of the same desperate actions happening there as in New Orleans and on the Gulf Coast. Hwy. 49 is closed from the coast to Hattiesburg to all civilian traffic. Camp Shebly, MS is being used as a staging area for all military assistance being provided to the Gulf region.

My unit has been activated for assisting in the cleanup/recovery efforts on the Gulf Coast. So, I'll be seeing things firsthand pretty soon. For anybody trying to reach people in the affected areas...for some reason text messages on cell phones are going through with a little more reliability than are phone calls.

Everybody be safe.

Great News! My daughter (who should be a detective) has found my father-in-law. She has ascertained that he is well. She also was able to get a better track on mother, brother and sisters in law. Who would evacuate to Bayou Minette, Alabama? My brother in law I guess.

The bottomline is that it looks like I'll get to experience the wonder of DCA Finals weekend live again this year.

And with that all I can say is good luck to everyone and to CRU-----

WE GO ON! You CAN do it!

Tom

Tom MaKinster

Executive Director

North Coast Rock

P.S. Thanks to everyone that sent their thoughts and prayers. My wife seems very relieved!

I'm told that at least 3 members of the Crossmen and 1 member of The Cadets lost their homes. The Crossmen's housing site in Bay St. Louis (a small Catholic college) was completely destroyed. I hope some corps will post some information on their sites with information like this. Perhaps we could organize as a drum corps community to send help to these individuals to help them personally rebuild.