DCI on ESPN2...

As I have said elsewhere before, "This broadcast is not for you." DCI is putting together a documentry of Finals that will entice those who do not know the activity to attend other events. If they edit and rearrange the order of Finals to pretend that SCV went on 8th and finished 8trh, where is the drama? There is so little drama in top 12 finishes any more anyway, why do they edit it out? How does the show benefit?

You just don't get it. It is a TV show that shows what happened on Finals Night. I think DCI goes down a very difficult path when they agree to edit what happened. Who knows what happens next year? Will they be able to keep everyone happy? Is that possible? Should your exposure time be based on a mathematical formula that includes the score, the number of standing ovations during the show, and number of guest performers you have? Should personal interest stories be arranged and timed based on an inverse proportion of corps funding and number of bus breakdowns? They need to get the best TV show out there, and you need to buy the DVDs if you really want to know how the performances were and how your corps did. They will arrange these shows and edit the performances to give a two hour show the movement and excitment it needs for entertainment based on the audience they are trying to capture. It is not about SCV or Boston, it is about TV.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to recall 2004...

I don't think Bluecoats made the PBS broadcast last year even though they

finished 6th.  Carolina Crown was on even though they finished 7th.  I recall

being told it was due to the semi-finals placement.  Kind of lame if that's ing to

reason.

I'm pretty confident that through most or all of DCI's broadcast history, the lineup of corps has always been determined by the semifinals placements, hence SCV exclusion from this year's broadcast, as well as several other noted exclusions from the past.

Why? Not sure exactly, but I would guess it has something to do with PLANNING the finals broadcast and knowing which corps will be represented, and giving the broadcast some sort natural flow. Remember 1996 when they changed the order on the VHS videos to reflect not the order of performance, but the order of finish? People HATED that...

M

It's because of the DCI / DCP bias against the Cadets.   :whistle:

Mike

:P

Fabulous! Good one! :)

Edited by LancerFi

It's because of the DCI / DCP bias against the Cadets.  :whistle:

Mike

Oh Sure!

Just because YOU"RE the boss, you go and start some ####!!! :P :P ^0^

j/k Mike-j/k!!

Why not offer a poster for every D1 corps? Heck, it wouldn't be all that hard to offer a poster for D2 and D3 for that matter.

They can't be all that hard to produce. Same template, just throw in a different pic and .pdf it.

The members of the Santa Clara Vanguard worked their tails off this year.

As did the other corps on the field this year.

All their effort paid off at finals when from all accounts they performed one of the best shows of the evening. For all their efforts they were awarded 8th place by the judges, two spots above their seeding. How does DCI award them?

Um, with a medal and a patch, I believe. Not with a "guaranteed" TV slot.

In the promotion for the television broadcast of the nights competition DCI provides 8 posters. These posters represent the corps that placed 1st through 7th and the 9th place corps. OK they want to broadcast the event as it happened. I’ll live with it, but I think they should change that part of the format. Who can explain why the posters were based on the semi-final results?

Because the broadcast is showing the last 8 corps to perform at Finals.

Who in DCI made this decision? I think the decision shows no respect for the accomplishments of the 2005 Santa Clara Vanguard. I would feel this strongly if they treated any corps in this manner.

The decision has nothing to do with respecting or disrespecting any corps and everything to do with how DCI chose to present the broadcast. SCV still finishes 8th overall at the end of the broadcast.

Just as a thought...

We should ALL email ESPN / ESPN2 to let them know how APPRECIATIVE we are that they are showing drum corps on a major television network. With an excess of emails and letters, they MIGHT do it again next year. And they MIGHT just put it on regular ESPN... who knows.

Just remember to send an email yourself... and tell those that you know to do the same.

~chris :whistle:

As did the other corps on the field this year.

Um, with a medal and a patch, I believe.  Not with a "guaranteed" TV slot.

Because the broadcast is showing the last 8 corps to perform at Finals.

The decision has nothing to do with respecting or disrespecting any corps and everything to do with how DCI chose to present the broadcast.  SCV still finishes 8th overall at the end of the broadcast.

Finally, a Voice of Reason, and hitting the nail directly on the head.

The members of the Santa Clara Vanguard worked their tails off this year. All their effort paid off at finals when from all accounts they performed one of the best shows of the evening. For all their efforts they were awarded 8th place by the judges, two spots above their seeding. How does DCI award them? In the promotion for the television broadcast of the nights competition DCI provides 8 posters. These posters represent the corps that placed 1st through 7th and the 9th place corps. OK they want to broadcast the event as it happened. I’ll live with it, but I think they should change that part of the format. Who can explain why the posters were based on the semi-final results? Who in DCI made this decision? I think the decision shows no respect for the accomplishments of the 2005 Santa Clara Vanguard. I would feel this strongly if they treated any corps in this manner.

Uhhhhh....it happened to Bluecoats last year...and the bottom 6 didn't get longer clips...and this years bottom 4 won't get longer clips. All corps work their tails off...and SCV is not superior to any of them. Just because they usually rank in the top 4 doesn't mean they get special privileges.