Over 60 and still Competing DCA..?

I think you're referring to Scotty McFee.  Scotty passed last year, but was always active with the Skyliners as he was a charter member.  We miss him dearly.  The Skyliners Alumni has charter members who are still active in the drum corps community whether playing in the Alumni, or singing in our Chorus.

I won't forget to mention our "seasoned" American Section who also fit into this group of well-distinguished gentlemen.

I love to hear the stories of when they march best!

Barbara

OMG, I remember marching Macy's in 1994, and riding the bus with Sky's American Section!!!! I never heard old people say the f-word before! What fun people!!!! Great stories!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Kilties we have a saying:

"There's Superman,

there's Batman,

there's Spiderman...

and then there's Eschman!"

Bob Eschman started marching in the Kilties in 1949 and is still marching mellophone in 2005!  Bob is well into his 60s. After aging out of Kilties, Bob marched in the Boys of 76 throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s.  He joined the Kiltes in the 90s and is still marching in the 00s!  He's marched in 7 different decades!

....I'm not known to be one who uses the word.."Precious".........but your statement qualifies......... :blink:

Think Fran Haring reported that one of the original Cabs is in the Cabs Alumni this year. Last year two original Cabs were with the Alumni at the Harrisburg Forum concert.

And yeah, Harvey Olderman pretty sure he was in his 80s and still the Honor Guard captain in the early 1980s.

In the Kilties we have a saying:

"There's Superman,

there's Batman,

there's Spiderman...

and then there's Eschman!"

Bob Eschman started marching in the Kilties in 1949 and is still marching mellophone in 2005!  Bob is well into his 60s. After aging out of Kilties, Bob marched in the Boys of 76 throughout the 60s, 70s and 80s.  He joined the Kiltes in the 90s and is still marching in the 00s!  He's marched in 7 different decades!

but if you think about it Kilties only have around 5 -7 people in the hornline under 35 years old I am a youngin at 27 years young

makes you think....

but if you think about it  Kilties only have around 5 -7 people in the hornline under 35 years old  I am a youngin at 27 years young

makes you think....

I believe it. Every time I see the Kilties, and yes....you get a standing "O" from me

always, it appears as though somebody said...."Eh we gotta a show".....so you come outta the woods........drop your axe......pick up your horn and proceed to the show and take my face off. This is a compliment in the sincereist way.

You never fail to entertain :blink:

Lancers has at least two in their 70s. One marchs sop in parades and the other is an instructor who follows us during parades to make sure we're OK.

Nothing like a 70 something man asking me (48) if I'm OK.  :blink:

Probably a few 60+ marching parades but I don't know them that well as this is only my second year with the corps.

In the 80s I was in main guard (Westshoremen) with the late Al Behren who was (I think) in his late 60s and drove up from Baltimore. Will have to check his DCHOF write up but he ended up with 50+ years in corps.

RIP Al. came up from when the Rebels folded until his death in early 1994.

Petey still comes up from Baltimore for alumni gigs.

Besides Frank Lozar, MBI had dick Maki marching the full field show when he was well into his 60s. I think he was 67 in his last year on the field. Maybe someone can narrow it down for me. Dick is still marching with the Zuhrah Shriners in Minneapolis.

In MBI's 60th season, it will march a certain bald soprano player who will also be in his 60th year.

you're bald?

:P

Claude Suthard - Skyliners Alumni corps and original Skyliner. He's 80+ and still playing. Look for the guy with the mellophone in one hand and a folding chair in the other one.

Saw the pics from a few years ago. My first thought was "More power to you buddy". :blink::tic::blink:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

you're bald?

:P

:blink:

Jeff:

Lighten up on my soon to be hexagarian friend, or some of might forget we enjoy your posts, good , bad or indifferent. :P

You only WISH you could play like Roger at that age! (I know I do !) :blink:

Pat