New stadium in Indy

In Memorial Stadium, the seats were designed to be VERY close to the sidelines (meaning you'll FEEL the sound from those Bb horns) AND the seats literally go STRAIGHT UP meaning you'll not only be close enough to hear drum corps as God intended, but high enough to get a good look at all of those innovative scatter drills and park and barks.

If you're a brass player though...be warned...that judges box is up there!

The press box in Bloomington is roughly the same height as the box in Allentown. It's just not 10 miles away from the field B)

And yes, Indiana University plays football...we have 6 national championships...oh...whats that?...you meant AMERICAN football?  :worthy: 

:whistle:

Actually, it's 7! Freitag got his first of what's sure to be many more when IU beat UC-Santa Barbara in PK's last year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The press box in Memorial Stadium isn't all that bad angle-wise. Maybe if you aim at the top deck, it is quite a large box. IMHO Memorial's box height is just about right in my book. Compared to neck breakers like Camp Randall that is. Maybe I am just biased from all the hours I spent getting my butt kicked in Memorial, that is Star holy ground.

The new stadium in Indy looks awesome! I am sure that even with the sizable amount of structure left with the roof and sides retracted, the acoustics would be far superior the RCA dome. My heart aches with the thought of all the band and corps shows I have seen in that dome over the years, and how much better they would have been in the open breeze. The new place looks perfect for a future finals, though I sure would like to see such a show grace the friendly confines of Paul Brown here in Cincy.

Edited by mchromik

Boy I hope that DCI can give Indy world championships after this thing is built. b**bs

A few thoughts.

I think everyone can agree that the RCA Dome has horrible acoustics. I feel so bad for the many people that sit outside the 40's (or anywhere too high or too low)... especially if it is their first-ever drum corps experience. I can't imagine how many potential new fans might walk away and not give the activity another thought.

Personally, the Indy show is a social event for me. I just go and hang with friends and fellow-alumns. Drink some beverage. Check out the parking lot activity. I will not pay for what the dome provides. I'm more likely to pay for a return to the Bloomington soccer field ('86, '87) show than to pay for DCI at the RCA dome. OK - glad to get that off of my chest.

It should be safe to assume that the new facility will have better acoustics, as they can't be much worse. But as excited as I am about the new stadium, I'm not ready to cite it as the perfect venue. Those that are claiming this, are being a little presumoptious. It is positive that DCI, ISSMA and BOA are all seen as valuable clients, which means that good changes for them, should be good changes for the stadium ... which could mean temporary acoustic solutions that are installed for music events (crossing fingers).

Speaking of other venues ... can somebody tell me about IUPUI's football stadium? I have no idea that such a think exists. They do have a track and soccer field, but it is hardly regional quality (um, barely typical DCI show quality, considering all of the other options in the area).

Bloomington Memorial Stadium - why not? I mean, they have lights in that stadium, thanks to drum corps. It's large, there is hotel and parking space. A fairly central location. Long term, when I-69 is done, travel there will be near ideal.

As stated, Notre Dame Stadium is not an option. Even if Ross Aide were available, I personally find the location of West Lafayette too much "in the sticks" (this coming from somebody that lives in Terre Haute :P). There really are no other facilities in Indiana that are DCI Regional-ready. BUT - there are plenty of regions and stadiums in Indiana that are starving for local shows. But that's another thread.

Hey, we're already pushing hard for a Super Bowl, so why not?  :)

(oh, and I sure hope we can get finals here sometime too  :P)

We get Super Bowl XL in Detroit here this January, should be pretty crazy. People on ESPN are already complaining about spending a week in Detroit in the dead of winter. However the staduim is indoors, so the game will be fine. If they can survive Detroit maybe it will help out the Indianapolis cause for a Super Bowl. b**bs

Here's to Indy getting DCI finals...the city deserves it for their support of BOA and the DCI regional over the years. :worthy:

Bloomington Memorial Stadium - why not?  I mean, they have lights in that stadium, thanks to drum corps.  It's large, there is hotel and parking space.  A fairly central location.  Long term, when I-69 is done, travel there will be near ideal.

When I-69 is done? LOL!!! Long term is right...he//, they've been trying to get I-69 extended for years now to no avail, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that.

Besides, you can always take I-70 to Highway 41 to get to Evansville, and stop in Vintucky at a fast food resturaunt to stimulate the economy along the way, we don't need no stinkin I-69.

Go Hoosiers!!!

When I-69 is done?  LOL!!!  Long term is right...he//, they've been trying to get I-69 extended for years now to no avail, so I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that.

Besides, you can always take I-70 to Highway 41 to get to Evansville, and stop in Vintucky at a fast food resturaunt to stimulate the economy along the way, we don't need no stinkin I-69.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Greetings from the Lone Star State!

Now wait a minute,.. the I-69 corridor is all part of the Bush conspiracy and the Texas-Mexico-Midwest Nafta Super Highway right?? Which means it will be a reality as sure as Halliburton will get another contract in the middle east. :P

GO BOILERS!!!!!!

BC